Gabbard books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billypilgrim37

Unstuck in Time
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So G2 has written too many books on Amazon, and I've put off buying one of these texts because I can never get a straight answer from folks which one I should drop money on.

So I'm down to Psychodynamic Psychiatry in Clinical Practice and Long-Term Psychodynamic Psychotherapy. The latter I think would be considered the gold standard, the former the quick and dirty, extremely high yield text.

I imagine that either way, I'll wind up with the 652 page book before the year's end, and anticipate eating the stuff up. I guess my question is to whether the 210 page book would be a more valuable primer. Could I fly through it, get a nice framework, and then fill in the gaps with the more intensive study? Or is the PPCP book so well-written that I'm best to just plunge right on in?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Billy

Sorry I don't know what *you* like, but how about testing before buying and checking both out from the library?
You surely can read through the shorter volume quickly... and maybe you want the more encompassing volume for your shelf at home? :D Or to adorn the office? :laugh:
I'm a checking things out in the library person, it surely saved me a few times from investing into books I would not have liked.

fMRI

I'm basically employing the strategy you described. I have the 210 page book. I am starting with this one and have no regrets. When my program doles out the second round of book money, I will purchase the long term book. I have looked through Long Term and they appear to compliment each other. I think the 210 page book is a better first read ( for those of us in training).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Aight, so LTPP from the library now, and ordering the 600pager from Amazon today. Thanks folks.

If it weren't for being disorganized, I wouldn't be organized at all.