Gap year: basic sciences research or medical scribing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mango_steen

Reaction score
I am a senior in college (CA female ORM, 3.78 GPA, 517 MCAT) who is preparing to apply for the 2023-2024 cycle. I currently have 300 clinical volunteering hours spanning from the beginning of freshman year to the middle of junior year, and I’m wondering if this is enough for applications. I just started doing part-time basic sciences (Alzheimer's) research in a lab at my top choice med school about 3 months ago and I have only about 250 hours of research total. My PI in this lab is also an associate professor at the med school, and I feel like staying in his lab could help give me an advantage toward getting into the school.

I am currently planning on doing a summer research internship here, then working full-time as a scribe during my gap year. I have been told that doing basic sciences research for a gap year < clinical employment, but I don't know how true that is. My PI told me that there is a high chance that I will be published by this fall/winter on the paper for the project I'm working on, and I don't want to leave the lab before seeing that through. What should I choose in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be possible to stay with the lab part time and do 3x12s or something as a scribe?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be possible to stay with the lab part time and do 3x12s or something as a scribe?
There wouldn't be room for me in the lab in only a part-time role. I originally wanted to do this, so talked to my PI and he seemed apologetic, but there's nothing to be done.

does this suggest that staying in this lab wouldn't be considered a "strong tie?"
Admissions processes for medical school are designed to be immune from as much inappropriate influence or conflict of interest as possible. Being in a lab is not a strong tie, in spite of what many consultants say. Otherwise many would advise students to do lab work in a medical school where they want to attend, and it just doesn't work that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
... I currently have 300 clinical volunteering hours spanning from the beginning of freshman year to the middle of junior year, and I’m wondering if this is enough for applications.
Yes.

I just started doing part-time basic sciences (Alzheimer's) research in a lab at my top choice med school about 3 months ago and I have only about 250 hours of research total. My PI in this lab is also an associate professor at the med school, and I feel like staying in his lab could help give me an advantage toward getting into the school.

Maybe, but 250 hours is already a decent/great amount of hours for application to most schools. There are some ~200 med schools, focus on your broader application.

I am currently planning on doing a summer research internship here, then working full-time as a scribe during my gap year. I have been told that doing basic sciences research for a gap year < clinical employment, but I don't know how true that is.

It's true for most schools since most schools are not t20 and research focused.

My PI told me that there is a high chance that I will be published by this fall/winter on the paper for the project I'm working on, and I don't want to leave the lab before seeing that through. What should I choose in this situation?

Having a pub will likely help your overall chances at a t20 school, but more service oriented schools it may not be as big of a sway. Since there are many more non-t20 schools than t20 schools, I would focus more on doing what seems most meaningful to you since you seem to already have a well-rounded application.

I don't think this is a "do or die" situation with this one professor, and ultimately there are no guarantees. And if your goal is to be a doctor, then t20 or not shouldn't matter much.

Reactions: 1 user
There wouldn't be room for me in the lab in only a part-time role. I originally wanted to do this, so talked to my PI and he seemed apologetic, but there's nothing to be done.
They were saying to work full time in the lab and then do part or full time work at the hospital.

A lot of clinical jobs are very flexible with their hours. And 3x12s are very common, meaning you work your normal lab job 8-5 M-F and then work in the clinic 7p-7a over the weekends. Or some variation, or do pt clinical. once you get in the system it's much easier to reduce hours.

Yes.

Maybe, but 250 hours is already a decent/great amount of hours for application to most schools. There are some ~200 med schools, focus on your broader application.

It's true for most schools since most schools are not t20 and research focused.

Having a pub will likely help your overall chances at a t20 school, but more service oriented schools it may not be as big of a sway. Since there are many more non-t20 schools than t20 schools, I would focus more on doing what seems most meaningful to you since you seem to already have a well-rounded application.

I don't think this is a "do or die" situation with this one professor, and ultimately there are no guarantees. And if your goal is to be a doctor, then t20 or not shouldn't matter much.
Thanks for the insight. I think with all these factors in mind, it would be best for me to transition to full-time scribing after my internship.

One thing to note is that since you’re applying this cycle you likely won’t have many stories ready from that experience before submitting your application. So as you go through scribing, write down any significant encounters you can maybe use as anecdotes in your interviews.

I think you have plenty of clinical experience, and whatever you pick is unlikely to impact your chances at admission during this cycle. So I think you have the luxury of choosing the activity that you are personally more interested in and/or that pays better.

FWIW, one consideration for the basic science lab is that any pubs you get this year will help you with future residency applications.

Reactions: 1 users