Gap year jobs that can pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Endoxifen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have taken a gap year, what jobs did you do to support yourself? What other activities did you do with the year? Did you volunteer or do research with or outside of this job? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For those who have taken a gap year, what jobs did you do to support yourself. What other activities did you do with the year? Did you volunteer or do research with or outside of this job? Thanks!

I graduated last year and I am taking two gap years (so applying this coming cycle). Currently I do full time research at a medical school in Manhattan (pays about 40-45k). I also volunteer at a hospital and tutor middle school students on the weekends. I like research but honestly the most important thing to do if you are taking a gap year is clinical and non-clinical volunteering. If you want a job that pays that is related to the medical field, it depends entirely on if you're planning on taking 1 or 2 gap years. I was initially planning on taking 1 year off and I couldn't find any research positions because most places require at least a 2 year commitment.

Reactions: 1 user
Rule of thumb: Higher pay = less experience/more junk work. Lower pay = greater experience/more interesting work.

Basically, scribing is the best experience (especially in an ER) but pays pretty low (around $9-10 hr for the majority of your time there). However, you could scribe at a private clinic for up to $15, but it's going to be more paperwork/office work than working for one of the large companies.

Other than that, I guess you can get a medical assistant job depending on your states laws on MA qualification. However, MAs tend to not learn much. They mainly just room patient's and get routine vitals like BP, weight, and temperature. They do some general HPI stuff prior to the physician visit, but you won't get near the experience you would if you scribed and got to take notes on the patient/physician interaction HPI/PEx/diagnosis/etc.

As far as outside things, I did volunteering. Local women's shelter tutoring and I even re-took my MCAT at one point during this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you did very well on the MCAT and have few to several months available before you apply, MCAT tutoring is a good option, especially if you continue throughout your application cycle. You can make some good money that can be saved to pay off some debt in the future.

Volunteering in clinical and nonclinical settings should be continued to show you're still focused on the altruistic aspects of medicine.

Working as a tech in the ER full time. I make ~$14/hour and get x1.5 for anything over 40 hours (~$21/hour). I live at home with my parents and will have saved up ~$15k when I quit in May. Plus, I gained some really good experience being in the ED. I'd recommend it to anyone.

I won't be living with my family, but 15K sounds like enough to live on if I'm very frugal and I have a roommate.

Working as a tech in the ER full time. I make ~$14/hour and get x1.5 for anything over 40 hours (~$21/hour). I live at home with my parents and will have saved up ~$15k when I quit in May. Plus, I gained some really good experience being in the ED. I'd recommend it to anyone.

if you did very well on the MCAT and have few to several months available before you apply, MCAT tutoring is a good option, especially if you continue throughout your application cycle. You can make some good money that can be saved to pay off some debt in the future.

Volunteering in clinical and nonclinical settings should be continued to show you're still focused on the altruistic aspects of medicine.
yes! MCAT tutoring is good money. I did this recently for like $30-40 an hour with 2 hour sessions 1-2x a week. I picked up 3 student immediately no problem.

Warning on this though... It kind of sucks. It's is just as stressful as the first time you take the test yourself. Plus, not all students are the best students. You'll get ones who have unrealistic expectations of a 518 despite lazy studying for 2-3 months and a 3.0 GPA at a low-reputation college. You'll get students - despite your best efforts and experience - will sooner listen to their friends or parents who have no experience. You'll get students who hire you 2 months prior to the test date then freak out/stress you out when they realize they don't have time to "master" all the content in that time period. It's honestly super stressful and unless you just sort of take the approach of "I don't really care what you do, do what you want and give me your money. I'll give you the knowledge I know, but I'm not gonna fight you when you want to do stupid things".

Ha as you can see, I did not have a good time doing this, but it did make me money. If I had students who were dedicated like I was, it wouldn't be bad but apparently those are pretty rare. At least the one's hiring tutors.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been doing full-time basic science research in Boston, and I have a good salary (45-55k though I have a lot of previous experience and an advanced degree). I also volunteered at 3 very different places with very different responsibilities.

