GA school applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDpride

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hii

GA resident

I've applied to GA schools-- MCG and Mercer.

Emory out because of MCAT score.

MCAT 30 O
BCPM: 3.91

tell us about ur self.

Discussion area for GA applicants

Members don't see this ad.

your stats are amazing.

Hey I am at KSU for undergrad and will apply next cycle

Stats:
3.7 GPA
3.48 BCPM
MCAT will be in May

Lots of volunteer work, numerous abroad experiences, working on more shadowing... and doing a non-science research project

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard back from MCG or Mercer yet? MCG lost my LOR and then found it when I called them. So I'm set back some for that. Maybe October will be the month ...

MCG and Mercer are waiting for my PREMED COM. letter which was hopefully going to be mailed last week.

need to get done certificate of residency for Mercer.

your stats are amazing.

Not that amazing. I have only one shadowing exp. looking for other one.

Those are Post-bac GPA after 76 hrs of classes at US college.
Bachelors won't appear on AMCAS because its from Indian college.

by the way,
What about ur stats?

Have u taken MCAT yet?

R u GA resident?

i'm applying to mcg and emory, and 20+ OOS schools. i'm not too interested in staying in georgia anymore.

Things seemed to move along pretty smoothly with Mercer for me. I reapplied ED after getting rejected last cycle, interviewed August 21st, got an answer September 5th. That residency form is annoying, MDPride, I feel your pain on that one..

I also applied early decision to Mercer. (My fiance is a 3rd year student at Mercer.) I interviewed on Sept. 13. I got my acceptance on Thursday!

Reactions: 1 user
Wait..are you not applying to Emory b/c of your MCAT score? I say you still should apply. It doesn't seem like a reach given your GPA. And the secondary just came out so you wouldn't be behind at all.

I'm also applying to MCG and Emory.

Georgia Tech grad Spring 2005:
BS Computer Engineering

GPA: 3.17
BCPM: 3.43

MCAT: 11-11-11 = 33N

I'm hoping my low gpa doesn't screw me over.

Applying to all the GA schools, fingers crossed. :luck:

Just got an interview at Emory (OOS)...

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow congrats georgiagirl! I guess technically you are the first classmate I've "met" haha.

Wait..are you not applying to Emory b/c of your MCAT score? I say you still should apply. It doesn't seem like a reach given your GPA. And the secondary just came out so you wouldn't be behind at all.

I'm also applying to MCG and Emory.

I have only one shadowing exp. with neurologist.

Currently looking for another exp.

Georgia Tech grad Spring 2005:
BS Computer Engineering

GPA: 3.17
BCPM: 3.43

MCAT: 11-11-11 = 33N

I'm hoping my low gpa doesn't screw me over.

Applying to all the GA schools, fingers crossed. :luck:

well proportioned distribution.

I wish to have that.

I have only one shadowing exp. with neurologist.

Currently looking for another exp.

Apply anyways. You don't want to regret it. I would say your stats are good enough to get in. The secondary is very short too; you could finish it in one sitting.

Apply anyways. You don't want to regret it. I would say your stats are good enough to get in. The secondary is very short too; you could finish it in one sitting.

yeh i did applied yesterday

Only waiting for PREMED COM to finish the job I gave one month back.

Applied to MCG, Emory, and withdrew from Mercer. Interview MCG October!

October 23rd. Good luck! I heard that It was really laid back and easy going.

Damn man, still nothing from MCG and Mercer and I've been complete for awhile now.

8PS
10VR
10BS
3.89 GPA

I even attended a summer premed program at MCG and got to know some of the admissions committee people.

I haven't heard anything from them...

I wonder if my MCAT (28) is what is holding me up?

I highly doubt the 28 MCAT is holding you back. Your GPA is awesome, and 28 is only 1 point below MCG's average. I sent MCG an email just stating curiosity in my app status, and the next day I had an invite. Try sending one, maybe they just want to hear that you are interested. Hope that helps!

Last I heard, MCG's average MCAT is a 31, not a 29...

