Gap year jobs and medical school interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DielsAlder

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I will be taking one gap year during which I will be applying to medical schools. I will most likely take a one year paid position in clinical research. However, I was wondering how flexible these jobs usually are for people having to travel around for medical school interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your PI/whoever is in charge. Some will be more flexible/understanding than others. Just give plenty of advance notice and be prepared to make up the missed hours if necessary.

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely bring this up front when applying for jobs. Just mention you may have to take a few days off throughout the year for medical school interviews. I imagine most PIs will be understanding especially with sufficient notice.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes this could mean you have to be a bit picky with how many interviews to take or combine several interviews per trip .. I see "too many days off" come up as an issue for some applicants on here.

Alternatively, I was offered another paid position with an old PI for the summer only on a brief project. Would it be fine if I did that and combined that with more clinical volunteering during the fall and spring when I have interviews?

That might be easier for interviews.

Pretty much everyone at my research group is premed and get plenty of time off for interviews. In these RA jobs, they're aware that it's a step on your way to a large goal and most PIs accommodate that.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd always be as honest and upfront about your application intentions as possible. That way you can gauge to see if they're willing to be flexible.

Alternatively, I was offered another paid position with an old PI for the summer only on a brief project. Would it be fine if I did that and combined that with more clinical volunteering during the fall and spring when I have interviews?

That might be easier for interviews.

Why not take both? Definitely be upfront with all your potential employers. Honestly, I was busier during the summer with the constant stress of perfecting secondary essays than going on various interview. I also tried to schedule all my interviews on the same type of day, usually Monday or Tuesday, so for the duration of the fall I had an alternative weekend - I worked Saturdays and Sunday and took Monday/Tuesday off.