GA-PCOM Biomedical Sciences Program 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys- I got in! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
YeY for you :)
how long would you say it took to get the acceptance letter?

hey guys, thanks for the love...I filled out the online application during winter break, BUT I just sent my LOR, personal statement, and application fee like 2 weeks ago. If you really want to go to this program, you should apply ASAP!

Hey everyone,

Would it be too late to apply to the 1 year certificate program and/or do i NEED to?

undergrad gpa 2.44
post bac gpa 3.96 (1 semester to go, mix of public health and science)

At the end of this semester, before applying to next cycle:
cgpa = 3.1
science gpa = 2.94

Mcat: 29Q (11PS, 7VR, 11BS)

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

Would it be too late to apply to the 1 year certificate program and/or do i NEED to?

undergrad gpa 2.44
post bac gpa 3.96 (1 semester to go, mix of public health and science)

At the end of this semester, before applying to next cycle:
cgpa = 3.1
science gpa = 2.9
Mcat: 29Q (11PS, 7VR, 11BS)

Thanks!

If you apply now, I don't think it is too late to apply. Your MCAT is good, so I think your definitely gonna get into an osteopathic school, with the right amount of grades presented which an SMP should allow you to do. Maybe even allopathic schools might give you an interview depending on grade improvement.

Does PCOM use the AACOMAS method to calculate cGPA and sGPA?

I got a 3.0 exactly cGPA using grade forgiveness and retakes from my 11 Ws and 2Fs and D and a 23L MCAT.

Also, when a previous poster said that PCOM admissions helpline will give advice and chances on acceptance; how do you approach this question? Because in my case, I would need to ask that seeing as how my early undergraduate career was dismal.

Hey guys,
I just got into PCOM Philli biomed program, but i'm in a little bit of a strange situation on trying to make a decision.

My undergrad sGPA is 2.8 and my cumulative GPA is 2.92, my mcat is 26P, and I have a decent amount of extracurriculars. I'm very interested in DO schools, but ideal would love to go to the MD school from my home town, and I'm aware that I'm far from competitive in terms of getting into it. the med center however has 2 years master's of science programs that are frequently used by students to prove their academic abilities and get into the med program. So i'm trying to figure out if i do end up going to pcom biomed, could i just take the 1 year with my current credentials and potentially get into PCOM or any other DO school? or should i just stick to my ideal goal of my hometown med school and do a masters program there?

Hey guys,
I just got into PCOM Philli biomed program, but i'm in a little bit of a strange situation on trying to make a decision.

My undergrad sGPA is 2.8 and my cumulative GPA is 2.92, my mcat is 26P, and I have a decent amount of extracurriculars. I'm very interested in DO schools, but ideal would love to go to the MD school from my home town, and I'm aware that I'm far from competitive in terms of getting into it. the med center however has 2 years master's of science programs that are frequently used by students to prove their academic abilities and get into the med program. So i'm trying to figure out if i do end up going to pcom biomed, could i just take the 1 year with my current credentials and potentially get into PCOM or any other DO school? or should i just stick to my ideal goal of my hometown med school and do a masters program there?

First off congrats on getting it, PCOM biomedical has gotten good reviews in the past, mainly from the philadelphia campus. I don't know about PCOM itself, but DO "SMP" programs in general are usually catered towards applicants who want to gain admission into that exact school or it's branch campus. If you look at stats or talk to advisors, they strongly encourage their successful students to stay and take advantage of the linkage that most of them have.

That said, I know PCOM's biomedical program has a good reputation among the DO schools mainly due to the reputation of the osteopathic school itself. I have also heard stories of students that have gotten into MD programs after doing well in the biomed program as well (certificate 1 year included), if that matters at all. But DO SMP programs as a whole I think (don't quote me on this) are not regarded by allopathic schools as highly as SMPs such as Tufts, Georgetown, BU MAMS, Loyola MAMs etc. If there is a DO program to do an SMP at, I would say PCOM and a few other top DO schools would be the place to do it, but just have some reservation is I guess what I'm trying to say.

