GA-PCOM Biomedical Sciences Program 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissV8787

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone begun applying for this program yet for Fall 2010? Anyone accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm gonna start applying in January, right after I take my GRE, even though I have taken the MCAT (I didn't do so well on it)

if you don't mind me asking what are your stats? Have you taken the MCAT or are planning to retake it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my application in December. I called to check my status and from what I understood, they're not really looking at them yet.

I called them a few days ago to make sure my application was complete and she told me that they start reviewing apps in January and that my app was under review. So...they could be reviewing them or she could have just said that b/c after the file is complete it automatically is switched to being reviewed, who knows....MCAT 22O GPA 3.23

I called them a few days ago to make sure my application was complete and she told me that they start reviewing apps in January and that my app was under review. So...they could be reviewing them or she could have just said that b/c after the file is complete it automatically is switched to being reviewed, who knows....MCAT 22O GPA 3.23

Yea, I've done everything but submit my letter of rec and my $50 dollar application fee. But we have roughly the same stats 3.1 GPA and 20O MCAT.

Yea, I've done everything but submit my letter of rec and my $50 dollar application fee. But we have roughly the same stats 3.1 GPA and 20O MCAT.

awesome...I had the app complete so early b/c i applied to DO school there but then rethought it and applied for the biomed program considering my stats compared better to that...so all it took was another application and 50 dollars and I was done. Good luck! I'll keep you updated

are you applying to the Georgia campus or the one in philly?

I applied to the phi campus for this program and am currently on hold for decision ><

I also applied to this program (PCOM - PA) and am awaiting a decision. Any ideas for how long they usually take to get back to you on a decision?

well. I got my response of a hold on decision within about 2-3 weeks of submitting my application. It came inside the mail.

well. I got my response of a hold on decision within about 2-3 weeks of submitting my application. It came inside the mail.

I submitted my application earlier this month and received a letter this week stating that my application was complete and would be evaluated soon. Jslo85, was this the same letter you got? My origional question was relating to how long a decision would take after receiving the confirmation letter. Sorry, I probably should have been more clear on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my application earlier this month and received a letter this week stating that my application was complete and would be evaluated soon. Jslo85, was this the same letter you got? My origional question was relating to how long a decision would take after receiving the confirmation letter. Sorry, I probably should have been more clear on that.

for PA campus:
After 2 weeks of completing my application and other supplements, I received a letter informing me that my file is under review and they will let me know their decision shortly. A week after that, they sent me another letter stating I am on hold.

oh i didn't know that I had been asked a question but yes, what forrealz said

Are you still on hold? if you don't mind me asking?

I don't think I will be accepted, I am taking this hold as a rejection.

I am still on hold since I haven't heard back from them since, I'd actually probably wait, most SMPs don't start making their decision until around now to next month. Why do you think you probably won't get in? You can PM me if you want to keep it private.

hey guys, I'm not sure if I'll get in either. You can PM me your stats and I can PM my stats to you. This is my #1 choice for SMPs. Have you guys submitted everything. I'm waiting on my LOR. The application seems pretty straightforward. Fill it out. Send in $50 and 1 LOR. Nothing too complicated.

Why is everyone so doubtful about getting in..that makes even more nervous :confused: . I'm currently applying to PA and I'm really hoping to get in as I don't have much hope for other programs. My stats are mediocre..GPA ~3 and MCAT 29 but good EC. What do guys think?

it's probably because their requirements are so vague, I think you should be fine jmkgoll, your MCAT is competitive for DO programs and your GPA places you in the area where getting into a D.O. SMP shouldn't be an issue. PCOM biomedical has a solid reputation, there should be a flood of candidates pouring in that either got waitlisted or didn't receive an interview for their medical school applying now.

Yes their application process is quite straightforward. To be honest, I'm wary myself knowing that they are supposedly a "rolling admissions" program and that I have been placed on hold for about 2-3 weeks now but all other SMPs are currently in the process of starting reviews and handing out earlier acceptances therefore, I felt that you shouldn't count yourself (myself X_X) rejected just yet. Granted PCOM stands far higher than one of the other SMPs that just offered me acceptance (Barry University's MBS option 1: accelerated 1 year track). I mean I received an interview invite to another SMP recently so common sense would lead me to think that I can't be THAT hopeless yet =( I feel that waiting will often bring about good tides (hopefully!)