I'm not living at home anymore so I wanted a job that could easily pay for my bills, pay for the app cycle, have savings, and have money to have some fun! IMO having a job with a good salary while volunteering at a few places is much better than working in a health care setting for very little money. I guarantee that scribing/working the ER would give you much better learning experience, but I think you can still get valuable medical experience while only volunteering (as long as you are involved in very engaging roles).

Reactions: 1 users
I won't be living with my family, but 15K sounds like enough to live on if I'm very frugal and I have a roommate.
It would have been doable for me, but living at home for free was too good to turn down. Haha. FWIW- I could have saved more, but traveling, boos, and a down payment took away another $4-5k. Depending on where you live, you could rent and not have to be living on ramen noodles every night. Haha

I've been doing full-time basic science research in Boston, and I have a good salary (45-55k though I have a lot of previous experience and an advanced degree). I also volunteered at 3 very different places with very different responsibilities.

I'm not living at home anymore so I wanted a job that could easily pay for my bills, pay for the app cycle, have savings, and have money to have some fun! IMO having a job with a good salary while volunteering at a few places is much better than working in a health care setting for very little money. I guarantee that scribing/working the ER would give you much better learning experience, but I think you can still get valuable medical experience while only volunteering (as long as you are involved in very engaging roles).

I agree with this. I also do basic science research and while I could have been an ER scribe, I feel like this job will bring some variety to my application since I already volunteer at a hospital (being able to say I did research, clinical, and nonclinical volunteering in my gap year).

That's a sweet gig, and definitely one that would be a talking point in an interview. Wish I could have found something like that down here in the south!

For those who have taken a gap year, what jobs did you do to support yourself. What other activities did you do with the year? Did you volunteer or do research with or outside of this job? Thanks!

I lucked into a job as a medical interpreter. It pays much better than my other healthcare-related options ($16.50/hr starting for Spanish compared to $8/hr to be a scribe). I'm getting a LOT out of the experience, and saving up some money too, which is nice. I've also tried to take the time to do volunteer activities that I enjoy. I just started teaching piano lessons at a blind center in my community. I'm also using this time to unwind and enjoy hobbies. I got a gym membership, cook new dishes often, spend more time with family and friends, read books, and watch shows I've missed out on for the past few years.

Pharma. But don't expect to be able to tell your employers you'll only be there for one or two years. If you work in the development pipeline at a big pharma company, you can expect an industry standard salary of around 60-65K plus benefits. For comparison, research assistant positions in academia rarely pay more than 40K.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a full-time research assistant position (manage recruitment, data entry, etc. for a study) at a university hospital in the South. I make $14/hr, which is enough to support myself although I do have a roommate and my parents helped pay for my app cycle. Outside of my job, I kept up with a clinical volunteering position that I started in undergrad, and I began volunteering through a program at the local homeless shelter - these probably averaged to ~2hr/wk.

Last edited:
Rule of thumb: Higher pay = less experience/more junk work. Lower pay = greater experience/more interesting work.

Basically, scribing is the best experience (especially in an ER) but pays pretty low (around $9-10 hr for the majority of your time there). However, you could scribe at a private clinic for up to $15, but it's going to be more paperwork/office work than working for one of the large companies.

Other than that, I guess you can get a medical assistant job depending on your states laws on MA qualification. However, MAs tend to not learn much. They mainly just room patient's and get routine vitals like BP, weight, and temperature. They do some general HPI stuff prior to the physician visit, but you won't get near the experience you would if you scribed and got to take notes on the patient/physician interaction HPI/PEx/diagnosis/etc.

As far as outside things, I did volunteering. Local women's shelter tutoring and I even re-took my MCAT at one point during this time.