I'll be a re-applicant this year...

UGA Undergrad in Cell Bio (3.3)
MS in Cell and Molecular (3.9) w/ a thesis on cancer immunology and publications

Had to retake the MCAT b/c it expired so I went from a 30Q to a 31Q. Took it this August.

Applying to all 3 Georgia schools and AMCAS is waiting for my transcripts.

Damn man, still nothing from MCG and Mercer and I've been complete for awhile now.

8PS
10VR
10BS
3.89 GPA

I even attended a summer premed program at MCG and got to know some of the admissions committee people.

I haven't heard anything from them...

I wonder if my MCAT (28) is what is holding me up?

Same here. I just got one email a long time ago confirming the receipt of my primary and telling me to have a lot of patience that it was a long process.

Question is how much patience do I exercise before I email or call them?

Question is how much patience do I exercise before I email or call them?

A lot of patience. You could get called up in March for an interview. So, just take it for what it is and if they want you to interview your phone will ring. Last year, I got both calls on the same day (MCG and Mercer) and interviewed in October and November, respectively. I got waitlist letters from both and got denied :(. So early good? Who knows.

Second year applicant. Mercer Early Decision.

30 MCAT
3.35 GPA

Interviewed Sept 6. Accepted Sept 26.:D

You going to go to Savannah or Macon?

Congrats sashie! I guess I can make that two future classmates on here haha

MCG EDP applicants have received their letters today. Anyone have news to report?

Hey guys, I'm a third year applicant. Decided to apply Early Decision to Mercer this year. Interviewed Sept. 20 . Accepted Sept. 26. Very excited and looking forward to meeting some of my new classmates!

Congratulations Surgical!

Just got a call from Mercer today to set up an interview on November 6. It looks like they are starting up their season now for the regular pool. I still haven't heard anything from the Medical College of Georgia yet. May have to give them another call.

Just got a call from Mercer today to set up an interview on November 6. It looks like they are starting up their season now for the regular pool. I still haven't heard anything from the Medical College of Georgia yet. May have to give them another call.

File at MCG waiting for premedcom letter; may be they are lagging in updating work.BUt trhey told me that won'y hinder review process.

My file at Mercer was declared "complete" few days back.
When was your file declared "complete" at Mercer and MCG?

Please PM me your interview exp. at Mercer.
Also, inetrested in knowing ur stats.
BEST LUCK.

Ah what fond memories I have of posting on this forum as a premed. Now its hard to even remember what it was like. For those of you who are accepted, my advice is to enjoy it now. REVEL in it, because this will be the most satisfaction you will have. Medical School is awesome, BUT it is so much work that you quickly forget everything you went through to get there.

I'm a first year at Mercer and I want to congratulate those who will be my classmates next fall and encourage those who have applied or are considering it. Mercer is a great school. If you need proof, just go the the allopathic forum, search for "mercer" and you'll find in one post the match list from this past year. It is unbelieveable.

Anyway, it's a great environment for learning. The professors are great and the students are friendly and helpful. We had our first exam about two weeks ago. The second years baked goodies for us to eat during the test (since the test is four hours long).

One piece of advice for what its worth...as a premed it is easy to let your stats define you. Resist that temptation. When you start medical school there's the tendency to think to yourself: "how did HE make a higher grade than me....I had a much higher MCAT score". My point is, once you're here it doesn't matter. The distribution of grades on our first exam is proof. The class average was a 74 (65 is passing). There were people who had MCATs in the 30s making 70s. There was at least one with a 21 MCAT who did very well. My point, is that your MCAT is a means to an end. Once you are here, you're all on a level playing field, and the amount of work you put in corresponds to how well you do.

Good luck, and pm me with any questions. Especially if you're considering Mercer or want specific answers for what its really like. I can tell you all about problem based learning (especially important if you're fixing to interview here). I get to school at 6:00am, so if any of you are interviewing and want to meet up to go over questions, drink some coffee, or just chat, let me know.

I've been complete at Mercer for a long time now...maybe a month and a half or so...

