Gap year/job help (& general life advice)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PKFlash

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm in a bit of a tough situation and really need advice (not sure if I'm posting this in the right place so let me know if I'm not)

I am currently waitlisted at ICOM and interviewing at LECOM E. on 4/12. Please see my stats below if you're curious. I plan on applying to 36 schools next cycle. My fiancé is about to graduate from nursing school and is looking to get a job somewhere out of the Midwest (where we both live currently). If she got a job, she would have to accept it while I'm still waitlisted. However, since I'm waitlisted in Idaho, we aren't sure if we should move anywhere before August 4 (the day before they start classes) because we would have to move AGAIN if I got moved off the waitlist. To try to get myself off the waitlist, I have written a letter of intent but have not sent it yet because I only interviewed there on 3/25.
We want to move somewhere soon, but don't know if we should do that while I'm waitlisted somewhere, and we don't want to just up and move to Idaho because there's a chance I won't get moved off the waitlist either.

So say we move somewhere and I don't get into either ICOM or LECOM. What should I do during my gap year?

MCAT 502
cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.5
1200 hours of scribing in emergency department.
85 hours of volunteering at a primary care clinic (140 hours by the end of the semester)
60 hours of shadowing at hospitals in Lisbon, Portugal.
Currently doing undergraduate research on 3 types of marine corals.
Illinois resident.

I hope that all makes sense?

TL;DR -- Waitlisted at a school. Future wife looking for nursing job that she would have to accept before I truly knew if I would get into the school. Also need suggestions on gap year jobs.

Members don't see this ad.

At least ICOM has big movement. I interviewed same day as you and fortunately got an acceptance and will be turning it down.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
With your stats you should have gotten more DO love depending on when you applied and to how many schools, but regardless to answer your question:

If possible would look into jobs that can get you experience with clinical research while working with physicians. I know that this isn't exactly easy but getting your name on a paper could put you over the hump.

GPA is fine, but you are in that weird grey area for DO school MCAT. Your score is good enough to get in, but not good enough to make you stand out in any way. I am not an admissions person, but IMO you should not think about retaking the MCAT unless you really want to get into an MD school or unless one of your subscores is pretty bad (<123). The possibility of doing worse or even the same on a second attempt when you have a score that can get you in is way too much risk vs. benefit of doing better. You don't need a post bacc or SMP. You just need to really focus on getting as much healthcare experience as possible, nailing your essays/PS, and applying early!

The timing of things is very weird for you with your wife as well. If she took a job in Boise, ID and you got off of ICOM's waitlist, then all will be wonderful, but there are no guarantees in medicine. Honestly a pretty tough spot and I am going through something pretty similar. Luckily my girlfriend's new job is only a two-ish hour drive away from where I'm going to school, but we will be spending a year or two apart until she is capable of relocating again. IMO a year or two away is worth pursuing your dreams and you'll be able to make it work if she really is your future wife to be.

Good luck to you, and if you need anyone in a similar spot to talk to feel free to PM me!

Reactions: 1 users
With your stats you should have gotten more DO love depending on when you applied and to how many schools, but regardless to answer your question:

If possible would look into jobs that can get you experience with clinical research while working with physicians. I know that this isn't exactly easy but getting your name on a paper could put you over the hump.

GPA is fine, but you are in that weird grey area for DO school MCAT. Your score is good enough to get in, but not good enough to make you stand out in any way. I am not an admissions person, but IMO you should not think about retaking the MCAT unless you really want to get into an MD school or unless one of your subscores is pretty bad (PS, and applying early!

The timing of things is very weird for you with your wife as well. If she took a job in Boise, ID and you got off of ICOM's waitlist, then all will be wonderful, but there are no guarantees in medicine. Honestly a pretty tough spot and I am going through something pretty similar. Luckily my girlfriend's new job is only a two-ish hour drive away from where I'm going to school, but we will be spending a year or two apart until she is capable of relocating again. IMO a year or two away is worth pursuing your dreams and you'll be able to make it work if she really is your future wife to be.

Good luck to you, and if you need anyone in a similar spot to talk to feel free to PM me!

Looking into neurodiagnostic technician jobs for the summer. And yeah I don't really stand out but I have lots of experience as a scribe. Timing is super weird. Thanks for your advice :)

I honestly feel that if you re-apply early when the cycle opens up you should be just fine with DO schools (If you don’t receive an acceptance this cycle). I would maybe try to work in a healthcare field, but it wouldn’t be absolutely necessary considering your resume as it stands.

I honestly feel that if you re-apply early when the cycle opens up you should be just fine with DO schools (If you don’t receive an acceptance this cycle). I would maybe try to work in a healthcare field, but it wouldn’t be absolutely necessary considering your resume as it stands.

Thanks man!! Do you think I should re-apply to the same schools immediately or wait until I've done something over summer for the schools that are seeing me for the second time?

I would apply more broadly if you didn’t cast a big net the last time just in case, but I really think the timing alone will help a lot. Yes the schools you will be re-applying will want to know what you have been doing since the last application cycle. So if you pick up that job or begin another volunteering venture, shadowing, etc be sure to mention all that.

Biochemistry! I graduate with the degree next month
Tough... job market is not great. I are you going to apply again? It is not a great major for entry level jobs... was similar position and went back for Engineer major and am almost done now and have job lined up.

Tough... job market is not great. I are you going to apply again? It is not a great major for entry level jobs... was similar position and went back for Engineer major and am almost done now and have job lined up.

I'm applying another round yeah. It is tough to find entry level jobs.

I'm applying another round yeah. It is tough to find entry level jobs.
That was my experience... good luck hope you get in next time if this one doesn't work.