I'm thiking about applying to Barry as well and after talking to them, it seems like getting in shouldn't be hurdle. I've seen posts here regarding their "unofficial linkage" to Nova-D.O. but other than that I'm kind of hesitant since they don't have official ties with a med program. How do you feel about going there next year?

haha

well I don't exactly know how to answer that. I'm still waiting to hear back from the schools i sent secondaries to, but I'm guessing it won't be favorable realistically. Barry Univ. MBS was a backup for me if you will, I'm from the pacific NW so moving across the country and attending a program that is relatively expensive with no direct linkage for an SMP would not be an optimal option. I've heard good and "bad" stories from Barry, it seems to work very well for pre-dental students, especially with NSU. I've also heard numerous stories of students who completed the BMS program at Barry who have gotten into D.O. and MD programs. That said, the consensus seems to be it is slightly less competitive academically and has a "lesser reputation" than other Masters programs out there such as PCOM but that D.O. schools around that region think relatively highly of it? (PCOM GA/NSU etc). They have NSU professors teaching, their curriculum on their website is comparable to other programs/1st year medical school, and from what i hear, letters of rec. are pretty easy to get as you have close relationships with faculty. But do try and make it into their 1 year track, I heard the drop off for acceptance for their students to the schools they wish to enter is pretty steep outside of the accelerated track.

I don't know, Barry is and has always been an option, but for me, it is pretty low on my list of options if I don't make it into medical school this year, mainly for its cost and how far it is.

I didn't realize you've applied this year, wish you luck. I'm pretty much with you on barry, cost, location (i'm from CA) and also the high level of uncertainty. We'll just have to wait n see i guess.

yeah I did apply this cycle but it's.. not likely. I had a hard time answering that because I in no way wanted to portray Barry in a negative light, it was just more personal reasons than anything else that makes me not see it as a priority place to attend. I am really happy I got in, acceptances are more than welcome! I just hope it's the same for the other SMPs that I applied to.

Hoping someone may help me here.

I'm applying to the Philadelphia campus. I wanted to know how you guys sent in your MCAT scores. When I went to the score report site, there was no option for PCOM Post-bacc (BIOMED SCI). How do we do this? I've applied to PCOM for osteopathic medicine, but not sure if they would get my MCAT scores from that department.

Also, since the application is online, it means we pay online or do we print the application and mail it along with the check?

Thanks in advance.

First question, you can do it one of two was, there is no option to send it to PCOM's post bacc program but PCOM is listed on the MCAT THX site. You can send it in, and they will store it in your file or if you feel more comfortable, you can create a score report, e-mail them the verification code/report OR print it out and fax it in. Call in to make sure it was recieved and if not, who to attn: it to you to make sure it is recieved.

Second question, you can submit a credit card payment online or mail it in with a check, either way works, whichever is most comfortable to you. Dr. Bevenger is pretty prompt in e-mailing you bcak when your application is complete. Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot Jslo for the prompt reply! I logged onto MCAT THX and sent in my score.

How long after your file has been completed do they start reviewing and notifying you about your acceptance? edit: nvm, read the posts above. Also did you send in your LOR through interfolio? I hear PCOM is pretty slow with that. I sent in my LORs thru interfolio when applying for the osteopathic medicine program and they received it 1 month later. Also in your PS, did you guys talk about how the biomed program at PCOM will help you achieve your goals?

Thanks in advance. And, sorry for asking many questions. Hopefully, we all will have a wonderful application cycle.

They'll notify you if they recieved all the materials that they require for a "complete" application and that will be by mail unless you want a more prompt reply which you can always call in to check to see if they have recieved everything they need.

I submitted my LOR by interfolio. Sometimes SMPs (my personal experience) has had a few issues with interfolio submission because with electronic delivery, when you enter the address and have the site search for it using key words, it will send it straight to D.O. admissions instead of the MBS program and they will have to retrieve it through some effort. I'd suggest sending by interfolio electronically and call them to make sure they recieved it, letting them know the method of delivery, but if you really wanted to make sure, enter address manually. It'll cost a bit more money but at least you know the delivery will be sent to the program admissions directly and won't be lost.

My application is put on hold for decision, it seems as if a few other applicants have been as well. I think this is normal if your application is not as competitive as they would normally like to see (mine =X) but from other old threads I have read, it seems like it could be procedural as well as there are canddiates who have had a 3.3 and a 30ish MCAT who were also placed on hold for decision till sometime in march to may before notified of a decision. I think for me, it was a week after materials recieved that I recieved the mail of complete application, probably 2-3 weeks later that it was on hold.