I have been both a scribe and an MA, and I feel completey the opposite. I liked the fast pace insanity of the ER for the years I did it, but my job as an MA is infinitely more hands-on than scribing, where I was basically a fly on the wall. I room and interview pts, meaning I am learning how to take and present a good history (hello clerkships!). I am also learning hands-on skills like the aforementioned vitals and other things, including numbing pts for surgery and drawing blood. I also fill out the entire EMR, including coding, because we are present for the entire pt/dr interaction. I also help with PA's for medications, so I have learned a lot about what goes on behind the scenes (and how obnoxious dealing with insurance is).

What you get to do will obviously depend a lot on where you work, but, if I personally had to choose which experience has been more valuable to my ms future, it would be my MA experience, hand down.

I have been both a scribe and an MA, and I feel completey the opposite. I liked the fast pace insanity of the ER for the years I did it, but my job as an MA is infinitely more hands-on than scribing, where I was basically a fly on the wall. I room and interview pts, meaning I am learning how to take and present a good history (hello clerkships!). I am also learning hands-on skills like the aforementioned vitals and other things, including numbing pts for surgery and drawing blood. I also fill out the entire EMR, including coding, because we are present for the entire pt/dr interaction. I also help with PA's for medications, so I have learned a lot about what goes on behind the scenes (and how obnoxious dealing with insurance is).

What you get to do will obviously depend a lot on where you work, but, if I personally had to choose which experience has been more valuable to my ms future, it would be my MA experience, hand down.
What kind of training did you have to do to become a MA?

I work as an therapist in a retirement home with a bachelor's degree. I love my job! I get paid 40k+ per year with full benefits. Overall, I'm very satisfied with this job and will be sad when I quit in a couple of months to start medical school.

When did everyone start applying for these gap year jobs? Did you started working before you graduated?

For my gap year I'm currently working at a large healthcare company as a consultant and I make about +65K and it's been an amazing experience. Stress is low and my bosses have been more than understanding with all of my interview travelling these past few months. I am also doing some non-clinical volunteering on the side to keep myself busy!

What kind of training did you have to do to become a MA?

None. My office trains you on the job, which is obviously the way to go if your goal is MS, so you don't need to spend 2 years training just to be an MA. Lots of practices require an MA certification, but there are plenty out there that will do what mine did and train a motivated candidate.

As for applications, I applied for this job in early spring, when I knew I'd be back in the states from my year abroad (which I highly recommend if you're taking 1+ years off. I honestly have talked about my experience living abroad as much, if not more than, many of my clinical experiences at interviews.)

I've been lucky enough to secure a full time job in the biotech industry ($50-60k) working on clinical trials and such. I got the job after interning there the summer after graduation (applied around now last year). 10/10 would recommend, it's paying for my app cycle and it's pretty flexible so I've been able to take time off for interviews.

I've been lucky enough to secure a full time job in the biotech industry ($50-60k) working on clinical trials and such. I got the job after interning there the summer after graduation (applied around now last year). 10/10 would recommend, it's paying for my app cycle and it's pretty flexible so I've been able to take time off for interviews.
Do you do wet-bench or clinical research?

I have a full-time job at a medical school doing research which pays around $50k. I enjoy it a lot and I think it's an incredible experience. I did tons of volunteering, both clinical and non-clinical, in college while also playing a sport and have taken the last six months from graduation to just focus on my job, but am picking up another volunteering opportunity soon to keep myself busy before I apply this upcoming cycle! I'm a staff research associate and I think you can find good paying research positions at a medical school, depending on which it is.

I have a full-time job at a medical school doing research which pays around $50k. I enjoy it a lot and I think it's an incredible experience. I did tons of volunteering, both clinical and non-clinical, in college while also playing a sport and have taken the last six months from graduation to just focus on my job, but am picking up another volunteering opportunity soon to keep myself busy before I apply this upcoming cycle! I'm a staff research associate and I think you can find good paying research positions at a medical school, depending on which it is.
Wet-bench?

Wet-bench?