Your GPA is quite low and your MCAT is an average matriculating score for most DO schools but well below that for MD programs. I would call the state MD school that you wish to get into and talk about your situation and ask them for advice. Mention the PCOM program and see if they have heard about it, if yes, then as them their opinion of it and how they would see it in helping your situation as opposed to your other M.S. alternatives. This is simply how I would go about doing it, but w/e you do best of luck.

thanks jslo i appreciate it, the program seems very good from everything that i've read! but, judging on my scores- would you think that if i do well enough in the first semester/year of the program (and certificate), PCOM would take me into the med program? or would I be most likely be looking completing the masters over at 2 years?

I honestly have no idea and that is a question that you would have to ask your own adviser that they assign to you at the start of the program. They check up regularly with you on your progress etc. and usually if they see you having a complete application they will let you know.

I will say this though, with your stats you need to be within the top of your class to stand out. Usually the people who take the DO SMP route have in their mind to head to osteopathic school and generally have a high GPA and a low MCAT. They use the SMP to take advantage of the linkage to get in. Do I think you have a realistic chance to get into a MD program after the 1 year of SMP? Really hard to gauge but I would be leaning towards saying no, but you never know till you apply. Do you have a chance for getting into their DO program? It's alot better than MD and I don't see a particular issue with that, but then again I'm not the Adcom.

It's more of a question you need to ask yourself whether you think you can perform better than the rest of the students in the SMP and really stand out. Plus if by doing so, you think that 1 year of the grades will override your 4 years of past shoddy undergrad work. Also things of consideration would be the rest of the package (E.C., LOR, etc) One thing though before you make your decision, check with the PCOM admissions and see if they will still write you a committee letter if you choose to only do the one year and not the two. I remember some programs refusing to give out a committee letter if you don't complete the two years.

Last thought, if you were to only do one year, you'd have to apply in June and constantly update grades. If this program is like any of the others I interviewed at, your interview date would be quite late as they usually wait for your spring grades to come out before making a decision leaving you extremely late in the cycle for an interview for a spot that they may or may not reserve for you (don't know about PCOM). Maybe they will have spots between the Phi and GA campus but I really don't know. I'd look for other alternatives and keep options open and do some research before deciding.

Does PCOM use the AACOMAS method to calculate cGPA and sGPA?

I got a 3.0 exactly cGPA using grade forgiveness and retakes from my 11 Ws and 2Fs and D and a 23L MCAT.

Also, when a previous poster said that PCOM admissions helpline will give advice and chances on acceptance; how do you approach this question? Because in my case, I would need to ask that seeing as how my early undergraduate career was dismal.

Could someone help me with my question?

What do you mean how do you approach this question. Why don't you ask it exactly the way it applies to you? Does PCOM use the same grade replacement that AACOMAS does in calculating the applicant GPA for the MBS program. If yes, then say I have a particular situation where I was wondering if it would be realistic to apply and if they will allow it, fax in your transcript and let them look it over before getting back to you. I don't know if PCOM will offer this service (other schools have), but I personally don't think that this program would be best for you. I mean yes to you it might be potentially embarrassing but frankly they're going to see your application anyway and do the grade calculations themselves off of your official transcripts. If you wanted the question of whether they think you'll get in, they'll have to probably see your transcripts, MCAT score, resume etc. Just fire it out at them, "I'm interested in applying to PCOM's MBS program but I was unsure if my application would competitive, especially at this point in the application cycle and with some troubled undergrad grades. I was wondering if you could shed some light on whether if I would have a chance at entering this fall if you have the time to hear a bit about my stats."

Most people who take the MBS programs as SMPs either have a high GPA and a low MCAT OR they have a low GPA and a high MCAT. Your MCAT is about 3-4 pts below the average of entering PCOM medical students plus the L on your writing score puts you at 6-8 percentile. Also 11 Ws and still having only a 3.0 after retakes are factored in is well.. not looking too great. If you can speak to Dr. Bevenger personally that would probably be best, she's director of admissions at PCOM, otherwise I'd be trying to apply as broadly as possible. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I found out Friday I got in for the Fall at the Georgia campus. I'm super excited. But I need money!!! In state scholarship has spoiled me. And I also visited the campus on Friday. Is a small school but that also is a good thing. Students were nice, faculty was nice and encouraging. I liked that environment there! :) YAY ME!!!

