Gap Year Advice - Nursing Assistant (neuro vs trauma?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wr10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm seeking more clinical experience during my gap year to prepare myself for medical school. Based on feedback from adcoms, I decided to apply for a Nursing Assistant position in a hospital to gain some valuable hands-on patient experience. I interviewed and received job offers from both the Neurology/Neuroscience department and the Trauma Services department.

I was equally impressed with both departments and felt that I would be happy, comfortable and benefit immensely from either position. If it helps to provide context, I'm eventually looking to enter primary care practice in either family, internal, or emergency medicine. Also, the hospital is directly connected with my first choice medical school so this is a great opportunity to meet some faculty.

Which position (neuro vs trauma) should I choose and why? Are there any factors should I prioritize in making this decision? If you have any personal insight or advice I'd greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

CNA on neurosurgery/neurology unit here. It seems like this unit is very work-intensive compared to other units. This means very few neuro patients can walk on their own due to stroke, sz. disorder, etc., so you have to respond to a lot of call lights. Trauma seems like it would be a lot more hectic and fast-paced though.

Reactions: 1 user
CNA on neurosurgery/neurology unit here. It seems like this unit is very work-intensive compared to other units. This means very few neuro patients can walk on their own due to stroke, sz. disorder, etc., so you have to respond to a lot of call lights. Trauma seems like it would be a lot more hectic and fast-paced though.
Great, thanks for the insight! I got that feeling as well. I also heard that you need good time management when helping neuro patients as some may take longer to assist than others.

Reactions: 1 user
Great, thanks for the insight! I got that feeling as well. I also heard that you need good time management when helping neuro patients as some may take longer to assist than others.
Yes, and neuro has a lot of what we call "totals." Meaning they either can't move themselves or are completely unresponsive. So that means going in every 2 hours to turn them in bed, clean them up, help feed them, etc. I do like my job though. It is extremely beneficial patient care experience.