Gap Year (applying next app cycle 2015)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTswagger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do they hurt your chances of admittance?

Summary Background: Graduated last May 2014 w/ Bio, cum laude. Fresh yr was Pre-med didnt have passion for it, Soph yr. looked into research joined a research lab for ~7-8 months didn't really like it, Third year looked into Pharmacy shadowed/visited pharmacy --> seemed too over the counter ish and I wanted more interactive career. 4th year took kines activity classes(weight training/tennis) met some kines majors aspiring to be PTs, researched more about the field visited a Sports clinic, and fell deeply interested in the PT field. By then I graduated, studied for GRE--> took it. Now I am starting my volunteering at a hospital and at a outpatient/sports clinic.

Applying in summer 2015.

I'm not gonna post my stats, because I already posted them in the Sticky, it would be redundant. :p

Members don't see this ad.

where do i stand right now, and what else should I be doing besides volunteering/finding a Part-time job?

I would prefer someone besides username "knj27" to answer. lmaoooo

Reactions: 1 user
I graduated this past spring (2014) and chose not to apply last year and am "taking a year off." If anything, my decision to do this only strengthened my application. The main reason was because the site of my senior capstone internship offered me a position for after graduation before the application cycle started. I work as a research associate in the PT department of a major research hospital. I've coauthored several papers and have racked up 100s of obs hours by working as a rehab tech in the department also.

It sounds like you have all your ducks in a row. What else should you be doing? -> Saving money. And also trying to establish close relationships with PTs so you can awesome LORs.

I graduated this past August and just submitted my applications in September. I did roughly the same thing as you. I was Pre-PA before. My family was very excited about it and that kept me going with it even after I knew it wasn't for me from shadowing a PA. I then decided to go ahead and shadow a PT just to see and I loved it! I decided my families opinion didn't matter anymore. The pre-reqs weren't an issue since PA requires the same/if not more science pre-reqs. The only issue I had was the observation hours but I managed to get them.
I think it sounds like you have a good chance and you have plenty of time to strengthen your application. Get as many observation hours as you can and get those PTs to write you a good letter. I would also recommend finishing your app and submitting as early as possible. I think you can submit as early as July 1st. I wish I would've gotten mine in sooner. Your GPA is set unless you want to take more classes and it sounds like you're happy with your GRE so I think you're fine. If I don't get in this round I will be shadowing a lot more and studying to get a higher GRE score.