Gap year before optometry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blowfishrule

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am currently a sophomore in undergrad and have been wondering if taking a gap year after graduating is a good idea. The reason I’m asking is because in the next two years of undergrad I plan on taking upper level biology classes as well as o chem 1,2, and biochem. I know most people plan on studying for the OAT during the summer after junior year but I already plan on taking two classes during that time. Basically the issue is I feel like with all the upper level classes I take I won’t have much time to focus on studying for the OAT. If I take a gap year after graduating I plan on studying for the OAT and applying for optometry school while volunteering and gaining experience as well. I’ve spent every summer after graduating hs taking classes so I feel like it would give be a good time to relax as well as build my resume. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I did a gap year right after graduation, studied for the OAT and worked on my personal statement/supplementals all summer. Submitted my application 9/29 (try to do it as early as possible, rolling admissions favor early applications) and took my OAT on 10/25 (maybe a little later than I should have). Applied to 8 schools, got 8 interviews (6 acceptances, 1 waitlist) and LET ME TELL YOU scheduling those interview while taking classes sounds horrible, because it was hard enough doing it around my work schedule.

Plus, padding your resumé with work experience is always good, especially if it is heath/opto related. It won't really be relaxing studying for the OAT and writing personal statements, but it sure beats being in class and studying for those; plus, its cool and motivating to finally start the process of applying.

Reactions: 1 users
Go for it. As long as you have a plan on what you'll be doing in the gap year, it never hurts. The students I talked to on a couple of interviews said they preferred it, and some wished they did. The issue arises when you do nothing during the gap year other than study for OAT and have no opto or work experience to show for. Then might raise some eyebrows. But that won't be your case.

I graduated in 2015 and technically took 3 gap years. I'll be entering this fall. I worked as an apprentice optician and cl tech for 2 years during undergrad. Then after I graduated I did volunteer work abroad, and continued working for an optometrist for another year. In 2016 I was hired into my current job where I managed to become politically involved in the optometry world. A lot of people might think what the heck 3 gap years but I don't regret it one bit. The adcoms and students all mentioned the experience will help give a huge advantage for my future. I learned so much and feel that much more prepared and comfortable for entering school.

Just keep in mind that for every gap year you take is essentially like taking an additional year of doctor salary off your life. Because of this if you're going to have a lot of loans like the majority of us then I wouldn't really recommend taking more than 1 gap year unless you have a really strong opportunity in line. I would try to save up an emergency fund as well during your gap year.

Also, great job planning ahead and best of luck! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it can be a good idea. It's nice to get real-world experience before starting school - not just shadowing, but actually being in an optometric practice every day.

I agree it can be difficult to schedule interviews around work schedules, but for the most part employers are understanding of taking a few days off during the year for school interviews (depending on where you end up working).

Everyone's different, but if this seems like the appropriate route for you I would do it. As others said, don't just study and apply though - get experience!

I am just finishing up my gap year and entering this fall. I did not regret it one bit. I got a job at an optometry practice, took my OAT, and finished up a prerequisite class that was not offered at my university. Not having a full load of classes allowed me to study harder for the OAT than I would have been able to in undergrad and working allowed me to gain more real world experience in the field which really came in handy for the interview! Working also gave me a head start on paying back student loans and saving for school. I took the time to schedule more shadowing experiences before I started my job. I also have taken classes every summer since high school and it was a much needed break. I feel like I am entering school more capable and ready to learn. (I must admit, at times it felt as if time was going by slowly and I just wanted to start school already, something to keep in mind.)

Good luck and hope this helps!

Reactions: 4 users
^ The above poster pretty much summed it up. I think one of the best things one can do during their gap year is work and save for optometry school, that would come in handy a lot. You're getting both real world experience and earning to make your life easier through school. You also get a good mental break from undergrad.

