Thinking About Dentistry Instead of Respiratory Therapy:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TS2354

Reaction score
I am a 26-year-old Community College student who is thinking about becoming a Respiratory Therapist. However, recently I have been considering Dentistry after taking this career aptitude assessment called You Science through my college's career services office. The assessment showed that I have a strong aptitude for Orthodontics and Prosthodontics. I know this would take 4 years of undergrad along with 4 years of dental school and then another graduate program for either Orthodontics or Prosthodontics which would be 3 years. If I went this route, I would be approaching my late 30s. This is also why I think that I should just pursue Respiratory Therapy. Since, I will be 30 years old in 4 years and Respiratory Therapy would just require an associate of applied science degree from the Community College that I currently go to right now. I know that dental school is very expensive and that I would need to take the DAT. I would just like some input. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd shadow a general dentist first, and then shadow the Orthodontist and Prosthodontist to see if that's even something you'd like. Not everything they say on an aptitude test is correct, and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a 26-year-old Community College student who is thinking about becoming a Respiratory Therapist. However, recently I have been considering Dentistry after taking this career aptitude assessment called You Science through my college's career services office. The assessment showed that I have a strong aptitude for Orthodontics and Prosthodontics. I know this would take 4 years of undergrad along with 4 years of dental school and then another graduate program for either Orthodontics or Prosthodontics which would be 3 years. If I went this route, I would be approaching my late 30s. This is also why I think that I should just pursue Respiratory Therapy. Since, I will be 30 years old in 4 years and Respiratory Therapy would just require an associate of applied science degree from the Community College that I currently go to right now. I know that dental school is very expensive and that I would need to take the DAT. I would just like some input. Thanks!
you not only need to do undergrad and d school to become an orthodontist/prosthodontist
you need to excel in undergrad to get into d school, and then work even harder to get into a specialty program
an aptitude test is not enough to tell you what you should do with your life...

Reactions: 1 users