I don't know if I'll get in either. I'm applying to the GA campus with 26 on my MCAT and a 2.667 UG GPA (gross I know) and four hours of postbacc biology class (I got an A). I'm taking 11 more hours now, and Im wondering if I wouldn't be better off waiting until this semester is done and I have more grades to add. It wont make a huge difference to my GPA but at least they will be able to see that I can do well. I dont know...

I don't know if I'll get in either. I'm applying to the GA campus with 26 on my MCAT and a 2.667 UG GPA (gross I know) and four hours of postbacc biology class (I got an A). I'm taking 11 more hours now, and Im wondering if I wouldn't be better off waiting until this semester is done and I have more grades to add. It wont make a huge difference to my GPA but at least they will be able to see that I can do well. I dont know...
You may able to call and arrange to speak with an admissions person who can help advise you here. Also, your GPA may be looked up differently depending upon your story, trends, etc. Outside of losing your $50 wager, I don't see a lot of downside to trying.

Hey, is it true that if you speak with an admissions person, they may be able to give advice and let you know what your chances are in gaining an admission in the post-bacc program?
Thanks in advance!
P.S. thanks Jslo for your replies! I hope you get an acceptance soon :)

mmm.. the admissions ppl at PCOM are pretty good at answering the phone and questions and Dr. Bevenger is prompt in replying to e-mails. I really have no idea you can try and update us on what you find out.

mmm.. the admissions ppl at PCOM are pretty good at answering the phone and questions and Dr. Bevenger is prompt in replying to e-mails. I really have no idea you can try and update us on what you find out.

Thanks! What's his email btw? I can only see the [email protected] one, but they're very slow in answering their emails.

Hey guys, I got accepted to the biomed program in philly!!! I got a letter in the mail last week. I'm really excited...just wondering how I'm going to finance the whole thing. I'll have to make a decision soon. Anyone else hear anything? I hope you guys get in too!

Wait, don't they offer Financial aid?
Congrats for getting in!

mmm possibly? I'm really not sure, I was under the impression that SMPs were known to be "expensive" in the sense that they don't offer financial aid. I really could be wrong, it is just an assumption that I somehow got a while ago, I mean medical schools need some way to make money right?

Congrats on getting in btw!

Thanks jmkgoll and jslo85!

I looked on their website about financial aid (graduate programs only) as the acceptance letter described. Here is the link: http://www.pcom.edu/Financial_Aid/Graduate_Program_Financial_Aid/Graduate_Program_Financial_Aid.html

I would definitely have to find a job in philly if I decide to attend, which is a big concern. I'm not sure how the job market is out there, but I'm sure it has to be better than what my state (AZ) has to offer (at least work related to my major).

I think my file was complete as of 1/25 with GAPCOM so I hope to get a letter this week in the mail. I have spoken with Trena and Trina and both are very good at answering phone calls and emails. Im just hoping for the best! Anyone going to the open house on March 5th???

I think my file was complete as of 1/25 with GAPCOM so I hope to get a letter this week in the mail. I have spoken with Trena and Trina and both are very good at answering phone calls and emails. Im just hoping for the best! Anyone going to the open house on March 5th???

same here...my file was complete around that time maybe a lil earlier and i havent gotten anything yet...The open house is a lil far to go for just 2 hours considering i live in tampa, but good luck!

hey guys, what exactly did you guys put in your personal statement?

umm I don't exactly remember, I just answered the questions that were asked and gave personal reasons why I wanted to go to the program. I would think it would vary/be different for everyone.. ?

hey guys, for those of you who have gotten in, what have your stats been? Are you guys applying to any other SMPs. Is anyone else applying to traditional master's programs too.

I know that this is completely off topic ... but how is Barry University? Im not familiar with the school I applied because it was a biomedical sciences program... is a good school? how is the campus and the campus life?

I also applied for Philly but they said that my decision is on hold.. and I am waiting for GA-PCOM and RFU

I know that this is completely off topic ... but how is Barry University? Im not familiar with the school I applied because it was a biomedical sciences program... is a good school? how is the campus and the campus life?

I also applied for Philly but they said that my decision is on hold.. and I am waiting for GA-PCOM and RFU

When was your application complete? did you apply to both pcom campuses at the same time?
Everyone who has posted here seems to be on hold for PA, except for one person I think. Hold = no decision, are they Unable to make decisions?? :thumbdown: I HATE HOLDS

I received my acceptance letter last thursday for PCOM-Philly

Are these GPAs taking into consideration repeats? I have a repeat GPA of 3.4 but only 3.0 for science.

Does anyone have any data on success rates for matriculating into med school (DO or MD) after completing the certificate program? What percent of the class was accepted where? I'm trying to sort all of this out to make the best decision.

Thanks!