So I mailed my application material in mid-February and they still have not processed anything. Heck GA campus has not even downloaded my online application as of today. Is this normal? I'm worried because it's getting late.

So I mailed my application material in mid-February and they still have not processed anything. Heck GA campus has not even downloaded my online application as of today. Is this normal? I'm worried because it's getting late.

I don't think its normal. Best thing to do it email the coordinator of this program. Her name is trina, and you can look it up at the PCOM-GA campus wesbite.

thanks, I actually spoke to her today and she said there's a ton of applications and they will get to it eventually! At Philly campus, they had processed some of the stuff i.e application fee and essay, but now they say they only have my test scores, not to mention that my LOR which I sent via priority mail appearantly never made to the school based on tracking info..:(

thanks, I actually spoke to her today and she said there's a ton of applications and they will get to it eventually! At Philly campus, they had processed some of the stuff i.e application fee and essay, but now they say they only have my test scores, not to mention that my LOR which I sent via priority mail appearantly never made to the school based on tracking info..:(

Yea, I sent my application in december. They really like early applications. As of now, its officially rush hour traffic, for those who are applying to special masters programs-especially PCOM. Hopefully they will get to y ou soon. I got in with a 3.1 and 20O MCAT

wow congrats to all of you. i finished up my application today by sending my transcript to PA-PCOM today. i'm really hoping i'll get in even though its late in the game. how long does it generally take for pcom to process apps/get back to applicants?

Hey guys. I just finished up applying to the Philly-PCOM program. Currently I have a cum gpa of 3.4, sci 2.75, 17 MCAT and heavily involved in extra cir. Do you guys think I have a shot?

wow congrats to all of you. i finished up my application today by sending my transcript to PA-PCOM today. i'm really hoping i'll get in even though its late in the game. how long does it generally take for pcom to process apps/get back to applicants?

I think they send you an application complete letter through mail after about a week before they begin to review your application.

Hey guys. I just finished up applying to the Philly-PCOM program. Currently I have a cum gpa of 3.4, sci 2.75, 17 MCAT and heavily involved in extra cir. Do you guys think I have a shot?

Your cGPA is high for the program and your sGPA is low and your MCAT is also quite low. It's really impossible for any one on SDN to really gauge since none of us are Adcoms but I believe there have been students in the program who have been accepted with MCATs around that as well as students with sGPAs around yours, I don't know about both. Just wait for a response.

I think they send you an application complete letter through mail after about a week before they begin to review your application.

Your cGPA is high for the program and your sGPA is low and your MCAT is also quite low. It's really impossible for any one on SDN to really gauge since none of us are Adcoms but I believe there have been students in the program who have been accepted with MCATs around that as well as students with sGPAs around yours, I don't know about both. Just wait for a response.

Thank you for the response. I guess now its time to play the waiting game. :xf:

I just found out I was accepted. 3.0 gpa (several retakes) and 27 MCAT.

Just got into GA-PCOM! application was complete as of 3/22. I'm waiting to hear from PA and Touro. My stats: ~3 science and overall, MCAT 29. Good luck to those waiting.

Last edited:
I received my hold letter for PA- biomed today. For those who have mentioned their hold status here, have you heard anything new? any rejections yet?

Hey guys, for the pa pcom class at least, it turns out we'll be taking classes Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday evenings (only). Do you think that the rest of our time will be devoted to studying for these classes? Or will we have plent of extra time to do things like shadow/volunteer/work? I know everyone has different degrees of studying but in general it seems like we may have time to do other things to further enhance our standings.

