Gap year jobs that can pay

Started by Endoxifen
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I bartend 5 days a week which is so fun and a nice break from all the hard academic work I've done. I make 1000+ a week in tips/pay and on the weekend I tutor high school students for $80 an hour. I marketed myself for tutoring of facebook groups and by going to high schools and going to the front office telling them I am a resource with my resume in hand. I have plenty of time to enjoy going out to eat, relaxing, seeing movies. This is exactly how I wanted to spend my gap year!
Damn didn't realize you could ask that much as a tutor.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
 
Damn didn't realize you could ask that much as a tutor.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
I started with $50 and hour and everyone was freaking out about how cheap I was. Apparently most tutors in my area charge 120 an hour! nuts!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I started with $50 and hour and everyone was freaking out about how cheap I was. Apparently most tutors in my area charge 120 an hour! nuts!
Lol I'm getting ~$30 from a test prep company with a 99th+ percentile MCAT. Looks like I played myself

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
 
Micro Brews that don't serve food are the ultimate part time job for a fresh college graduate. Most of them close early so you can find work from like 5:00 to 10:00 during the week work until like 1:00 on the weekend(that includes clean up). You don't even have to know anything about mixing drinks and ect. All the beers are like $6 each so the tips are normally pretty good.
 
I worked at a company that had me work from 4 am to anywhere from 3 - 7 p.m., 5x a week. I was pulling in around $65K/year but it drained my soul and social life (too tired to do anything with anyone.) Now I have a job doing translational research working normal hours making between $40-50K/year. I absolutely love my job now and the pay cut was so-well worth it. I have quite a bit saved up now and I LOVE that I took time off from school. I don't regret a thing. This is going to be my 3rd gap year and I'll have a few more before I'm ready to apply. Not in a rush either. And if I don't make it to medical school regardless, I have a few back-up options that I'll be happy to pursue