Gained/Lost Weight 3rd year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharkbyte

Take me to the top
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you guys gain weight or lose weight 3rd year? Or mostly stay the same? I imagine the more grueling rotations like surgery and medicine make it harder to stick to a regimen but did anyone find 3rd year conducive to a consistent exercise regimen? I've put on some weight during dedicated and vacation time that I'd like to lose...lol

Members don't see this ad.

So. Much. Gained. For me.

Reactions: 4 users
None in 3rd year. I was hustling all year.

But 4th year was a killer.... all those away rotations, hospital food/fast food, decadent pre interview meals, complete lack of post match motivation... that’s what ya got to watch for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont have any time to weigh myself.

Reactions: 5 users
My diet went to hell the third year of medical school. I was still hitting the gym the same so I thought I was fine. Then I saw a video of myself and was like: holy **** is that what I look like now??? Unfortunately, life doesn’t get easier after third year. You have residency, being an attending, finances, family, law suits, etc. I realized very early on I would run into trouble. I exercise 75% of days (3 on, 1 off) and have been doing this for years. I also don’t get fast food on my way home from work and try to drink only water. Adds up.

Long story short: don’t focus on any year and develop life long health strategies because whatever you think is hard about third year, it only gets harder from there... you just get smarter. ;)

Reactions: 9 users
I gain and lose weight every year.

It’s called bulking and cutting ;)

Reactions: 1 users
I lost the weight I gained my first 2 years my 3rd year. You need to watch out for cafeteria food and portion.

Reactions: 2 users
Somehow, I eat better and stay more active when I'm up at 6 and not home until 7 than when I work/study from 8am-3pm every day. It's like, the less time I have, the better I use it.
I ate more home-cooked meals when I was at the hospital all day than I ever did in M1/2, and we only had 6 required hours per week in preclinicals.

Reactions: 3 users
I had surgery first and initially lost a few pounds but I wound up gaining about 15 pounds during 3rd year :( Gonna have to work on establishing an exercise/nutrition routine during 4th year so I don't balloon during residency...

Reactions: 1 user
Throughout third year, my weight fluctuated. I gained 15 lbs during Step 1 studying from emotional eating, which I lost the first three months of third year during surgery and IM. My scrubs were hanging off me at the end of IM. I ate the same protein shake for breakfast and bagged salad, guacamole packs, carrots, cold cuts, and chicken for weeks at a time since it was so easy to throw those items into a lunch bag and rush out the door to the hospital. I also made quiches and spaghetti squash casserole to freeze for quick dinners since I was usually too tired to make anything when I got home.

Then, I gained 7-10 lbs during OB since my sleeping became erratic from call, I had a long commute (40 minutes each way), and totally overindulged in that hospital’s delicious Southern cafeteria food. Sleeping at the hospital was awful. I never slept well and constantly craved carbs the next day.

The next month during psych, I lost weight since I had more free time to cook and started Beach Body on Demand (MMA ftw!) in the evenings. Getting adequate sleep improves your workouts and eating choices so dramatically. I don’t think people realize how strong the connection is between cortisol and sugar intake.

Finally, during FM, I gained weight since I lived out of a hotel and was very lonely that whole month. I actually did okay till the last couple weeks, when bagged salads, cheese sticks, protein bars, and cold cuts got old. You can only take so much before you get tired of not having your own place to come home to and relax and prep food at.

What helped with preventing things from spiraling out of control was weighing myself regularly. I can see how easy it is for people to let themselves go. It’s so tempting to stick your head in the sand and not actively work on your weight like you do your hair, teeth, skin, etc. It requires just as much, if not more, effort to meal prep and lift weights a few minutes every day, but you have to make time for it. Just make it a non-negotiable. The research is showing how much harder it is to lose weight once you’ve gained it then we ever thought possible, so stopping excess weight gain before it starts is incredibly important.

The stresses of med school can really take their toll on your physique. It’s a bit of a cruel twist since we’re supposed to inspire our patients to live well.

Reactions: 3 users
Gained weight on IM because always had time to eat during noon conference

Lost weight on surgery because some days didn't even have time to grab lunch

Stable most other rotations

Members don't see this ad :)
Lost weight 3rd year because I finally had time again

Did you guys gain weight or lose weight 3rd year? Or mostly stay the same? I imagine the more grueling rotations like surgery and medicine make it harder to stick to a regimen but did anyone find 3rd year conducive to a consistent exercise regimen? I've put on some weight during dedicated and vacation time that I'd like to lose...lol

Weight fluctuated about 5%-7% depending on the rotation but overall managed the most successful bulk/cut cycle of med school. Gotta look good in scrubs and now everyone assumes I'm going into ortho. Gained by far the most weight in OBGYN due to daily baked goods via residents.

