gap year for dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dadasolee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can predental students "take a year off" as the premed students sometimes choose to do? Do dental schools encourage or discourage students from considering a gap-year?

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to take a year off. I am actually applying senior year so that I can have that time inbetween to rest, volunteer and save some money. I think it should be fine. I am sure they will understand if your grades are up to par with what they accept. I don't think I could go straight into dental school right after 4 yrs of undergrad because my brain would be fried and tired. I think the year of rest will really help me.

As long as the year off is productive, it is not a problem. There are many students who get into each class who have taken at least one year off or were not picked up the year they graduated and had to reapply after a year off. So, you should be fine as long as you don't sit on a beach and sip on mai tais asll year lon.

daiquiris are the way to go :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied my senior year of college when I graduated in May 2006. Ive basically spent this year off interviewing at several schools, working, saving money, and having as much fun as possible before dental school at NYU in August 2007.

This year off was such as relief and breather from undergrad. I actually feel refreshed and ready to go back to school and study hard. Taking some time off and relaxing and enjoying yourself before another 4 years of very challenging dental school is a good idea in my opinion.

So, help me understand... They way I have been looking at it, everyone has a gap year (no?) If I apply June of the year I have completed my prereqs, and assuming I am accepted, I would not start until Julyish of the following year.

Or, are you all applying way early before all prereqs are done? If so, I didn't think that schools would accept that.

Am I off??

of course!!

how else are you able to get experience? working during school? sometimes that works in your favor and other times it brings down the quality of your study time, unless you are paid to study (which those librarian asst jobs do).

i worked for an OMFS, and 2 GP's during my gap year.

I highly recommend doing a gap year, and no, adcoms don't frown on them at all. Not only is dental school different and more challenging and time consuming than undergrad, but once you're out you'll be practicing and finding time to get away will be much more difficult. Go backpack across Europe, do a few roadtrips, work in something you find interesting and not what you think an adcom would "want to see" (i.e. bent over a test-tube, dental assisting, etc.). Soak in some fun and get as many kinks and wild oats out of your system before jumping back into the fire. You'll be the better for it, trust me.;)

of course!!

how else are you able to get experience? working during school? sometimes that works in your favor and other times it brings down the quality of your study time, unless you are paid to study (which those librarian asst jobs do).

i worked for an OMFS, and 2 GP's during my gap year.

Hey! just out of curiosty? What does OMFS and GP stand for??

OMFS- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
GP- General Practitioner

I am only going to get about half a year off, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm going to be so burnt out from undergrad that I don't think i'd make it if I didn't take time off. I'll know what schools I got accepted to by then, so you better believe I will be sipping on some mojito's, lol.

Not everyone gets a gap year. Some people can afford Nordstroms.

Okay, I jest.

Most people apply their Junior year. For those that are new in this thread, lets say you apply at the end of your Junior Year in May 2007. You won't be accepted until Dec 2007-April 2008 and won't start until June-Sept of 2008.

So you have a year to finish your senior requirements to graduate. If you get accepted and the school tells you you don't have to finish your degree, then you can take a year off.

If you apply at the end of your senior year then you have a year to hang out and do what you want.

My friend applied saying he would get his degree. When he was accepted he called the school and asked them: I can either finish my degree or go on a trip to Latin America (Guatemala or Venezuala or something) and do dental work - operation smile or something. They told him to forget his degree and go help those people out. He had a great summer.

So has anyone taken off more than a year? My problem is that some personal problems are getting in my way of applying right now and I was thinking of applying next june. I just graduated.
What should I do in my time off? Do dental schools frown upon this?

So has anyone taken off more than a year? My problem is that some personal problems are getting in my way of applying right now and I was thinking of applying next june. I just graduated.
What should I do in my time off? Do dental schools frown upon this?

If you are going to potentially have 2 years off, I suggest becoming a RDA, registered dental assistant, and gain experience in a dental office. I have a year off and the dentist I am shadowing advised me to assist and learn as much as I can now, so that when I'm in (hopefully) dental school I won't have to work as hard to learn some of the basics.

I was supossed to take my DAT on wensday, but I didn't feel fully prepared so I actually cancelled it. Although Im graduating in December, Im taking Orgo 2 at a local college near my house, this also gives me extra time to study/strengthen my transcript. Just make good use of the time you have.

Can predental students "take a year off" as the premed students sometimes choose to do? Do dental schools encourage or discourage students from considering a gap-year?

Yes they can. I'm in the midst of my gap year. Sure, I would love to go to dental school now, but I just didn't have the grades to be competitive my junior year. Life throws curve balls at us, and we gotta make the most of it. I'm having a great time and look forward to d-school (hopefully). To each to his own, and in the end, we will all become dentists with persistence and hard work. Whether you want to go down that road is up to you, but as far as I know, adcoms aren't frowning from it. I have already 3 interviews lined up. Gl!:thumbup: