Gap Year Advice (ER Tech or Clinical Research Coordinator)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdac

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just wanted to see what other people thought regarding what I should do for my gap year. At my current role I am an ER tech at a Level 1 trauma center making $20 an hour. It is also in the city I conducted undergrad research. I have been offered a position at another hospital near my home as a Clinical Research Coordinator for ~$22 - $26 an hour (still negotiating). I am having trouble making a decision on what to do so I would love some inputs.

LORs are not an issue for me. I have bench research hours (1800) and clinical experience hours (2700), so these aren't a factor in my decision.

The pros of staying at my current roles would be that I could continue my research project on the side. I would also have unlimited overtime for ER tech and since I'm per diem I can take time off for interviews and secondaries whenever and I can travel recreationally (important given my partner is graduating and moving to Florida because they are OOS. These roles are both NJ). I can also ask my PI to pay me for my research work by becoming a research tech ($12/hour). Workload is likely less compared to the CRC role considering I work the night shift. Commute is a 2 minute walk from apartment. Cons would be that I find this job mundane after nearly 3 years, one less entry for primary app, and I would have to pay $17,000 in rent over the course of a year, and I would have no social support group given that everyone is graduating.

The pros of starting this new CRC role is that I would learn about the regulatory processes which could help in the future in med school interviews or if I pursue academic medicine. It is also likely more professionally satisfying. It would save me $17,000 in rent money (so technically my hourly rate is $20-$8.50 to equal $11.50 an hour) as I would be living at home and it would allow me to add another thing to my work and activities for this upcoming cycle. Cons would be I am unsure if publication potential is high and I would be upheld to a full time job meaning little flexibility for interviews. Commute is 20 minute car ride from my house and world load is significantly more.

In summation, I guess the real question is whether rent money and having one more thing on my primary application is worth it enough to leaving my per diem job and discontinuing my research after 4 years. Given that this is a research role, you can also refer back to my WAMC thread to gauge whether this position would increases my cycle chances enough at particular schools to warrant taking it despite the drawbacks. Please let me know what you guys think, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.