Gaining residency for vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pitbull lover

CSU Class of 2014
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, this is my second time applying to vet school and I am trying to find options if I don't get in this cycle and have to re-apply for a third time. I was contemplating moving to Colorado, gain residency, and apply to vet school there.

Does anyone have experience with gaining residency/domicile for Colorado State if you were from another state?

I talked to a veterinarian who tried to gain residency in Colorado by moving and living there for a whole year. She was unable to get residency even though she did everything they wanted except for owning property. However, a friend of hers did buy property in colorado and she got into the vet school.

Is it that hard to gain residency in Colorado? How are other vet schools about this? ( The vet eventually moved to Tennessee to gain residency and got in)

Thank you for any advice or information you can give.
 
I can't say I know all of the specifics regarding residency in colorado but I was looking into it and I think you have to have been employed full time, with a colorado driver's license and permanent residence for a year prior to matriculating at CSU. They do make it VERY difficult to gain residency and their out of state tuition is through the roof (and you can't gain residency during the 4 years as a vet student). The tuition kind of stressed me out at first but after being told several times to look at it as an investment in my future rather than as a gaping debt, I feel better about digging myself into such a crazy hole. If you really are interested in gaining residency in CO I would suggest contacting the school for more information. They are really the only ones who can tell you exactly what you need to do.
 
Since it's relatively easy to gain residency in Ohio after your first year of vet school, I would imagine it would be likewise if you moved here during your application year.
 
one thing to keep in mind about CSU as well... even if you are a resident, I believe you are not guaranteed a sponsored spot... They have only 80 sponsored spots a year out of roughly 134 spots, so it is possible to be a resident but get placed in a non-sponsored spot, paying the insane non-sponsored tuition (as I will be doing coming from Massachusetts 🙂 )

However, as a CO resident, you will still have much better odds of being accepted, (this year they accepted something like only 1.6% out of state applicants, and something around 30% of CO applicants)... here is the link of the 2007 applicant stats: http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/cvmbs/profile.htm#2007

Good luck 🙂