Is it bad to take a gap year after a post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member2223

Pondering non-trad...
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I started my DIY post-bacc during the Summer '22, and completed all of the pre-reqs (except biochemistry) from then until Summer '23 (1yr total).

Since the end of this Summer, I've spent 3 months of full-time MCAT studying and I am scheduled to take it in January. I am performing fine (507 average FL) but B/B section is consistently a weakness of mine, especially in the experiment/research based sections. It is like learning a new language with a lot of the technicalities; while I know the theory (I had to self-teach myself Biochem), without real life practice it's difficult to make the connections oftentimes when presented with a technical experiment question.

Coming from a non-science background with a sub-par undergrad GPA (3.0 upward trend), I planned to really hone in on the theme of reinvention. I've done well so far in my post-bacc (4.0 over 40 credits), but MCAT is a very important metric to fit my narrative and hopefully put to rest any doubts about academic capability.

I'm entertaining the idea of delaying my application cycle by 1 year. I would then use the remainder of the year to catch up on clinical hours (I have 400 so far), perform research (I was recently accepted into a Summer program), and really hone in on the MCAT. Having studied for 3 months, I now know the reality of this exam and where to really focus on.

This upcoming Spring semester I plan to finish my biochem pre-req but also take some upper division courses in genetics, cell & molecular biology, and molecular bio lab in order to gain formal experience in the subject matter. I believe this may help me have a stronger background in my weak area, and the extra 12 credits will also provide an opportunity for my cGPA to rise to a 3.4.

Would it look disadvantageous to my application to take a "gap year" after my post-bacc? Perhaps ADCOMS may think that having everything spread out over 3 years from start to finish might be not as rigorous as those who did a 1 year post-bacc and applied straight after?

I'd appreciate any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are you aiming for, DO or MD? 507 could be an issue for MD. All the classes you are taking next Spring will help you in B/B, especially biochem. I don't think you necessarily need to postpone a year. You could theoretically take the MCAT in May or June, submit your primary without a score, and get verified in time for the 24-25 cycle. But your Spring will be very very busy.

You could also take the entire summer to study, then apply in 25-26. That would allow you to do research and focus solely on your app, but at the cost of a year of attending salary. If the extra time will significantly improve your app, you should do it. Reapplying is pain.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What are you aiming for, DO or MD? 507 could be an issue for MD. All the classes you are taking next Spring will help you in B/B, especially biochem. I don't think you necessarily need to postpone a year. You could theoretically take the MCAT in May or June, submit your primary without a score, and get verified in time for the 24-25 cycle. But your Spring will be very very busy.

You could also take the entire summer to study, then apply in 25-26. That would allow you to do research and focus solely on your app, but at the cost of a year of attending salary. If the extra time will significantly improve your app, you should do it. Reapplying is pain.
Hi, thank you for your insight. My #1 choice is my in-state MD program because the tuition is significantly cheaper, I resonate strongly with their program mission, and heavily value my family and community here. If it means sacrificing an extra year to maximize the chances of an acceptance in-state, I am absolutely ok with that. However I do plan to apply both MD and DO once the time comes, especially given that I'm a non-trad.

You make a good point on the part of reapplying as I've also heard of the importance of applying with your strongest foot forward. I'm thinking that taking the MCAT later will also buy me another application cycle before it expires.

Reactions: 1 user