GA school applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are your stats? have not heard from mcg yet..

Members don't see this ad.

28O
Very unique EC's...

I've got my Emory interview tomorrow, and its my first one! MCG at the beginning of December.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, how'd the emory interview go? I have mine friday...super excited, but a little nervous about the whole group interview thing.

For everyone applying to Mercer, I posted my interview feedback about my interview on November 6. I'm trying to remember all the specific questions they asked so I can just list them on this thread. Feel free to ask any questions here or PM me. Overall, I really liked the school and its PBL program, which is much more organized than others I've seen.

speaking of mercer, anyone happen to hear anything regarding their apps recently? I know they do most of their interviews after new years, but I have been complete so looooong....

Hey guys, I was trolling the site and noticed this thread. I am a fourth year at Mercer and I might be able to answer some questions. I know this process is painful, maybe I can lend some advice.

For instance the cutoff for admission has been increased to 24, this is different than in years past. Also, if you have questions, or feel like your file has sat in limbo for too long, give Ms Putnam a quick call. I would advise keeping questions simple or just asking the status of your application. She is very open, honest, and nice as long as you are too.

Private message me with questions as I am busy trolling the residency section hoping to get my own acceptance!

Take care

LOL

PMED, not that it matters, but you're kind of using the word "trolling" wrong...

Trolling means to post something in order to get an inflammatory response from someone.

For instance, if I wanted to troll the pre-osteo forums, I'd start a thread and name it: "MDs are the only real doctors, and DOs are only athletic trainers."

Obviously, I'm trying to provoke everyone, so that would be called "trolling."

I got an acceptance to PCOM-Ga yesterday. So, now I know that no matter what happens, I'm going to be a doctor.

Which is good because it takes some of the stress off of me at the moment.

I have an interview at Mercer on December 13, BUT I STILL HAVEN'T HEARD A PEEP FROM MCG.

No interview yet.

going CRAZY.

any one who got completed in october had interview yet????

No interview yet.

going CRAZY.

any one who got completed in october had interview yet????

I'm so pissed at MCG right now.

I haven't heard ANYTHING from them.

I've always heard they take a long time, but good God man...

This thread is dead.
looks like not much activity in GA MEDschools.

yeah what's the deal? And why in the world can I not get an invite from Mercer??? :(

seems to me GA is the slowest state ever with getting back to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
waiting for next week

Anyone else interview w/ MCG in Oct. and not get anything yet? I saw a few people got acceptances, but doesn't seem like too many got them. Sigh..I really wish I had at least one acceptance. :(

Anyone else interview w/ MCG in Oct. and not get anything yet? I saw a few people got acceptances, but doesn't seem like too many got them. Sigh..I really wish I had at least one acceptance. :(

I know a lot of edp got in! Though I'm not as sure about us regular peeps. I'm not going for a week or so. Your stats are great jacks, I'm sure you'll get in somewhere keep the faith!. :luck:

GA schools going toooooooooo slow OR people who are getting interviews for GA schools not posting on the SDN.

One of the guy in my college who made > 37 on MCAT and submitted AMCAS and secondary after mid-sept got interview.

Not me who submitted primary and secondary in august. we gave mcat on same day but don't have same scores.

Am I on untold HOLD in that school? or rejected?

My app's been complete at Mercer and MCG for a few weeks now...still waiting as well.

Things are kind of quiet around here...:sleep:

Hey all, just got invited to Mercer today!:D So I'm pretty excited, anyone have any helpful info on the school? I also heard a rumor that they make you sign some kind of form promising to go into a certain specialty in your first year or something, is that really true?

MCG hasn't gotten back to me despite my being complete since August. Mercer rejected me outright b/c some of my sciences were from too long ago. I have withdrawn my application from Emory b/c my MCAT is too low I think (29P). I am on a pre-interview hold at Morehouse. I've had one interview thus far, and that was with an out-of-state private school. I took the MCAT in '05 so my score is nearing obsolescence; it sure would be nice to get an acceptance so I would know that I won't have to take it again. I dread the thought.

lack of ECs other than shadowing is really killing my application.

Hey all, just got invited to Mercer today!:D So I'm pretty excited, anyone have any helpful info on the school? I also heard a rumor that they make you sign some kind of form promising to go into a certain specialty in your first year or something, is that really true?

When were u complete at mercer?

I was complete at mercer oct 4th and when called got reply that my file is pending review.

can't believe it?

When were u complete at mercer?

I was complete at mercer oct 4th and when called got reply that my file is pending review.

can't believe it?

Around mid to late september I got that email saying everything was in. From what I hear Mercer and mcg interview well into march so there is still plenty of time. Your stats look good, I was just complete earlier, and everyone in GA seems to work at a snails pace so I'm sure they'll get around to you! :luck:

How are you checking your status at Morehouse and Mercer?

