Gaining experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarheel1025

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone-

I just graduated from college with a degree in Biology and plan on applying to MPH (Behavior and Education/Behavioral Science) programs this coming Fall. I have a decent GPA, 3.4, and still need to take the GRE, but I'm concerned that I don't have any experience in public health.

I feel like every job or internship I look into requires or recommends previous experience, but I need a job to get experience, and on and on it goes.

Does anyone have any advice? Anything would be helpful!

I'm considering applying to Americorps right now, but I've heard a VERY mixed bag of reviews on that, so I'm kind of wary about it at the moment.

Members don't see this ad.

Internships (especially non-paid ones) are usually more lax about previous experience, etc. I'm sure you can find something that doesn't require experience. Ask around: your PH professors, friends, family, career center advisors, etc. Look up directories for local health organizations. You might not get exactly the position you want, but there are meaningful opportunities out there.

honestly, i do not think it matters that much. some mph programs / focuses could be very competitive, so gpa and gre score would probably be the first cut off line, then letters of recommendation, interviews, and experiences.