Hi everyone. I got into GA-PCOM. Trena called me about 2 weeks ago orso, very excited. Now to find somewhere to live...

hey tell me if you see anything good that I might have looked over...I just got into PCOM-GA too and was looking for a place to stay

I wonder if they can provide us with housing info...How early do guys plan on goin out there to look for apartment/check out the school?

I took a tour of the school in March. Its small, but remember not a lot of students attend the Georgia campus (like 300 maybe). There are some apartments nearby that I saw. Very nice area. Who else is going to the GA campus???

i probably wont be able to head up there to check on apts until summer but the only thing I saw the school posted about housing was on the Housing tab on the PCOM GA main web page..

I went to the open house back in March and toured the school, but didn't really look around for apartments or anywhere to live. I have tried to look online at apartments and there seem to be a few around the school. I was thinking that I would live alone because I want to bring my dog (she is a chihuahua) and I figured it would just be easier that way....but it looks expensive for a 1 room apartment. I think my mom and I are going to take a trip down there end of May to see what we can find and hopefully find a place. Since school starts August 16th - I would imagine I would move beginning of August. All I have received so far from the school is my acceptance letter and the forms I needed to fill out, sign, and send with a check for them to hold my place in the class. Anyway, if anyone knows of any good places to check out please let me know.

I just made a facebook group for GA-PCOM biomeds 2010 - so if you are on facebook, you should join!

So any recent new for "on hold" Philly applicants?
One other question; anyone knows the class size for GA-PCOM?

Hey guys, I'm a fellow biomed in the 2009 class. If you guys have any questions let me know. We are taking a Neuroscience test on Thursday so I won't be avail. til Friday.

I can tell you guys the program is very challenging but it pays off at the end. Classes are graded with plus and minus (ei a 94 is usually an A-). If you are hoping to get into the DO class by doing the biomed certificate (first year only) you must have at least a 24 MCAT and a 3.0 undergrad GPA. They will not look at your application in the early cycle unless you meet these requirements.

They will begin to interview everyone else - those who do not meet these requirements by mid March. By then it is just a formality interview. Those in my class that got in to the DO 2010 class, were the ones that met the requirements. I know that at least 5 of them had previously interviewed at the school (2009 cycle).

We were rudely awaken this year by these stats. I strongly advise you that if you do not meet this requirement you must do two things while you are in the program: Get a 4.0 and/ or take the MCAT during the school cycle. I have friends (myself included) that interview and were placed on hold until this friday. Some of us will know by then whether we are in or not. I know for a fact that my classmates with 27-29 MCATs were put on hold until Friday (these people including myself are also getting a >3.5 gpa in the program but have a low undergrad gpa). So please do not think that if you have >24 MCAT you are automatically in. Not so. They have a void to fill in for the second year class and this void obviously has to come from the first year students pool.

The reason we were giving this excuse of requirements is due to the poor academic standing of some DO students from the 2008 class. I'm not aware of which students were biomeds but last year 7 DO students failed the anatomy course. Do not know their reasons, I was just told this stat by our anatomy professor - the professor that teaches the DO Anatomy class will teach the anatomy biomed class, so I consider him a reliable source.

Enough of my rant. Have to go study. For those that got accepted, congratulations and let me assure you the program has tremendous benefits. I just don't have the time to list them all.

Applied to the Pa- PCOM program and I just got a letter saying my application was put on hold after careful review of my application.

Stats ~3.0 gpa, ~2.9 sgpa, 29Q MCAT

So say after the hold, I dont get accepted into this program, that basically will mean I have a 0% chance of getting into DO schools? I was planning on applying this summer but this would be a big blow.

Hey everyone,
I have recently been accepted to both Barry's MBS and Philly PCOM MBS programs. Just wondering what you guys opinions are in comparing the two. I had my heart set on miami but seems that pcom is more reputable?

