Gaining a Shadowing Position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ysk1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no doctor who knows me or is related to my family or friends.
Even my family physician doesn't know me.
I heard that cold calling is ineffective.
Should I just make an appointment with my family physician and ask him about shadowing?
But wouldn't he think I'm weird, because he doesn't know me well enough to help me find a shadowing position?

Members don't see this ad.

I have no doctor who knows me or is related to my family or friends.
Even my family physician doesn't know me.
I heard that cold calling is ineffective.
Should I just make an appointment with my family physician and ask him about shadowing?
But wouldn't he think I'm weird, because he doesn't know me well enough to help me find a shadowing position?

This is how I did it, it might work for you. I volunteered at a hospital for a couple of months and got sorta familiar with the doctors. I then picked out then picked out the nicest doctor and asked her. She was already familiar with me and was more than happy to let me shadow her once a week. Hope that helps.

if you're doing research, ask your PI if she can hook u up with any doctors. PIs usually know a lot of doctors, that's how i got mine. sorry if that doesn't apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're near a university hospital you could do what I did- I searched for someone in the specialty I wanted to shadow, and emailed him using "quick question" as the subject. I told him who I was, that I was thinking about medicine, and asked if I could shadow him. He set up a meeting, and then I started.

at the med school here, i got talk to the resident coordinator for whatever area i want to shadow in (orthopaedic surgery in my case). she set me right up.

if your in Canada you're not allowed to shadow (it's against insurance policies". :(

if your in Canada you're not allowed to shadow (it's against insurance policies". :(
Are you serious? My sister is shadowing a dentist now.

Are you serious? My sister is shadowing a dentist now.

maybe it works differently for dentists... but as far as i know your not allowed to shadow phsyicians... even a close family friend (cardiologist) said it would not be ok to shadow him due to insurance policies.

From those who I've spoken with, most docs are pretty cool about allowing shadowing from random folk, as long as they express why. Also, E-mailing is the best thing to do, so that they can have a chance to think it over and not be put on a spot. University associated docs (if possible) tend to be the coolest about it, because they are used to having students with them all/most of the time because most of the faculty are considered "administration" in some capacity (at least here in the State of Michigan). Find a specialty that you like or think you do, E-mail someone and ask if it is okay to shadow them, or if they are unavailable, if they know someone who would be okay with it. Obviously, write professionally so you don't sound like an idiot. Good luck.

This is how I did it, it might work for you. I volunteered at a hospital for a couple of months and got sorta familiar with the doctors. I then picked out then picked out the nicest doctor and asked her. She was already familiar with me and was more than happy to let me shadow her once a week. Hope that helps.

I have volunteered at a hospital for over a year and since doctors come in and out in the area I work it that hasn't helped...

I have however shadowed my general. She did know me and my whole family. I have asked her medical school questions since I moved to Ga when I was 15 and now that I am half way through undergrad I went ahead and asked her if I coud shadow. She did more than just that though! I went in yesterday and shadowed then we talked more about schools, grades, etc (which is great cuz she is also an adcom!)...she offered to let me shadow more and if I need another specialty she can help with that too. And she also said she would write a letter to where she went and others if I need them. It was very interactive and everything!

The doc told my mom during her general physical that she was in a meeting with other doctors and they were discussing the need to mentor future doctors and she told them about me (without using my name) and how she planned to help... Im so thankful for this

I also am working on specialty shadowing through a family friend of the people I nanny for and hopefully things will go well with that too!