GA State Pre-Med?

WorriedKid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a high school junior in Georgia looking to pursue Pre-Med studies, I have done lots of summer hospital internships and am very involved in the leadership of my high school healthcare clubs. I am in the IB Program and have a 3.7 GPA, and a 29 ACT score. Having done extensive research on the field, combined with my love of Biology and Chemistry, I would like to continue shadowing and interning more extensively in college, alongside doing research and studying neuroscience (my true passion).

Anyways, I am curious about what university to attend for these studies. I've been thinking about GA State, since it's close to home, almost free, and they have a dedicated Neuroscience Major/research lab. My girlfriend of three years is going there, but that's really just icing on the cake rather than a deciding factor.

I'm worried that GA State, being a lower-tier school, would hinder my chances of getting into medical school. I would apply to all 5 med schools in GA of course, but with rising competition in medicine, will going to a school like GA State hinder my chances? I will apply to UGA, GA Tech, and Emory, also, however I don't think I'll get into UGA and Emory, and even then, I'd have trouble paying for Emory. Ideally I'd like to stay close to home in Atlanta, so UGA would hurt me there.

GA State is the perfect school for me in every way regarding studies, curriculum, location, price, literally the only issue is its lower tier. I just want to know if this is a legitimate concern or not. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The most important thing in terms of applying to medical school will be your GPA, MCAT, extracurricular activities and (to some extent) letters of recommendation. Prestige of school will maybe matter a little bit, but will definitely not make up for weak grades, activities, etc.

It sounds like you have your heart seat on GA state and it seems like you would do well there. With a neuroscience major and research opportunities, I'm sure you could find a lot of cool things to do. Work hard, engage in various extracurriculars (volunteering, research, etc.), and I'm sure you'll do just fine when it comes time to apply to med.

For now though, just focus on the things you have going on and try to enjoy the rest of high school. Good luck!!

I am a high school junior in Georgia looking to pursue Pre-Med studies, I have done lots of summer hospital internships and am very involved in the leadership of my high school healthcare clubs. I am in the IB Program and have a 3.7 GPA, and a 29 ACT score. Having done extensive research on the field, combined with my love of Biology and Chemistry, I would like to continue shadowing and interning more extensively in college, alongside doing research and studying neuroscience (my true passion).

Anyways, I am curious about what university to attend for these studies. I've been thinking about GA State, since it's close to home, almost free, and they have a dedicated Neuroscience Major/research lab. My girlfriend of three years is going there, but that's really just icing on the cake rather than a deciding factor.

I'm worried that GA State, being a lower-tier school, would hinder my chances of getting into medical school. I would apply to all 5 med schools in GA of course, but with rising competition in medicine, will going to a school like GA State hinder my chances? I will apply to UGA, GA Tech, and Emory, also, however I don't think I'll get into UGA and Emory, and even then, I'd have trouble paying for Emory. Ideally I'd like to stay close to home in Atlanta, so UGA would hurt me there.

GA State is the perfect school for me in every way regarding studies, curriculum, location, price, literally the only issue is its lower tier. I just want to know if this is a legitimate concern or not. Thanks in advance!
Extensive research? What's that like for HS? Did you get to be co author of a paper? Or were you a tech and washed beakers?

College tier doesn't matter. Your numbers were similar to mine (3.8 unweighted GpA and 29 ACT). med schools cares more about GPA and MCAT than school rank.