Gap Year Job Ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status Sciaticus

Anesthesiology and Interventional Pain Medicine
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any jobs that one can get with a biology degree that pays 15-20/hour?

I am in my gap year right now and so far I have applied as:

an MCAT tutor (15/hour)
Certified personal trainer (20/hour at best)
Lab Assistant (12-15/hour)

Anyone know of other opportunities?
I honestly just need a job that pays decent.

Members don't see this ad.

Medical scribe perhaps. I don't know if it pays well though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Too low. Most club staff at gyms are paid 10 and don't need to be trained.

Kinda sucks for all the scribes that are paid this low :/

It's not the best job if you have bills to pay, but the experience is good. And hey sometimes you don't have any patients for the first 1.5 hours of your shift and have plenty of SDN time.

Hey Gandalf, I applied for a scribe job with PhysAssist, and they told me that you start at minimum wage with a certain % raise every 3 months. So after a year you're making $13/hour, which is more than I make at my research assistant job. Still, I decided against it because I probably can't afford to make minimum wage during interview season.
I'd also like to know how people make money with a bio degree. The personal trainer thing would be awesome, I'd kill for a $20/hour job.

Look at job listings for your state and city depts of health.

Hey Gandalf, I applied for a scribe job with PhysAssist, and they told me that you start at minimum wage with a certain % raise every 3 months. So after a year you're making $13/hour, which is more than I make at my research assistant job. Still, I decided against it because I probably can't afford to make minimum wage during interview season.
I'd also like to know how people make money with a bio degree. The personal trainer thing would be awesome, I'd kill for a $20/hour job.

The scribe thing is good experience, but if I am only doing it for a year, i wont be getting the 13/hour ever.
Thats precisely why I made this thread. So people in gap years can have a decent idea of possible jobs they can look at while they wait.

really only 15 for mcat tutor?
should be at least 20

I just went with the lowest number to not be dissapointed. I think TPR does 21/hour with 9/hour for each hour of prep time.

If you wanna go the tutoring route, you can try SAT and ACT tutoring too. It pays slightly less but you should pass the qualifying exam without study if you are smart enough to do well on the MCAT.

I am looking into substitute teaching currently. It is not a steady job, but it might be able to supplement income a bit, and it has decent pay. Also it is super duper flexible, so less worries during interview season. The requirements vary from state to state, but many states all you need is a college degree.
You might look into it if you want a "second" job.

Members don't see this ad :)
I substitute teach in the DFW area. Easy to apply (only needed X credit hours of college so my wife subs too even without a degree), pays about $80 a day for maybe 5 hours of real "work" and it's very flexible (you can work every day if you choose or work when you want). Weekends off guaranteed so you can find a weekend job too.

Relative of mine has a bio degree and works in a food safety lab in DFW so that's also a possibility. Actually all of the bio majors I know work in some kind of commercial lab.

If you're not trying to impress ADCOMs, find service work. You can get paid more money working way few hours. Even if you're still all about putting on the pony show for ADCOMs, non-clinical work might be some fresh air for ADCOMs that are used to applicants doing the same clinical work over and over again.

If you're not trying to impress ADCOMs, find service work. You can get paid more money working way few hours. Even if you're still all about putting on the pony show for ADCOMs, non-clinical work might be some fresh air for ADCOMs that are used to applicants doing the same clinical work over and over again.

what do you mean by service work?

My scribe job pays $15/hr. Emergency Medical Associates

ya9J5.gif

I worked for PhysAssist for a year and a half and no one I knew was making that much, not even the trainers. I quit back in February so I don't know if they've since changed that but when I was hired, everyone was paid minimum wage during training and then it went up to $8.70/hr; trainers were paid an extra $1/hr. The pay raise thing is a very new thing that was being talked about when I quit.

I'm getting a job in a factory. It's hot, dangerous, and miserable work, but it pays $15-16/hour.

Clinical research assistant or coordinator in a big hospital system depending on your experience and skills. It's what I do. I make 23/hr with a masters degree

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using SDN Mobile

Working as a personal trainer might be less than optimal. If you do go that route, make sure that you get paid $15/hr for every hour that you are at your place of employment. Many commercial gyms will pay $15/hr for every hour that you spend working with a client. However, they won't give you a full schedule, so you might end up pulling in closer to $70/day. You essentially end up spending eight hours at a gym but only get paid for four or five hours of work.

I agree that service work is the way to go to maximize your income during your gap year. If your primary goal is to improve your chances of being accepted to med school this cycle, then tutoring or working as a lab assistant both sound great. Keep in mind that a year is a pretty good stretch of time, so make sure that you find something relatively enjoyable.

Good luck!

-Bill R.

Clinical research assistant or coordinator in a big hospital system depending on your experience and skills. It's what I do. I make 23/hr with a masters degree

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using SDN Mobile

this is my goal. I have 6 months experience working as an intern on clinical research but most people want like 2-5 years... how am i supposed to get experience if I cant get hired to get experience in the first place...

Working as a personal trainer might be less than optimal. If you do go that route, make sure that you get paid $15/hr for every hour that you are at your place of employment. Many commercial gyms will pay $15/hr for every hour that you spend working with a client. However, they won't give you a full schedule, so you might end up pulling in closer to $70/day. You essentially end up spending eight hours at a gym but only get paid for four or five hours of work.

I agree that service work is the way to go to maximize your income during your gap year. If your primary goal is to improve your chances of being accepted to med school this cycle, then tutoring or working as a lab assistant both sound great. Keep in mind that a year is a pretty good stretch of time, so make sure that you find something relatively enjoyable.

Good luck!

-Bill R.

that was my concern as well.

I figured I can get about 20 hours of clientele training time and do part time as a lab/research assistant/tech. one can hope :D