I would say yes, but its very much so categorized translational research, I didn't want to be stuck running gels/PCRs all day or just cleaning lab supplies for a job and not really understand what's going on. I am working with a surgical resident and a PhD. One project is an in utero enzyme replacement therapy and the other is a pre-clinical trial for in utero stem cell transplantation utilizing monkey samples. We're hoping to get into a Phase I clinical trial soon. I think all lab environments are different and right now I am doing the wet bench research associated with those projects, but my PI wants everyone to understand and be involved in all the projects which I think is pretty cool.

I'm teaching high school chemistry. Depending on your state, it may be easy for you to get a certification in biology or chemistry. It's a great way to stay current on the basic sciences, and pays a decent amount for a gap year situation. (Though the teaching profession as a whole is underpaid for how much work they do.) Teaching also means your contract will end a month or two before med school starts, so you won't have the awkward "quitting for med school" talk with your boss.

As a bonus, my students love to hear about my applications and interviews. They are very inspired to see that even their teacher has goals just like them.

I'm teaching high school chemistry. Depending on your state, it may be easy for you to get a certification in biology or chemistry. It's a great way to stay current on the basic sciences, and pays a decent amount for a gap year situation. (Though the teaching profession as a whole is underpaid for how much work they do.) Teaching also means your contract will end a month or two before med school starts, so you won't have the awkward "quitting for med school" talk with your boss.

As a bonus, my students love to hear about my applications and interviews. They are very inspired to see that even their teacher has goals just like them.
How many years did you work as a teacher?

I struggled to find a job in my field that did not have a two year contract. I ended up working in retail, and I thought it was a fun experience that kept my mind off of things. I also continued volunteering in a completely new activity.

Scribe jobs were the easiest to come by for me but the pay is awful. I'm a certified EMT and I've applied for over 100 EMT and PCT jobs for the past 8 months and never got one.

For those who have taken a gap year, what jobs did you do to support yourself? What other activities did you do with the year? Did you volunteer or do research with or outside of this job? Thanks!

Kuchnir Doctor Assistant Gap Year Program. Details here: https://www.kuchnirdermatology.com/gapyear

It's a wonderful, paid gap year program with tons of clinical experience.

"Kuchnir Dermatology has successfully employed more than one hundred of the country’s best future physicians to spend a bridge year between college and medical school working as Doctor Assistants. Over sixty of these students have completed the program and are now attending medical school at UPenn, Cornell, UChicago, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, UMichigan, UCLA, UIllinois, Georgetown, UAB, UMass, BostonU, NYU, Tufts, UConn, UCSD, USC, UTSW, and UWisconsin. Thirty-nine are current employees since graduating in the spring of 2016. We offer both one-year (14-month) and two-year (26-month) options."

Last edited:
For my gap year I'm currently working at a large healthcare company as a consultant and I make about +65K and it's been an amazing experience. Stress is low and my bosses have been more than understanding with all of my interview travelling these past few months. I am also doing some non-clinical volunteering on the side to keep myself busy!

Hey I was interested in asking you a few questions about consulting. Your profile is private is there anyway you can message me directly? Thanks.

any tips for getting into this? I'm trying to save up some cash.

I struggled to find a job in my field that did not have a two year contract. I ended up working in retail, and I thought it was a fun experience that kept my mind off of things. I also continued volunteering in a completely new activity.

What type of retail?

Scribe jobs were the easiest to come by for me but the pay is awful. I'm a certified EMT and I've applied for over 100 EMT and PCT jobs for the past 8 months and never got one.

What state do you live in?

I am also working as an MA without any true "certification" and I completely agree with @PatchA. I feel that I have learned so much from my ~9 months as an MA so far. In my opinion, you get out what you put in-- meaning that if you want to learn, the providers will teach you. I have learned so much about medications, antibiotics, phleb, common ailments, etc. I definitely feel for prepared for the future after this experience. Plus, I only work 3 days a week and make ~40k with benefits(cant beat that!). Pm me with any questions.