PCOM is a far more reputable program across the nation compared to Barry MBS. Even if you got into Barry's 1 year MBS (which is their most competitive one), the three options you really have ahead of you for medical school in the US are NSU, PCOM-GA and LECOM-B. Those also "just so happen" to be in the region and know of Barry's program. PCOM is nationally recognized as a top 3-5 osteopathic school and their MBS program has been around for a while.

hello everyone
i just got accepted into the biomed program at GA campus. really excited and looking forward to it. i was wondering if anyone know which campus is better the PA or GA? i live in tx so both are far from me, but i was thinking the PA campus is there better option b/c the actual D.O school is there and you have access to the admission office and everything.

Based off the opinions of past MBS students, the PA campus for the MBS program has always been the better of the two. The only thing I'll disagree with on your post is that both schools are full fledged osteopathic schools with accreditation and there are students who prefer going to GA for the medical school due to its suburban and location but for academic reasons, the PA campus is why PCOM has been so successful and reputable.

got an email from trina this morning to follow-up on my application and it turns out she's mailing out my acceptance letter today!

side note: i'm waitlisted for philly, things are lookin up! if anything, looks like i'll be seeing some of you in aug :D

hah! accepted in Georgia :) now, for business.

I am a first year Biomed student and was looking for some room mates for a 3 bedroom / 2 bathroom apartment at 5375 Sugarloaf Parkway Apartment Homes.

Apparently, rent specials are fluctuating a lot around this time, but Rent will be around $390+util. Since we are GA-PCOM students, the application fee, security deposit and administration fee are all cut in half making the appication process cost us $80 a person only.

I also hear that there are many student from GA-PCOM who stay at these apartments and i have heard nothing but good things. The complex is less than 10 mins from campus (4 miles) and very close to the Discover Mills Mall.

Here is a list of a few of the amenities:

Apartment Features:
Gourmet Kitchens with Cherry Cabinetry
Designer Countertops and Black Appliances
Open Gourmet Kitchens with Island
Ceramic Tile Kitchen Floors
Under-cabinet Lighting and Tile Backsplash
Spacious Pantries
Chrome Hardware Throughout
Ceramic Tile Entryways
Fireplaces with Custom Mantles and Luxurious Hearths
Arched Cased Openings
Computer Desks

Community Amenities:
Lavish Clubhouse with High Speed Internet Access
State-of-the-art Fitness Center
Saltwater Swimming Pool with Leisure Deck
Tennis Courts
Children’s Play Area
Bark Park
Car Care Center
House Keeping
Valet Trash
Valet Dry Cleaning
Continental Breakfast
Clothes Care Center

If you decide that this is something you are interested in, contact me at [email protected], or here on SDN, although the best way to get in contact would be through email. You would need to put my name down on the application and im sure there is a way we could make some money through their referral program :)

Here is the apartments website: www.5375SugarloafApartments.com

And congratulation and good luck to everyone!

Abhishek Achar

what's the difference between on hold and waitlisted?

I visited the school last week, and Swanee is so Beautiful!! It definitly exceeded my expectations and I got a taste of southern hospitality :) I think I'm either getting a place at Sugarloaf or Overlook at Gwinnett Stadium, but I'm still contemplating whether I should get roommate or not.

Hey guys! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I'll be attending GA-PCOM this Fall. Anyone going to the Meet and Greet June 4th?

i am wondering the same...i am a pre-dental student and am not sure if committing to this program is the best option for me for increasing my chances of acceptance for the next cycle

I received my acceptance letter last thursday for PCOM-Philly

Hey RuudVan,

I just receive my acceptance letter from pcom -philly biomedical program after being place on hold. How is your living situation search going in philadelphia?

Hey RuudVan,

I just receive my acceptance letter from pcom -philly biomedical program after being place on hold. How is your living situation search going in philadelphia?

Hey MrCosby, how long have you been on hold? I've been placed on the waiting list since May 19th for PCOM-Philly. I guess I was wrong in thinking that being placed on the waiting list was a better response than being placed on hold...?

At any rate, major congrats to you! Getting an acceptance for me would be a dream come true considering Philly's reputation, what it means for my wife's career (being in Philly), and the fact that we envision settling there...here's hoping I get good news from there soon!

I just got in today..I am so excited. I am still waiting on the official letter in the mail. I do not even know where to begin lol..