GA-PCOM Students! How's it going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just curious if any of you pioneers have any thoughts or feedback about the school thus far? Curriculum, location, faculty, administration, anything?

GA-PCOM is my first choice, so I hope to be joining you all soon... :)

Members don't see this ad.

bodymechanic said:
Hi all,
Just curious if any of you pioneers have any thoughts or feedback about the school thus far? Curriculum, location, faculty, administration, anything?

hey mechanic..i was juss wondering why you made this your first choice..is it just location??? anyways, i held off completing their secondary after i got 2 interviews...best of luck in your endeavors

mikeypo0 said:
hey mechanic..i was juss wondering why you made this your first choice..is it just location??? anyways, i held off completing their secondary after i got 2 interviews...best of luck in your endeavors

My family is down south, and moving closer to them is definitely a big factor. Also, after twelve years in the Pacific Northwest I'm ready to dry out a little :D

But aside from geography, I am attracted to the fact that while GA-PCOM is the newest DO school, it's being run by one of the oldest - PCOM Philly. Although I'm sure there will be bumps, and board scores and rotations are a question mark, I'm very hopeful that PCOM has enough experience to pull it off right.

From what I hear, the classes are a bit smaller than some, too, ~80 folks?

Members don't see this ad :)
Going well so far. We have our last set of exams tomorrow for the first term (I should be studying). Faciliites are top notch. Anatomy lab has 3 plasma screens and 2 giant projection screens. OMM lab the same. We have satellite capabilities with PCOM Philly. Have to get back to studying. PM me if you want to know more after tomorrow is over! Good luck with interviews hopefully I'll see you.

BMW-

bodymechanic said:
My family is down south, and moving closer to them is definitely a big factor. Also, after twelve years in the Pacific Northwest I'm ready to dry out a little :D

But aside from geography, I am attracted to the fact that while GA-PCOM is the newest DO school, it's being run by one of the oldest - PCOM Philly. Although I'm sure there will be bumps, and board scores and rotations are a question mark, I'm very hopeful that PCOM has enough experience to pull it off right.

From what I hear, the classes are a bit smaller than some, too, ~80 folks?

The weekend after finishing the first term. We participated in our white coat ceremony on Sunday and today we had the grand opening for the school. Things at the school are going great. I won't repeat what BMW said.. I saw you had some worries about rotations. The Osteopathic Institute of the South has been working to set up our rotations in locations around the SE United States. And there are few locations for core hospitals set up already and they are courting a couple others including the Gwinnett County Hospitals which would be nice with them being close by. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. BMW is a great source too...though I don't really like him much... I kid he is a great guy

Rob

Hey all, first year GA-PCOMer here.

The school has turned out great, and like Rob said, we had our Ribbon Cutting and White Coat ceremonies yesterday. GOMA and OIS are doing a lot to help us out, especially in preparing for rotations, with sites around GA and adjoining states. I'm very confident that our administration under Dr. Evans will have all the details worked out soon - he's been working on our clinical years program since before the school opened.

We just finished our first term, and the vast majority of the class did pretty darn good. We have our fair share of the "12 types of med students" (google it).

In addition to what BMW19 (he drives an Acura, HA!) said, our Anatomy and OMM labs are very big, and with only about 85 students, there's plenty of space for everyone, not to mention that we have only 5-6 students per cadaver.

Also, we now know that the c/o 2009 knows how to party! we expect c/o 2010 to continue the "tradition".

over and out!

bodymechanic said:
Hi all,

GA-PCOM was my first choice when I applied last year, and if I had to go back and do it all over again knowing what I know now, it would still be number one. It's an awesome school. We are in an amazing spot for everything. Like samdwi said, we like to party...so we hope this incoming class will be able to keep up with us. Best of luck, and let us know how it all turns out!

Thanks for blowing my cover Sam! Its my intitials ok. Ditto to everything my classmates have elaborated on. Don't listen to Reign, he's just the president what does he know!

BMW-

Drugtech said:
GA-PCOM was my first choice when I applied last year, and if I had to go back and do it all over again knowing what I know now, it would still be number one. It's an awesome school. We are in an amazing spot for everything. Like samdwi said, we like to party...so we hope this incoming class will be able to keep up with us. Best of luck, and let us know how it all turns out!

It's so good to hear that the students are happy with GA-PCOM. I am trying to choose between the GA campus and PCOM in philly right now. In your honest opinions, what are the advantages of one over the other? I know that the philly campus has a great reputation for board rates and for residencies and the rotations are in big hospitals for the most part. Also, the students seem to get a lot of interaction with DOs and MDs in the area. I loved Pcom-GA's campus a lot though, and it's 10minutes from my house! I am having a hard time choosing b/c PCOM philly is great too
sihg...can someone decide for me?
jk
not really

Gee, thanks for talking it up and confirming that it is an awesome school, now my waiting is even more torture! :D My app is complete, so I'll guess I'll just just try to be patient. Glad to hear that rotations are looking good. I love anatomy and cadaver lab, so the student ratio sounds great. I am just hoping GA-PCOM calls first...

Are most folks from Georgia or thereabouts or from all over?

My question was regarding the diversity at GA-PCOM. IS it mainly white or are a large group of indian, hispanic, black etc...

bracehead said:
My question was regarding the diversity at GA-PCOM. IS it mainly white or are a large group of indian, hispanic, black etc...

to that question the majority is white with about 25 percent being of the south asian (Indians) there is a good group of east asians...I count myself there because I am half korean... there are a few hispanics and there are a 5 blacks... The class for next year Aisha is working hard to bring more diversity. I hope this helps

bracehead said:

We're pretty diverse, even by Georgia standards. out of 84 students, 10 are Asian Indian, several "BringintheReign" types (far east), African Americans, Hispanics, Persian and many mixes and others.

GA-PCOM is anything but a KKK conference - rest assured. The interviewees in the last few weeks have been fairly diverse as well, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Also, Gwinnet County itself is very diverse, with large Korean, Mexican and Indian populations (and others I'm sure).

As such, race/ethnicity etc has been a very positive influence. Several members of our class went to recent Indian celebrations, and several went to a recent Greek Festival, and of course I'm sure we'll all do something together before we break for Christmas/New Years.

samdwi said:
I'm sure we'll all do something together before we break for Christmas/New Years.

Of course we're doing something before we break for Christmas...The Winter Semi-Formal, remember. Two words for you OPEN BAR!

DT,

Two words for you GUYTON PHYSIOLOGY! Stop daydreaming about our formal and start cracking the 30 pound book!

BMW-

Drugtech said:
Of course we're doing something before we break for Christmas...The Winter Semi-Formal, remember. Two words for you OPEN BAR!

BMW19 said:
DT,
cracking the 30 pound book!

BMW-

I think you mean cracking the bottle! My watch is always on party time--as I recall from last Friday night BMW, so is yours :smuggrin: .

I'm ready to learn the physiology of ETOH
and how it effects Liver function

BMW-

Drugtech said:
I think you mean cracking the bottle! My watch is always on party time--as I recall from last Friday night BMW, so is yours :smuggrin: .