I work in full time in clinical research at a cancer center. Pay started around 45k and I'm around 55k right now (2.5 years later). I was very fortunate to be hired on a study that tied in really well with my previous research experience in undergrad. Lots and lots of patient interaction with both English and Spanish speaking patients so it really helped tie all my experiences together. Was able to study for the mcat, volunteer, everything. Amazing job that I'm sad I will be leaving in a few months.

I work in full time in clinical research at a cancer center. Pay started around 45k and I'm around 55k right now (2.5 years later). I was very fortunate to be hired on a study that tied in really well with my previous research experience in undergrad. Lots and lots of patient interaction with both English and Spanish speaking patients so it really helped tie all my experiences together. Was able to study for the mcat, volunteer, everything. Amazing job that I'm sad I will be leaving in a few months.

Dang, I have to find a coordinator job like that! I'm at a large academic institution and my pay is about 12k lower than where you started. Not sure if that is the norm for my city?

I lucked into a job as a medical interpreter. It pays much better than my other healthcare-related options ($16.50/hr starting for Spanish compared to $8/hr to be a scribe). I'm getting a LOT out of the experience, and saving up some money too, which is nice. I've also tried to take the time to do volunteer activities that I enjoy. I just started teaching piano lessons at a blind center in my community. I'm also using this time to unwind and enjoy hobbies. I got a gym membership, cook new dishes often, spend more time with family and friends, read books, and watch shows I've missed out on for the past few years.
did you have to take a course or train to become a medical interpreter?

Dang, I have to find a coordinator job like that! I'm at a large academic institution and my pay is about 12k lower than where you started. Not sure if that is the norm for my city?

I'm sure it has something to do with the city! I'm in NY so 45k + studio rent isn't super amazing haha

I just got a tutoring gig, it's not hard if you scored well. Just apply

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Are you with a company? After slaving for a scribe company for a couple years, private tutoring seems more appealing to me. I realize it's more challenging at first, but being your own boss and setting your own rate, hours, rules, etc seems so worth it.

Are you with a company? After slaving for a scribe company for a couple years, private tutoring seems more appealing to me. I realize it's more challenging at first, but being your own boss and setting your own rate, hours, rules, etc seems so worth it.

With a company, but you get to set your own schedule and the pay is pretty sweet. You could try to do it privately but the cost of finding clients yourself probably outweighs the benefits of setting you own rate. How much do you want to get paid per hour?

I work on a stipend (~$1000/month)with a nonprofit that does a lot of underserved pop outreach work FT, which comes out to be ~$6/hr) I totally agree with the post on the first pg: low pay usually means good exp.

I PT tutor around 10hrs/wk during the evening and Sundays ($20-$40/hr)

And I PT work in a clinic 12hrs on saturdays. ($20/hr)

Ive been doing a similar schedule in undergrad for 4 yrs, so make sure you don’t over schedule yourself.

Definitely find something you enjoy and passionate about, and also where you can meet people (and hopefully some non premed).

I work on a stipend (~$1000/month)with a nonprofit that does a lot of underserved pop outreach work FT, which comes out to be ~$6/hr) I totally agree with the post on the first pg: low pay usually means good exp.

Second this. My AmeriCorps service has been great but the "living stipend" sure does suck

With a company, but you get to set your own schedule and the pay is pretty sweet. You could try to do it privately but the cost of finding clients yourself probably outweighs the benefits of setting you own rate. How much do you want to get paid per hour?

I have a part-time job I really like, so tutoring would be secondary and the more I could make, the better.

I'm going through the hiring process with Kaplan currently, if anyone has insight on being hired by them I'd appreciate it.

I bartend 5 days a week which is so fun and a nice break from all the hard academic work I've done. I make 1000+ a week in tips/pay and on the weekend I tutor high school students for $80 an hour. I marketed myself for tutoring of facebook groups and by going to high schools and going to the front office telling them I am a resource with my resume in hand. I have plenty of time to enjoy going out to eat, relaxing, seeing movies. This is exactly how I wanted to spend my gap year!

• Love