Gap year job: Research or Medical Receptionist/Assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fun10139med

Reaction score
Hi all!

I recently got offered two great positions for my gap year and am conflicted. I currently have 900 research hours within 2 labs. I have only around 300 clinical volunteering (after covid i’m projecting a +150 since i want to continue volunteering IF i get a job that’s not fully full time lol).

The research position is at a T5 school where I am applying to and is on an interesting topic (asthma) (not something I’ve had experience with in the past in studying but nonetheless cool). It is full time and pays the same as the medical office one. However since this is full time, I won’t be able to continue my hospital volunteer work.

The medical assistant/receptionist is at a plastic surgeon private practice. It’s definitely something I haven’t had experience with (front desk in medical office) so it may be helpful to learn about the administrative aspects of healthcare. This position is almost full time but it leaves me like two half days where I can volunteer clinically or do other things (like continue doing some research work with my other lab)

Which do y’all think would be more beneficial for me? In terms of learning experience there and to make my app stronger? (obv only for secondaries or interviews)

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I would definitely go for a research position in the university, especially since you have clinical hours already. Opportunities like this really open up doors for you.

Reactions: 3 users
I would do the research opportunity. Build up a little funding basket, pay off some loans, and network your butt off along the way so they know your name when you apply.

There are infinite opinions, but I say if you are lucky enough to be offered a job during what could be a second Great Depression, you grab it.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 2 users