If you watch what you eat, pack your meals (don't eat the free pizza), and force yourself to go to the gym (or run, or whatever) consistently regardless of the clinical workload, you can stay in shape. Even if this means going to the gym after a 12+ hour surgery shift.

I should note, however, that I'm one of those people who lists working out as a hobby/de-stressor, I'm not a stress eater, and that a number of my classmates (both genders) gained a ton of weight over 3rd year.

Definitely lost weight during my surgery clerkship. 5 '10 guy, normally weigh 150-155 pounds, dropped to 135. I actually went and saw someone because I was worried something was wrong with me. Its what happens when you are basically intermittent fasting for 8 weeks. I only had time to eat twice/day, and couldn't consume enough calories during those 2 meals for what I was using running around the hospital all day. I hate snacking so without those small calorie boosts during the day my metabolism won.

more time 3rd year vs preclinical? I thought it would be the opposite

Depends what your school does. I had mandatory attendance so yes I was way more time 3rd year

You can lose weight with 90 minutes of exercise per week. If you're posting on the internet about not having enough time to work out...

Its easier to count calories. Also more effective than exercising.

Gained 10 lbs during 3rd year as a result of too many protein bars (I get hangry), cafeteria food, drawstring pants that gave me no indication anything was awry...

Train hard, eat smart, be less stressed. Pick one of the three and you should be fine. Usually eating less is the easiest option both mentally and physically. If you start looking at food as sustinence and not you’re bff and savior then it’s easy. Find other avenues to comfort yourself: Friends, exercise, sex, exploring. All four combined? :eek:

Reactions: 1 users
Lost weight during dedicated because I set my own schedule, and always made time for diet and exercise.
Lost weight during my more grueling rotations because I rarely had time to eat during the day, and was always too tired to eat (yes, that’s a thing) when I got home at the end of the day.
Gained weight during the relatively easier M3 rotations because of all the take-out and lack of exercise.

Moral of the story: always make time for grocery shopping, cooking, and the gym.

I lost 12-15 pounds 3rd year... pretty much forgot to eat the whole year and I'm in NYC, so lots of walking plus no food = serious weight loss... put it back on during fourth year though

I am losing weight during 3rd year. I have been on surgery, so I live on nutrition bars and coffee. Of course, this is okay because the nurses during my family med rotation tried to fatten me up.

My diet went to hell the third year of medical school. I was still hitting the gym the same so I thought I was fine. Then I saw a video of myself and was like: holy **** is that what I look like now??? Unfortunately, life doesn’t get easier after third year. You have residency, being an attending, finances, family, law suits, etc. I realized very early on I would run into trouble. I exercise 75% of days (3 on, 1 off) and have been doing this for years. I also don’t get fast food on my way home from work and try to drink only water. Adds up.

Long story short: don’t focus on any year and develop life long health strategies because whatever you think is hard about third year, it only gets harder from there... you just get smarter. ;)

Excluding ETOH?

On my second away and down about 10lbs now. Still lifting though, so partially on purpose and partially because I have no money left.

Stayed at a consistent weight for most of third year. Then 2 months of surgery happened. Gained about 7 pounds haha.

Stayed at a consistent weight for most of third year. Then 2 months of surgery happened. Gained about 7 pounds haha.
Yeah same. Went from running around the hospital doing scut to retracting and cutting knots in place for 6 hours a day.

Who would’ve thought standing, even with the lights and lead on, doesn’t actually burn many calories lol

Thankfull those 10 lbs went away in a month once I was getting my steps in again

Surgery ruined me. I snacked way too much and on things with tons of sugar in them.

Here's me-

1st year: Entered at 6 ft tall, 140 lbs. Very skinny.
2nd year: Worked out and ate a LOT. Bulked up to a very lean/muscular 175 lbs.
3rd year:
July-December: Ate a lot, didn't work out. Lost probably 10 lbs of muscle and gained 10 lbs of fat. Evened out at a blobby 175 lbs.
January-March: Ate much less, worked out a lot. Dropped back to a very lean/muscular 165 lbs.
March-June: Couldn't lift weights because all gyms were closed. Began running everyday instead. Dropped to 150 lbs. Very skinny again, basically back to square one. Waiting for the gyms to reopen so I can put some muscle back on.

So yeah, my weight is very volatile.
But really, if you make working out a priority, you will have the time to work out. On my surgery rotation, I used to come back from a 15 hr shift, drive directly to the gym and work out for an hour every day.
Be resourceful too. If you have a jumprope at home you can burn 300 calories in 30 minutes.
Start meal prepping instead of eating the junk they serve in hospital cafeterias. Count your calories everyday.

If there is a will, there's a way. Now get up and go!!

Lost mad weight. When I'm working all day, I only eat one meal per day. Otherwise, I'm constantly eating.