Gap Year Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdental8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDNers!

I already have about 200 hours of dental shadowing done (applied already 6/25/15). But for this gap year I'm applying to internships and part time jobs. How would adcoms feel about this when I bring it up for interview as opposed to doing something dental related? I thought it would be good to earn some money now as well as doing something business or customer service related to broaden my experience (I feel these two skills are also important to a dentist).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, from what I've heard from advisors, getting a job as an RDA or even CDA not only helps you learn more about the field, but also shows your dedication to your career choice. It may not pay as much as other jobs, but I think it's the most beneficial if you're looking to strengthen your application for next year.

BTW, shadowing is completely different from actually working as an assistant. You learn 100x more about the field from doing hands-on compared to just watching.

Hi SDNers!

I already have about 200 hours of dental shadowing done (applied already 6/25/15). But for this gap year I'm applying to internships and part time jobs. How would adcoms feel about this when I bring it up for interview as opposed to doing something dental related? I thought it would be good to earn some money now as well as doing something business or customer service related to broaden my experience (I feel these two skills are also important to a dentist).

There you go. Explain that if they ask.

I'd props doing the job that earns you the most money. Keep up the EC's on top of that job

I am a substitute teacher! Not the highest pay in the world, but I can pick my schedule and don't have to worry about calling off for dental school interviews.

I would do something non-dental related if you feel you have enough experience. I see where you are coming from with the dental related job is not only hard to obtain due to lack of experience, but also it is a low-paying job.

I worked at a dental lab for a year, but eventually switched job because I needed money to pay for living cost, food, health insurance, phone bills, and etc. The dental related job wouldn't let me live comfortably and pay off all of my debt. Then, I eventually found a new job as a sales rep, and let's just say I make 2.5x more than what I used to make.

Last edited:
I am a substitute teacher! Not the highest pay in the world, but I can pick my schedule and don't have to worry about calling off for dental school interviews.
how does one become a substitute teacher? =p

To update everyone, having a gap year job has been the best learning experience for me and it is better than one year of additional schooling.

Good luck to everyone in this application process or the next!

To update everyone, having a gap year job has been the best learning experience for me and it is better than one year of additional schooling.

Good luck to everyone in this application process or the next!
YEY! what did you do?

YEY! what did you do?

I am still working as a Sales consultant. I can say that I have experienced all the different types of people that walk in through the door. Some people are really nice and others can give you a hard time, but what I learned from my job is being able to adapt to all of them including the ones that gave me a hard time.

I am still working as a Sales consultant. I can say that I have experienced all the different types of people that walk in through the door. Some people are really nice and others can give you a hard time, but what I learned from my job is being able to adapt to all of them including the ones that gave me a hard time.
This is such a beautiful skill to have (in any area of life, not just dentistry). And you go that job straight out of college? That is very impressive. Keep up the good work =)