Nothing from them...

Greeting to all Mercer folks! Applied ED this year and was accepted on September 3! Can't wait to start next fall.

File at MCG waiting for premedcom letter; may be they are lagging in updating work.BUt trhey told me that won'y hinder review process.

My file at Mercer was declared "complete" few days back.
When was your file declared "complete" at Mercer and MCG?

Please PM me your interview exp. at Mercer.
Also, inetrested in knowing ur stats.
BEST LUCK.

My file was complete at Mercer on 7/27. I was complete at MCG on 9/21 after they found my LOR that they misplaced. I will definetly post my interview experience at Mercer when I'm done. My stats? Let's just say they are a touch lower than yours :) Good luck.

Good luck, and pm me with any questions. Especially if you're considering Mercer or want specific answers for what its really like. I can tell you all about problem based learning (especially important if you're fixing to interview here). I get to school at 6:00am, so if any of you are interviewing and want to meet up to go over questions, drink some coffee, or just chat, let me know.

Thanks for dropping by. Do students have difficulty with the entire curriculum being problem based? I would love something different from lecture, but I'm hesitant about learning everything on my own. How do you know what info is important and what to skip over?

The truth is, it is totally different from lecture and when you interview, the professors expect that you haven't had experience with PBL. But they do think you should know what you're getting yourself into.

Consider this: Medical school, regardless of where you go is a LOT of work. Whether your school is problem based or lecture based will not change that. I think the opposite extreme of a school like Mercer is a school like Morehouse. I use these as examples simply because I interviewed at both. When I interviewed at Morehouse, their students complained relentlessly that the amount of time they spent in lecture everyday (I think its like 9 to 3 or 4) made it nearly impossible to find time to study. Even from your upperlevel undergrad. science classes you've probably realized that what you get from lecture is just a fraction of what you need to get from the book.

That's where a school like Mercer fits in. But, don't get the idea that its unorganized. To the contrary, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better organized curriculum.

If you don't already know, the entire first two years of basic sciences at Mercer is divided into 6 week "phases". Each phases represents material from all the basic sciences. For example, our first phase was called "Cellular Basis of Medicine". We had reading from biochemistry, cell biology, histology, pathology, physiology, pharmacology, and genetics. The beauty of this system, is that by the time Step I roles around, our last phase will still include relevant biochemistry topics. At most medical schools, you get biochem out of the way first semester and never touch it again until board prep. time.

At the beginning of each phase, you receive your "Study Guide" for that phase. It is broken down by discipline into objectives written by the faculty for that discipline. For each objective their is assigned reading. The plus side is, faculty cannot ask test questions that are from outside of the reading they assign. Of course, the downside is there is too much reading for anyone to ever memorize all the material. But, it is very organized.

As far as structured class time, there is very little. You meet in "Group" (lecture is a bad word) from 9 to 12 on Monday, Wed., and Fridays. Your goup is about 7 other students and one faculty "tutor" who's function is to facilitate discussion. They rarely teach.

For more difficult concepts or concepts that require faculty involvement (histology, anatomy, some micro.) they have "resources" that are optional (but pretty much mandatory if you want to do well).

I know that's more than you asked for, but maybe it'll help someone who's interviewing soon.

Thanks GADoc! That was exactly what I was looking for. I just had the sense that PBL was a free-for-all, but now I see that it's very organized. It really puts me at ease now with this learning pathway. I have an interview in Nov so all the information is very helpful in preparing me.

I am interested in applying to Mercer this upcoming year but I thought I would chime in a question anyways. For EDP do you need to have stats that are above average? I would be applying with a subpar GPA but with 3 stellar semesters of 4.0 coming up to application (cumulative about 3.45) with a science GPA around 3.7. Can't predict MCAT yet bc havent taken it. Anyways, I like the rural family practice focus of Mercer or atleast what I have seen from their website. Any students know anything about what clinicals are like? Are they really rural medicine? Is there an open house? Thanks.

