"GAP" year between application and acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DBC03

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished the bare minimum, absolutely necessary pre-reqs that will satisfy the requirements for most, if not all, medical schools in the US and help with the MCAT. I was able to skip a lot of pre-reqs due to AP credit. I still need to take an additional English class as I took one in college and have two semesters of AP Credit, but some schools still require two semesters on campus. I am signed up for an upper level class this summer. I also just finished the MCAT and will not plan a retake (that's not to say it would never happen, but I'm not currently planning on it).

I am nearly done with my AMCAS application and will send it in as close to June 1st as possible, depending on how long it takes to edit my essays.

Right now I am considering my "gap" year so to speak. While it is not necessarily the technical definition of a gap year, I am looking at at least one year before I, God willing, start medical school. And I would like to use that year as wisely as possible. My primary goal is to continue research and my secondary goal is to start making some money again. Two additional possibilities include more clinical experience - paid or unpaid, and more course work. My GPA is decidedly low (3.43), with an upward trend. My MCAT is more than sufficient. So if I do not get any interviews or acceptances this year, it will likely be due to my GPA.

That said, I don't really want to take any more classes, mainly because classes cost money and I am already over budget with my applications this year. I've already listed half our furniture for sale just to make up for it.

A professor approached me this week with a possible research project. It will be very flexible, allow me to work on the side, and will be sent for publication - possibly two publications - when we are done. One is a short-term project (a few months) and the other is a longer-term project that we can complete before I start medical school. I can't think of any reason not to accept this offer, so I am leaning toward this as my research project for the year instead of looking for a paid research position at the local cancer center. Can anyone give me a reason why I should consider applying for a paid undergraduate research position at a cancer center over this possibility? I figure the paid positions do not pay well and I will likely be washing test tubes or doing some other menial work. This project would give me direct control of the research. I would like to hear any thoughts you all have on this.

As far as work goes, I might be tutoring. I have also considered applying for a part time scribe position at one of the local hospitals- maybe one or two 12-hour shifts per week, which would give me more time for research and possibly course work. I also have a cousin who works with many doctors in the area and could possibly hook me up with a part time gig. Or, again, I could apply for a paid undergraduate position as a researcher and theoretically kill two birds with one stone. I would love to hear any advice on this as well.

Then there's the possibility of signing up for more classes. I have so many undergraduate credit hours at this point that taking 30 hours or more and getting straight A+s will only result in an increase of 0.1 in my GPA. Of course, a 3.5 looks better than a 3.4, but there is a LARGE gap between my undergraduate years and my current post-bac work that it might still be a bit of a boost. That said, are there classes that you recommend because they would both be helpful for medical school AND help my GPA as well (such as advanced biology or chemistry classes that would give me a leg up on next year)? Is there an advantage of taking more classes? Are there disadvantages to signing up for more classes aside from the expense and time?

Thank you for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.