Gap Year After Graduating To Do An MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathomapeds

jbmabr
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m a rising fourth year medical student going into pediatrics. I was planning on taking the upcoming year off to get an MPH at Harvard (9 month program; September to May). However, with everything going on due to COVID-19 it seems like the prospects of getting a traditional in-person experience this fall is unlikely.

Everyone I’ve talked to suggests that delaying the MPH a year and completing it in the fall after I graduate medical school will severely hinder my residency application. I understand why this is the case in a normal world, but with the given circumstances do you think that still applies today?

I want to get the MPH because I’m truly interested in the field and want to learn; I don’t want to do an online half-baked program just to get those three extra letters. So I’m in a tough spot figuring out what to do.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Look at the stats... your odds of matching go down significantly to match the further out from graduation you get. I wouldnt take a gap year between med school and residency.

Hi,

I’m a rising fourth year medical student going into pediatrics. I was planning on taking the upcoming year off to get an MPH at Harvard (9 month program; September to May). However, with everything going on due to COVID-19 it seems like the prospects of getting a traditional in-person experience this fall is unlikely.

Everyone I’ve talked to suggests that delaying the MPH a year and completing it in the fall after I graduate medical school will severely hinder my residency application. I understand why this is the case in a normal world, but with the given circumstances do you think that still applies today?

I want to get the MPH because I’m truly interested in the field and want to learn; I don’t want to do an online half-baked program just to get those three extra letters. So I’m in a tough spot figuring out what to do.

Thanks!

Can you delay graduation at your school? It is better to get the MPH while on a leave from medical school than to graduate first. This would mean you would apply for the match while getting the MPH, and then graduate with both your MD/MPH right before starting residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Thanks!

I wouldn't take the chance. Most residency programs specifically filter by year of graduation-they won't know why you took the year off, you'll be preemptively filtered out.

Reactions: 1 users
Can you delay graduation at your school? It is better to get the MPH while on a leave from medical school than to graduate first. This would mean you would apply for the match while getting the MPH, and then graduate with both your MD/MPH right before starting residency.

It might be possible but challenging. I’ll look into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If not, what are you looking to match into? Many residencies will fund an MPH during residency as part of their career development programs.

Pediatrics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not worth the headache. If you can't take 4th year off to do it then just wait. Your goal is to get into a program. Don't potentially compromise that and make it more difficult for yourself.

Agree with the above, delaying for an MPH is not worth risking your match. I also agree with your intuition that an online MPH is likely going to be less valuable than the in-person version.

You should see if any residencies offer an MPH (some in IM do) and try to pursue that instead.

If you do it, keep your enrolled status at school so you can still apply as a senior medical student.

Getting an MPH (and getting it funded) can also be an option in fellowship. I am not aware of any peds residencies that have this as an option.

I agree with everyone else though, you should just hold off for now and focus on matching

Reactions: 1 user
As others have said, look into taking a leave of absence at your school. Usually you can work something out where you finish all your rotations except one and then finish that after you come from your MPH. Once you've fulfilled all the MD requirements, your school wouldn't let you do that anymore. However, this might make the tuition situation a bit hairy, as every university requires you to be enrolled in a certain number of units to be a student and a single rotation might be too few units. And they'll likely make you pay for the semester since universities are organized around that infrastructure.

I know one person who did an MPH after M4. What she did was that she finished all of her M4 requirements but did not apply for graduation, so she was still a medical student. She took a leave of absence and did her MPH then and graduated a year later. I also took a year off during medical school to do an MPH but between M2 and M3. I think the key is to not graduate and as long as you don't you can do the MPH safely without hurting your chances of matching because you will be applying as a senior.

Are you an IMG, most schools will not reccomend such shenanigans. You either delay graduation , or you go to a residency program that will offer an MPH.