Gap year advice for undecided applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreenThenGone

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I did three years of biochemistry research during undergrad (1000+ hours), gave a poster presentation, and wrote a thesis. I would receive a very strong LOR from this PI. That being said, I'm taking two gap years between undergrad and med school matriculation (applying in 2023-24 cycle) because I need to beef up some of my ECs and decide whether to apply MD or MD/PhD. I already have high stats (4.0/526) and solid non-clinical volunteering and leadership. I have two problems: (1) I am unsure if I want to go MD or MD/PhD and (2) I severely lack clinical experience.

I want to keep both doors open and use the next year to decide the path that is best for me. With that in mind, I have two job offers right now: medical assistant and clinical psychology research assistant. From what I understand, clinical research may not be viewed as favorably by MD/PhD programs as the basic science research that I did during undergrad. If I decide to apply MD, I know it's kind of wishy-washy whether clinical research counts as clinical experience. I'm leaning towards taking the medical assistant job part-time and finding another basic science lab that I can work in and hopefully gain a publication or two. Would this plan keep both MD and MD/PhD paths open for me? I plan to shadow several MD/PhDs in the coming year and hope that insight will allow me to make a decision.

Members don't see this ad.

If you know you need clinical experience, that should help guide you on your plans because you need it for any MD admission chance. It sounds like you have the right idea: find someone who is an MD/PhD willing to let you shadow or work for them. Try to see whether you can attend or help out at summer research conferences belonging to the department, highlighting work from the research fellows or other students working in the lab.

Whatever you do, make it clear when you are shadowing what your needs are when it comes to gaining more clinical exposure. I think you have your part-time MA job that will help you get the hours, but find out what you really need to be engaged about during your experiences.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm leaning towards taking the medical assistant job part-time and finding another basic science lab that I can work in and hopefully gain a publication or two.
I would definitely choose this option, and it will boost your application no matter what you decide. I think the rule of thumb is it doesn't count as clinical experience unless you are in a patient room. Although research is very important, even MD/PhD ADCOMs want to see some clinical exposure. Also, the MA job may help you decide how much of a clinical role you would like one day as a physician scientist (or physician) which is helpful to know for interviews.