Gaining dentistry knowledge as a pre-dent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

As a pre-dental student, it really doesn't seem like I have gained much knowledge about dental/oral health in my time in college. People are always asking me general questions about procedures and stuff when I tell them I am a pre-dent; sometimes I have a good answer, but most times I don't feel like I really know the answer to their questions... Which has made me really want to spend some time learning more about all the different types of procedures, and gain more knowledge about oral health and facets of dentistry as a whole. I think this would be good for me to get a really good baseline of information of most of this stuff before I start the interview/application process, and more importantly before I enter into dental school (pending acceptance)
So, my question is, what are the best sources of info that I can look into (to get knowledge about all the different procedures, baseline terminology, basic oral anatomy, the business background of dentistry, etc...)?
And, is there a good magazine, journal, blog or some other online source that is good for pre-dents that keeps them up-to-date on today's dentistry?

I know that shadowing is the most important tool for gaining knowledge; but, there's only so much time you can spend shadowing really... I'm half way to 100 hours of shadowing already; I've definitely learned stuff, but I feel like I can learn more other ways, too. I feel like reading about all of the terminology is the best way to absorb some of this stuff that's good to know.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe Penn offers a course through Coursera that is free. At least last summer they did.

Reactions: 1 user
They are still offering it now. I highly recommend taking it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that looks like exactly what I was looking for. Thanks guys!