Gap Year Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GMTII1985

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently completing my PGY-1 year, I applied to this years match and matched to a DR position starting July 2018. Thrilled I matched, but now have to figure out what to do this upcoming year.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience/advice about what to do with a gap year? Yes, I would love to take the year off and travel but I'd like to do something clinically related and be able to pay off some of my loans in the process.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Step one: pass step 3

Step two: get your medical license

Step three: do rural locums (urgent care minute clinic stuff if you can find it)/disability exams/ Medicare physicals/whatever you can comfortably that doesn't place you at excessive Med mal risk. Make sure you CYA for anything you do. Obviously minimal risk involved in the HandP stuff.

Probably can make some decent money if you can get enough gigs lined up-alternatively can try and do research or some other academic endeavor-probably won't do much for chipping away at those loans.

Reactions: 1 user
Currently completing my PGY-1 year, I applied to this years match and matched to a DR position starting July 2018. Thrilled I matched, but now have to figure out what to do this upcoming year.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience/advice about what to do with a gap year? Yes, I would love to take the year off and travel but I'd like to do something clinically related and be able to pay off some of my loans in the process.

Thanks!
What above poster said x1000. Do carve out some time for yourself to relax. I have to imagine that it sucked going unmatched your first go around so reward yourself for your most recent accomplishment!