Game Time, Beginning My MCAT Prep....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scean

whats a goon to a goblin?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Well I've decided that the time has come to begin this monstrous task. With a pretty killer fall schedule on deck I’ve decided to go ahead and begin preparing for a January test date next year to give me ample time since my classes wont allow me to completely allot my efforts to the MCAT.

So, I suppose my main question is, where in the world did you successful MCAT folks start? Ive got a Kaplan MCAT premier Book, and a set of Exam Krackers 1001 questions in "whatever" for each subject except Organic since its my understanding that Organic isnt tooooo heavily represented, and I did very well in Ochem and feel comfortable with most topics. Ive also got about 3 full-length tests at my disposal so far, with two coming w/ the Kaplan package and the 1 freebie online for the MCAT CBT. I would assume i should look into purchasing a few AMCAS tests, anybody have any info regarding which ones? paper or CBT? just any general MCAT prep advice anyone has to offer would be great.

best regards,

Scean

Members don't see this ad.

right you are, admin please move if you can, sorry about that everybody

Hey everybody,

Well I've decided that the time has come to begin this monstrous task. With a pretty killer fall schedule on deck I've decided to go ahead and begin preparing for a January test date next year to give me ample time since my classes wont allow me to completely allot my efforts to the MCAT.

So, I suppose my main question is, where in the world did you successful MCAT folks start? Ive got a Kaplan MCAT premier Book, and a set of Exam Krackers 1001 questions in "whatever" for each subject except Organic since its my understanding that Organic isnt tooooo heavily represented, and I did very well in Ochem and feel comfortable with most topics. Ive also got about 3 full-length tests at my disposal so far, with two coming w/ the Kaplan package and the 1 freebie online for the MCAT CBT. I would assume i should look into purchasing a few AMCAS tests, anybody have any info regarding which ones? paper or CBT? just any general MCAT prep advice anyone has to offer would be great.

best regards,

Scean

I would advise you to take as many practice tests as possible. I took 21 or so before I took the exam and I think it helped. During my exam I still didn't think I did that well on the exam but my scores weren't bad, so I guess I did ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking the MCAT in January and not starting studying until October. You sure you really need six months?

I'm taking the MCAT in January and not starting studying until October. You sure you really need six months?

Depends on if you've taken more bio classes or not. Those taking physics in their junior year need to jump on it early. You're going to be learning more than studying in the beginning

Yeah but I took physics over the summer between freshman and sophomore year, and since then have forgotten pretty much all of it LOL. It will be a learning experience for me :p

...you got a 39.

Yeah, I was testing in that range on my practice tests, but felt worse about the actual test, but scored the same. I studied about 2 solid months for the test with just taking a Berkeley Review review course.

Yea with my demanding fall schedule ahead of me; Biology 2, Physics 2, Biochemistry, and some other random Exercise Physiology course, volunteering, research, and 2 jobs, I know I’ve got to get the ball rolling early because I wont be able to devote as much study time to MCAT material as I need to during that busy October to December stretch.