Reactions: 2 users
I am just finishing up my gap year and entering this fall. I did not regret it one bit. I got a job at an optometry practice, took my OAT, and finished up a prerequisite class that was not offered at my university. Not having a full load of classes allowed me to study harder for the OAT than I would have been able to in undergrad and working allowed me to gain more real world experience in the field which really came in handy for the interview! Working also gave me a head start on paying back student loans and saving for school. I took the time to schedule more shadowing experiences before I started my job. I also have taken classes every summer since high school and it was a much needed break. I feel like I am entering school more capable and ready to learn. (I must admit, at times it felt as if time was going by slowly and I just wanted to start school already, something to keep in mind.)

Good luck and hope this helps!

hey! i am just wondering when did you apply for optometry school? I am starting my senior year and I wanted some guidance on my next steps.
Thank you

I am currently in my gap year and I will be starting optometry school in a few months! I really recommend it; in fact, I heard admissions say they appreciate students who do a gap year because that shows their committment even more for this profession. The time off gave me the chance to really hone in on my OAT! Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
I took almost 3 years off before starting Optometry school. Best thing I could have done for myself. Came in fresh, excited, and ready to go. Take some time to make sure this is what you really want to do! :) Goodluck!

hey! i am just wondering when did you apply for optometry school? I am starting my senior year and I wanted some guidance on my next steps.
Thank you
I applied fall of my gap year (the fall after i graduated from college), i probably should have started a bit earlier in hindsight though, maybe july?

I did a gap year right after graduation, studied for the OAT and worked on my personal statement/supplementals all summer. Submitted my application 9/29 (try to do it as early as possible, rolling admissions favor early applications) and took my OAT on 10/25 (maybe a little later than I should have). Applied to 8 schools, got 8 interviews (6 acceptances, 1 waitlist) and LET ME TELL YOU scheduling those interview while taking classes sounds horrible, because it was hard enough doing it around my work schedule.

Plus, padding your resumé with work experience is always good, especially if it is heath/opto related. It won't really be relaxing studying for the OAT and writing personal statements, but it sure beats being in class and studying for those; plus, its cool and motivating to finally start the process of applying.

do you mind sharing your stats? OAT and GPA?

Hi there, I am studying right now for my OAT. I have just finished my undergrad and have a 3.9 GPA, great volunteer (coached soccer for six plus years, nursing home, student mentoring, heart and stroke foundation, cancer society etc). I am just nervous about my OAT and how competitive it is. I have done one practice test and did not do too well. Going to do more this week but really struggled in the orgo and physics section.. any advice here?
Also I am from Canada and Waterloo is thus the ultimate goal, any info about how competitive it is? If my high gpa will out weigh a lower OAT score?
Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi there, I am studying right now for my OAT. I have just finished my undergrad and have a 3.9 GPA, great volunteer (coached soccer for six plus years, nursing home, student mentoring, heart and stroke foundation, cancer society etc). I am just nervous about my OAT and how competitive it is. I have done one practice test and did not do too well. Going to do more this week but really struggled in the orgo and physics section.. any advice here?
Also I am from Canada and Waterloo is thus the ultimate goal, any info about how competitive it is? If my high gpa will out weigh a lower OAT score?
Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

I had a 3.2 GPA, but got a 340 TS and 350 AA on the OAT. I'm historically bad at standardized tests so I was shocked I did well on the OAT, (87th or 89th percentile, don't remember).
I used the kaplan material to do the majority of my studying and used the two full length online tests to gauge progress. The first one I took with no time limit before I did any studying, just to see where I was. I took my second test the day before my OAT, with the proper timing so I could get used to how much time I needed for each section/question. In my experience (and a friend's from taking the DAT) the kaplan material was much more in depth than the test was, so I found myself getting 70-75th percentile on the kaplan tests but the questions were easier (IMHO) on the real test day. I also had a small princeton review book which had a TON of practice problems online which helped a lot

do you mind sharing your stats? OAT and GPA?

BS in Human Physiology, minor in chemisty
3.2 GPA, undergrad TA for anatomy cadaver lab and exercise physiology lecture,
on campus job as tutor, 2 years as a member of the club rowing (crew) team
340 TS, 350 AA on OAT

Reactions: 1 user

Hey, I was wondering if you applie to Waterloo and got accepted there?