gap year job that allows time for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rightfooted

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question in what I should do in this gap year. I have a 30 MCAT and 3.7 GPA (bio and chem double major)(3.68 Science GPA). I have about two years of college research experience and am a EMT-B. What kind of job can I get that will permit me to take time off for medical school interviews? I am concerned that most jobs will not be tolerant of that.
 
Can't you be an EMT and get scheduled time off for interviews?
Research jobs usually will let you off as well. I mean, basically, any job that won't let you off for interviews, you should just quit...got to keep your priorities straight. I was doing a research technician job in a biology lab at a university when I did med school interviews, and my boss was understanding.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I worked as a substitute teacher during my gap year. It was great because I didn't have to clear the time off with anyone, and all the people from the schools knew I was going into med school. If I had interviews, I just wouldn't take a job that day. Ultimate flex time. And it pays really well.
 
I'm not seeing that this would be a major issue with any company. Realistically, how many interviews would you expect? Say 10? That's what many companies give off for vacation time the first year if you're looking corporate/business type jobs, I'd bet hospitals would be the same. If the interviews don't pan out as well as expected and you end up with, say, 4, would it make sense to have selected a job that presumably is not as good in some way as other positions only because it offered interview flexibility, that in that case you didn't even need?

I'd go with the "best" job for you, however that's defined. There is no requirement that you tell your employer that you will be going to med school next year, it would be more ethical to do so if you had a med school offer in hand that you had accepted, but as a reapplicant with aspirations to be accepted next year, I can't see any problem with applying for the position without mentioning the chance that you'll be resigning in a year.

Another way to look at this, if you're uncomfortable with thinking about it this way, is will the employer guaranty your employment for the next several years?
 
Rightfooted,

wow, we are the exact same person. How did you not get in? I'm hoping that I will get in =(

I'm working as a lab tech in the same lab I've been working in during my undergrad... Best of luck to you! Let me know how it goes.