1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Gap in pay between states

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by gdk420, Apr 18, 2004.

1. gdk420

gdk420 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was just curious, does anyone know why there is such a big gap in pay for pharmacist between the different states. I looked at the government salary site and I see a major gap in pay between mass and california, but at the same time, the gap was not that big for other health professions such as physicians and dentist. However, I did check salary.com and according to their numbers, the pharmacist in mass. make about the same as in cali. I was curious as to why is there a big gap in pay for our profession and not the other profession.

2. pharmaz88

10+ Year Member

supply and demand.

Not as much population growth on the East Coast as there is out west.

more people = more development = more pharmacies = more pharmacists needed

not enough pharmacists to go around = more money

(I think this is why they want you to take economics as a pre-req. lol )

3. michelleca4

michelleca4 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

The cost of living in CA is expensive in comparison to other states.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pmkinzero

pmkinzero Junior Member

I know of a few interns that make close to $30.00 an hour in downtown L.A.. However, the jobs really suck, the cost of living is very high, they have to sit in 2 hrs of traffic every night to get home, and they dont even live that far away, oh- and parking is roughly $20.00 a day! All of this = more money, however do you think its worth it?? I'll take my $20 an hour in Washington state, have fun working, and have good memories when I am a pharmacist of my intern hours!

5. Like some of the others said, I think it just depends on the demand for pharmacists in the area. If there is a big shortage they are going to be paying more. Also, like Michelle said you have to take into consideration the cost of living differences. I wonder if there is a source that figures that into it?

6. lord999

Pharmacist Faculty Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist, Academic Administration
    I would suggest pharmacyonesource.com. It also has all of the regulatory info and product development news you can stand.