gain remaining credits after the evaluation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awdiwa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an international student, who completed BSc in PT in Sri Lanka in 2014.
I’ve been in USA on dependent(F2) visa(my husband is a PhD student) since then.
During this time I got evaluated my Bachlor’s degree through New York state board in order to sit for NPTE examination. But it came to be that I am lacking of 30 credits. According to them I need to complete at least a MSc on Physical therapy.
Could someone please advise me on the options that I have now? I dont think I can do DPT due to lack of financial availability.
Can I try PTA evaluation or PTA degree through community college? But I heard that PTA is not eligible for H1B.
I really appreciate if someone could provide me some guides. Thank in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have the option to go back to Sri Lanka to complete the 30 credits you have remaining, earn the master in PT over there and come back here to get it evaluated again so that you can become a PT here ? Maybe a school in Sri Lanka will let you take online classes so that you don't have to physically go there?

The master of PT is no longer offered in the US so the only options I can think of would be:
1) go back to Sri Lanka to complete the remaining credits or
2) Look for DPT programs you can afford/ offer a lot of scholarships. I know Angelo State in Texas does... But I feel like it wouldn't make a lot of sense in your situation because the time to apply/get accepted, 2 years will have already have passed, and you could have had your master in that time.
3) I don't know about PTA and H1B visa.. That's something to really research. Im an international student as well so I understand the need to not do a profession that doesn't lead to an H1B. Maybe you could do PTA and then find a PTA to DPT Bridge program.

Hi beyoutiful_sunshine,
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I really appreciate it.
Unfortunately there is no MSc offered in PT back in Sri Lanka. So I guess the only option would be to look into DPT program.
BTW is there any chance that we as international students can get loans to study such programs. Since it is a lot of money I wonder if it is a possibility.
Thanks in advance

Hi beyoutiful_sunshine,
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I really appreciate it.
Unfortunately there is no MSc offered in PT back in Sri Lanka. So I guess the only option would be to look into DPT program.
BTW is there any chance that we as international students can get loans to study such programs. Since it is a lot of money I wonder if it is a possibility.
Thanks in advance

We can't get any federal student loans but there are some banks that would give us private loans but for most of the ones I was looking at, we need an American co-signer.