Gap Year (applying next app cycle 2015)

Started by PTswagger
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PTswagger

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do they hurt your chances of admittance?

Summary Background: Graduated last May 2014 w/ Bio, cum laude. Fresh yr was Pre-med didnt have passion for it, Soph yr. looked into research joined a research lab for ~7-8 months didn't really like it, Third year looked into Pharmacy shadowed/visited pharmacy --> seemed too over the counter ish and I wanted more interactive career. 4th year took kines activity classes(weight training/tennis) met some kines majors aspiring to be PTs, researched more about the field visited a Sports clinic, and fell deeply interested in the PT field. By then I graduated, studied for GRE--> took it. Now I am starting my volunteering at a hospital and at a outpatient/sports clinic.

Applying in summer 2015.

I'm not gonna post my stats, because I already posted them in the Sticky, it would be redundant. 😛
 
where do i stand right now, and what else should I be doing besides volunteering/finding a Part-time job?

I would prefer someone besides username "knj27" to answer. lmaoooo
 
I graduated this past spring (2014) and chose not to apply last year and am "taking a year off." If anything, my decision to do this only strengthened my application. The main reason was because the site of my senior capstone internship offered me a position for after graduation before the application cycle started. I work as a research associate in the PT department of a major research hospital. I've coauthored several papers and have racked up 100s of obs hours by working as a rehab tech in the department also.

It sounds like you have all your ducks in a row. What else should you be doing? -> Saving money. And also trying to establish close relationships with PTs so you can awesome LORs.
 
I graduated this past August and just submitted my applications in September. I did roughly the same thing as you. I was Pre-PA before. My family was very excited about it and that kept me going with it even after I knew it wasn't for me from shadowing a PA. I then decided to go ahead and shadow a PT just to see and I loved it! I decided my families opinion didn't matter anymore. The pre-reqs weren't an issue since PA requires the same/if not more science pre-reqs. The only issue I had was the observation hours but I managed to get them.
I think it sounds like you have a good chance and you have plenty of time to strengthen your application. Get as many observation hours as you can and get those PTs to write you a good letter. I would also recommend finishing your app and submitting as early as possible. I think you can submit as early as July 1st. I wish I would've gotten mine in sooner. Your GPA is set unless you want to take more classes and it sounds like you're happy with your GRE so I think you're fine. If I don't get in this round I will be shadowing a lot more and studying to get a higher GRE score.