Gap between residency and matched fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sleepisawesome

Reaction score
Hi! Looking for some thoughts on the following: I just graduated from IM residency this past June. Subsequently studied and passed boards and interviewed/matched for fellowship to begin July 2020. Initially the plan was to take some time off through the holidays and work locums from January to the start of fellowship. But it has been fairly difficult to find locum positions as I'm in a pretty saturated market and I really don't want to do urgent care. I also recently moved back to my home state to spend more time with my family before the start of fellowship in another state. At this point, I'd rather not travel far for locums if I don't have to and thankfully I'm financially set so taking time off wouldn't hurt. That being said, is there any harm to taking the remainder of the time off until starting fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
not really, though you will need to explain the gap on licensing and credentialing, but you can put what you stated in your post and shouldn't be a problem.