I am interested in applying to Mercer this upcoming year but I thought I would chime in a question anyways. For EDP do you need to have stats that are above average? I would be applying with a subpar GPA but with 3 stellar semesters of 4.0 coming up to application (cumulative about 3.45) with a science GPA around 3.7. Can't predict MCAT yet bc havent taken it. Anyways, I like the rural family practice focus of Mercer or atleast what I have seen from their website. Any students know anything about what clinicals are like? Are they really rural medicine? Is there an open house? Thanks.

Actually, your BEST bet at Mercer is to apply EDP. They generally take between 1/3 to 1/2 of their class from the EDP pool. Now, that's something the admission office will not tell you, but if you hang around long enough you'll find out. I got in with a 3.56 and 27P MCAT. There are people in my class a lot lower than that. Plus, if you don't get in through EDP, they automatically put your name in the regular applicant pool. That also frees you up to apply to other schools.

Mercer's focus has shifted. They are still dedicated to primary care, but what they are most concerned with is recruiting students who will ultimately practice in Georgia. Now don't be confused; they expect and ENCOURAGE students to do residencies outside Georgia. Just this past year, they had someone match at Harvard. But, they ultimately hope you'll come back to Georgia to practice.

Mercer is definately more about primary care than the other schools in GA, except, perhaps Morehouse. However, the understanding is that Morehouse focuses on the urban underserved and Mercer focuses on the rural underserved.

Finally, let me see if I understand your question about "clinicals". Do you mean the third year clerkships? If so, they are pretty standard at all medical schools. They are not "rural" per se. They are all based at either the Medical Center of Central Georgia in Macon, or at Memorial Health Center in Savannah. Usually 1/3 of the class goes to Savannah (however, with the new med school opening up there, that may be changing in the next few years). You can look on line to get a list of the actual clerkships because they're pretty standard from school to school.

Now, Mercer does have a program which you will do your first two years that will expose you to all the rural medicine you could want. It is called Community Medicine. During your first year you'll be assigned a preceptor doctor located somewhere in rural Georgia. All the students enter a lottery to see who they get. There are a few general surgeons, but most are family practice. But, during your first year you'll spend two weeks in their office playing doctor. You'll do it again after your second year and again after your third year.

And, if you get a kick out of dressing up in your white coat, draping your Littman Cardio III around your neck, and making all the undergrads. feel jealous than Mercer truly may be the place for you. That's because of their very unique Clinical Skills program which you will participate in about two times per Phase. In this program, they will actually teach you over the course of two years to do a complete physical. You learn on standardized patients who are basically trained actors. It's a lot of fun and a great break from the books.

If you have any more questions let me know.

Good stuff GAdoc...

You're a big help dude...

Let me ask you a question: So, Mercer is going to accept a full class + 30 more for Savannah?

Who will those 30 people be?

Do they get to choose Savannah over Macon?

I live in Savannah is why I ask...

Looks like MCG is starting to do interviews, so hang in there. I'm waiting too ... :scared:

Good stuff GAdoc...

You're a big help dude...

Let me ask you a question: So, Mercer is going to accept a full class + 30 more for Savannah?

Who will those 30 people be?

Do they get to choose Savannah over Macon?

I live in Savannah is why I ask...

I think it will be recognized as a seperate medical school when you are applying. I am assuming that it has a similar mission to Mercer.

what's the interview size for Mercer, MCG and Emory?

how many candidates they interview on a single interview day?

what's the interview size for Mercer, MCG and Emory?

how many candidates they interview on a single interview day?

I have some figures from the 2005-2006 MSAR book that shouldn't be too outdated yet. But feel free to correct me.

MERCER:
Instate - 550 applicants
Instate - 230 interviews
Class Size - 60

MCG:
Instate - 825 applicants
Instate - 450 interviews
Class Size - 180

EMORY:
Instate - 500 applicants
Out of state - 4,665 applicants

Instate - 125 interviews
Out of state - 607 interviews

Class Size - 113

Sorry, I don't know how many candidates are interviewed on a given day.