importance of publications from gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

myaccount123

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How are publications/abstracts/general research productivity from gap years considered during residency apps? It seems like the quantity of research items is mattering more and more for applicants into some specialities, especially with Step 1 P/F. I've been working full-time in research for the past few years prior to med school, and so I have my name on a number of abstracts and publications with more pending. Will these be as helpful as research I might get involved with in medical school? Also how do residency programs look at research within a different specialty? Thanks!