This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alese10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I am about to graduate from college and have already submitted my AMCAS. I am a competitive applicant for medical school (3.96 GPA, 514 MCAT with lots of research and shadowing), so I don't NEED an amazing gap year to boost my application. I am currently looking for jobs in the medical field and have two standing offers.

My first offer is at a sports medicine clinic as a scribe/medical assistant, though I have only been hired as an unpaid intern during a training period, and then they will decide if they want to hire me full time or not. I shadowed briefly in this office during my interview, and have to say that I don't think it is the healthiest work environment. It seems extremely high stress, though I know I will learn a lot. I am afraid I am going to be so tired by the end of the day that filling out secondaries will be extremely difficult.

My second offer is in a private physical therapy clinic. I have experience working in a physical therapy clinic, so I am not sure how much more I will learn. I will not be working under an MD like I will in the sports medicine clinic, but I will have direct patient interactions. This job has been pretty much guaranteed to me, so it is a sure thing. This will be much lower stress, which will help my overall mental well being.

I'm having trouble finding more jobs working under an MD because I don't have any actual certifications beyond my bachelors. My other option is to just get EMT certified and then look for a job once I have that credential.

I want to enjoy my last year at least a little before embarking on my medical journey. What I am really concerned with is will it look bad to not be working under an MD during my gap year? I would rather take the physical therapy office, but it might look better during secondaries/interviews to be working under an MD. Thoughts?

TLDR: I have two job offers for my gap year- a high stress medical assistant job (which I may or may not get hired for) or a lower stress physical therapy assistant job. Which do I take? Or should I keep looking for jobs/maybe get EMT certified?

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there!

I am about to graduate from college and have already submitted my AMCAS. I am a competitive applicant for medical school (3.96 GPA, 514 MCAT with lots of research and shadowing), so I don't NEED an amazing gap year to boost my application. I am currently looking for jobs in the medical field and have two standing offers.

My first offer is at a sports medicine clinic as a scribe/medical assistant, though I have only been hired as an unpaid intern during a training period, and then they will decide if they want to hire me full time or not. I shadowed briefly in this office during my interview, and have to say that I don't think it is the healthiest work environment. It seems extremely high stress, though I know I will earn a lot. I am afraid I am going to be so tired by the end of the day that filling out secondaries will be extremely difficult.

My second offer is in a private physical therapy clinic. I have experience working in a physical therapy clinic, so I am not sure how much I will learn. I will not be working under an MD like I will in the sports medicine clinic, but I will have direct patient interactions. This job has been pretty much guaranteed to me, so it is a sure thing. This will be much lower stress, which will help my overall mental well being.

I'm having trouble finding more jobs working under an MD because I don't have any actual certifications beyond my bachelors. My other option is to just get EMT certified and then look for a job once I have a credential.

I want to enjoy my last year at least a little before embarking on my medical journey. What I am really concerned with is will it look bad to not be working under an MD during my gap year? I would rather take the physical therapy office, but it might look better during secondaries/interviews to be working under an MD. Thoughts?

tldr: I have two job offers for my gap year- a high stress medical assistant job or a lower stress physical therapy assistant job. Which do I take? Or should I keep looking for jobs/maybe get EMT certified?

Thank you!!!

I can't give advice on what will look better, but as someone who has been working for 15 years since college (and now applying to med school), I will say that I would choose a healthy work environment over the other if it was a long-term choice. This goes for all of the decisions you will be making in the next few years. That may not be the best solution for this one year, but it is more of something you should consider in the long term.

Im also wondering this....what is considered 'good' for a gap year vs 'bad' @Goro @gyngyn ?
Ie. is working as an Intern at Google or getting a masters degree (ie. MPH or MBA) considered bad, since they are not medically-related?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't give advice on what will look better, but as someone who has been working for 15 years since college (and now applying to med school), I will say that I would choose a healthy work environment over the other if it was a long-term choice. This goes for all of the decisions you will be making in the next few years. That may not be the best solution for this one year, but it is more of something you should consider in the long term.

I completely agree with that. But my thought is that I can stick anything out for one year. Plus I can quit and have a little fun once I commit to medical school! hahaha

Im also wondering this....what is considered 'good' for a gap year vs 'bad' @Goro @gyngyn ?
Ie. is working as an Intern at Google or getting a masters degree (ie. MPH or MBA) considered bad, since they are not medically-related?
Are you already applying or waiting another year to apply?

I completely agree with that. But my thought is that I can stick anything out for one year. Plus I can quit and have a little fun once I commit to medical school! hahaha

Yep. That's why it's a tough decision, right? I think you are approaching it wisely. I am interested to see what advice the not necessarily older, but definitely more experienced members have to say.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there!

My first offer is at a sports medicine clinic as a scribe/medical assistant, though I have only been hired as an unpaid intern during a training period, and then they will decide if they want to hire me full time or not. I shadowed briefly in this office during my interview, and have to say that I don't think it is the healthiest work environment. It seems extremely high stress, though I know I will learn a lot. I am afraid I am going to be so tired by the end of the day that filling out secondaries will be extremely difficult.

My second offer is in a private physical therapy clinic. I have experience working in a physical therapy clinic, so I am not sure how much more I will learn. I will not be working under an MD like I will in the sports medicine clinic, but I will have direct patient interactions. This job has been pretty much guaranteed to me, so it is a sure thing. This will be much lower stress, which will help my overall mental well being.

I'm having trouble finding more jobs working under an MD because I don't have any actual certifications beyond my bachelors. My other option is to just get EMT certified and then look for a job once I have that credential.

TLDR: I have two job offers for my gap year- a high stress medical assistant job (which I may or may not get hired for) or a lower stress physical therapy assistant job. Which do I take? Or should I keep looking for jobs/maybe get EMT certified?

Thank you!!!
OP - take the low stress pt job. Not working with MD's won't harm or help you. your stats and ECs make you a very sought after applicant for medical schools, congratulations.

Take the time to work some sensible hours, gain some experience, and relax. Most of my gap year buddies that got admitted actually quit or dramatically reduced their hours after their acceptance to travel, play video games, or cross stuff off of their bucket lists :thumbup:.

You'll be under enough stress once medical school starts; take the lower-stress job.

You can stick anything out for a year, but you'll be sticking it out for medical school and at least the first half of residence. I'd go low stress. Your gap year isn't a vacation, but you should go into medical school refreshed and destressed.

Does it really matter what you do in your gap year as long as you are working? @AttemptingScholar @FutureSurgical @Dr. Stalker

The long and short of it is you need to not waste your time. What gets you to your goals? If you're concerned about money, a paying job. If your resume is lower on clinical work, that. If it's lower on volunteering, that. If it's lower on research, that.

Do something that will make you a better student and something that you'll enjoy. By the sounds of it, you seem to be leaning toward the second job.

Also, your gap year does not necessarily need to be devoted entirely to something medically related. You also don't need to work under an MD. Sometimes entirely non-medical experiences will have the greatest impact on you as a student/future physician. Something to think about. Just my 2c good luck friend.

You should be doing something to improve your app during the time. It's OK to earn money with a non-medical job, but show your dedication in some area...either service to others or patient contact.

You should be doing something to improve your app during the time. It's OK to earn money with a non-medical job, but show your dedication in some area...either service to others or patient contact.
What's your opinion on working in a PT office vs a sports medicine clinic?