I just got my interview invite today too! I was taking a final exam when Mary left the message, so I will schedule it tomorrow.

For all of you who've interview or have been accepted, how far in advanced did you schedule your interview? I'm thinking with final exams still going on for me and with the holidays so close, I'd like to schedule it as soon as possible after Christmas so I can be well prepared. Is this alright?

I just got my interview invite today too! I was taking a final exam when Mary left the message, so I will schedule it tomorrow.

For all of you who've interview or have been accepted, how far in advanced did you schedule your interview? I'm thinking with final exams still going on for me and with the holidays so close, I'd like to schedule it as soon as possible after Christmas so I can be well prepared. Is this alright?

Preparing doesn't take that much work, just go over the biggies...why you want to be a doctor, etc. Try to be familiar with some big healthcare, bioethical topics if possible. Most interviews are just you talking with the person and over preparing won't help you and just make you sound too reheresed. As for Mercer she had told me her earliest date was Jan 31, which is when I'm doing mine.

Preparing doesn't take that much work, just go over the biggies...why you want to be a doctor, etc. Try to be familiar with some big healthcare, bioethical topics if possible. Most interviews are just you talking with the person and over preparing won't help you and just make you sound too reheresed. As for Mercer she had told me her earliest date was Jan 31, which is when I'm doing mine.

Thanks for the info. I didn't mean to prepare as in rehearsing everything...rather, I'd like to at least outline some possible questions and answers, no memorizing or anything like that.

if you haven't gotten an interview invite from mercer it certainly doesn't mean you won't, but unfortunately I think the first and second rounds of interview invites are over. Based on a recent post I know that Ms Putnam scheduled all of the interviews from December up to Feb. in just a few days. If you haven't heard anything I would expect to hear something mid Jan at the earliest. But mercer goes through march/apr with the interviews for wl (and of course mercer has LOTS of movement), so don't give up. I just interviewed on the sixth, and all I have to say is- if you get an interview, and are a real person, you will do fine. And if after reading that last sentence you ask yourself: "AM I a real person?" You may be in trouble.
Relax!

if you haven't gotten an interview invite from mercer it certainly doesn't mean you won't, but unfortunately I think the first and second rounds of interview invites are over. Based on a recent post I know that Ms Putnam scheduled all of the interviews from December up to Feb. in just a few days. If you haven't heard anything I would expect to hear something mid Jan at the earliest. But mercer goes through march/apr with the interviews for wl (and of course mercer has LOTS of movement), so don't give up. I just interviewed on the sixth, and all I have to say is- if you get an interview, and are a real person, you will do fine. And if after reading that last sentence you ask yourself: "AM I a real person?" You may be in trouble.
Relax!

Define "real person" for me, lol, kidding. But what were your impressions of the interview?

also dd, if you need a confidence booster, Mercer weighs MCAT VR about 5 times as much as they do BS or PS, because of the problem based learning.

But the big question- when is your interview? They interviewed the big wigs in early november, and I am sure if you have a marginally competitive late Febuary or March interview, they will probably (grill) you.

Well, mine has been scheduled for Feb 14th. I guess I'm just ahead of the cookout? :D

i would be interested to see your stats. I had low gpa high mcat but, as you probably know, people with great stats dont typically apply to mercer. bad for them, because mercer is a great opportunity to see a PBL school just for us GA residents. you will know if it is right for you when you interview. But when did you apply? That may be the reason for your late interview. If you have a decent VR score, decent GPA, decent interview, you are probably in. And by decent I mean not MUCH less than the school average. It does not take a lot to get in Mercer, but even for stellar applicants it is easy to get Xed in Macon. Lots of great applicants don't get in because they take Mercer as a granted acceptance. If you know about the school and fit in with the students and the mission, they will love you. As far as PBL, medicine is made for it. Even more trad. schools like MCG are making BIG changes toward a PBL curriculum. That said, MCG is cheap, and they have better/more teachers/faculty. But a lot can be said for a school like Mercer that takes poor MCATers and gives them the skills to do better in Step 1 AND Step 2 than MCG.
This may sound like a plug for Mercer, but just keep them on an even playing field. Try and decide if you are a student that likes PBL or if you like part lecture and part discussion. the MCG format is more like college, and you need to be sure if you like the Mercer curriculum because alot of students hate it and only accept Mercer because they can't get in anywhere else.

I'm kind of opposite than you bodonid on the stats...high gpa and low mcat. I kind of like the pbl's from what I've seen at the schools I've already interviewed at. Some focus on them a lot and others don't, I think they'd be a more interesting way to learn, but was a bit worried of how they'll affect board scores. Anyway, thanks for the tips I'll have to take a look at the mission statement before heading up there ;)

Oh really, are any of your TX schools PBLs? Are they the same as Mercer? (ie- no lectures, no grades, etc.?) I am really a novice to the idea and I would like to know of any other school that offers a similar curriculum. I know it is too late to add another school :( but up until I was preparing for my interview I thought Case Western was the only one. Now I know its just the most famous (Or was it the first?)

And if anyone who has interviewed can share their impressions about MCG, I would be forever grateful!:cool: I go up on the 12th.

Oh really, are any of your TX schools PBLs? Are they the same as Mercer? (ie- no lectures, no grades, etc.?)

I don't think TX schools are PBL- they have some small group sessions but not like Mercer- I am applying to almost all TX schools as that is my homestate and I would love to end up at Tech where I could serve the town i was raised in.

Oh really, are any of your TX schools PBLs? Are they the same as Mercer? (ie- no lectures, no grades, etc.?) I am really a novice to the idea and I would like to know of any other school that offers a similar curriculum. I know it is too late to add another school :( but up until I was preparing for my interview I thought Case Western was the only one. Now I know its just the most famous (Or was it the first?)

And if anyone who has interviewed can share their impressions about MCG, I would be forever grateful!:cool: I go up on the 12th.

Yeah futuredrcrawfor is right, none of them are as hardcore pbl as mercer. Some of them like utmb have some pbl's worked in there, but also have lecture. Their reasoning, according the one of my interviewers, is that it helps to have the pbl for learning info, but boards are so heavily content based that you need to have the regular lecture stuff to do well on them. Which is where I got my trepidation about straight pbl schools. Oh and I'll be up at mcg on the 12th as well!

Around mid to late september I got that email saying everything was in. From what I hear Mercer and mcg interview well into march so there is still plenty of time. Your stats look good, I was just complete earlier, and everyone in GA seems to work at a snails pace so I'm sure they'll get around to you! :luck:

Well, guy in my college got interview at mercer eventhough he was complete after me and had less mcat and gpa than me.

He had good ECs. can good ECs overshadow good mcat and gpa?

Well, guy in my college got interview at mercer eventhough he was complete after me and had less mcat and gpa than me.

depends on the school but yes they can sometimes- if his MCAT was still in range and gpa allright...also his area of residency could come into play (rural or not) as well as personal statement, lor, etc... don't lay blame on a single thing it is a package... and some people are better wrappers than others ;)

Sometimes this whole process is so madeningly subjective it's hard to tell why some people get interviews and others do. There are so many things to take into account besides just stats, from politics to urm's. I suppose good ecs could overshadow stats to a certain degree, but not if you were incredibly low. I guess certain things in an app can catch an eye, like I think the fact that I have worked full time all through college to help support myself and family has weighed heavily and allowed me to get interviews I may not otherwise have gotten.

Hey guys, was just wondering if anyone knew anything about mcg's summer pre-maticulation program? Of course I have yet to be accepted but wanted to still see if anyone knew anything about it...

hi guys, i submitted my MCG app mid august, received interview invite in oct, and had my interview (after rescheduling to a later date) this week dec 12. my last interviewer, who was on the committee, said that the committee was probably not going to meet again until next year. so i'm going to be crossing my fingers and waiting anxiously over the holidays.. bummer.

my stats: recent georgia resident, gpa 3.52, mcat 34

good luck to everyone

hi guys, i submitted my MCG app mid august, received interview invite in oct, and had my interview (after rescheduling to a later date) this week dec 12. my last interviewer, who was on the committee, said that the committee was probably not going to meet again until next year. so i'm going to be crossing my fingers and waiting anxiously over the holidays.. bummer.

my stats: recent georgia resident, gpa 3.52, mcat 34

good luck to everyone

I'll be eagerly crossing my fingers along with you :)

And I just happened to be interviewing at mcg on the 12th too

I'm going to MCG next year, and I'm also interested in this summer thing. Anyone know about it?

Just a FYI about Mercer... since I go there. The PBL at Mercer, although it takes a little getting used to when coming from a lecture based college, is truly a blessing in disguise. As opposed to many of the lecture based schools whose exams rely heavily on powerpoint lectures and the professor telling you (to an extent) what will or won't be on the exam, this program puts the dictation of what is important and not on YOU, the student. We have a study guide with objectives (a typical study guide is about 50 pages long for a 6 week "phase) but all of the information comes from reading and learning from our textbooks. That is why Mercer kids do so well on the boards... they are exposed to all of the material upfront without being only given a selected amount in a powerpoint. The competition (although always there) is less since the first two years are pass/fail. When it comes to the stats of Mercer, they CHOOSE to be less numerically competitive than some of the other GA schools. I was very much above their average stats and was originally waitlisted... they choose people that fit their specific criteria and truly base a large part of the interview on personally and your ability to function in PBL and as a member of a learning "team." Simply assuming that you will get in because your stats are "above" is not correct with Mercer... it seriously is somewhat of a crapshoot as to who they liked that day and who they didn't. Just my 2 cents.

:)