Gap year opportunity seeking advice

Started by airquis91
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

airquis91

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm in a bit of a weird situation. I got offered to continue my current research study but only as a federal work-study, the problem is that I graduate this semester and in order to do the work-study I have to take classes. I could go back to do some more classes via my GI bill, however, I don't really see the need to take more classes (3.76cGPA 3.83sGPA). I'm not sure if I should take this opportunity or not because I don't want to aimlessly take classes and risk hurting my GPA. I'm open to all suggestions, please help me out.
 
Take some pharm and anatomy they're always good, I'd avoid upper genetics or biochem, they'd get too far in the weeds to be of use. Embryology might not be a bad addition, as would histology if it were a human based class. What I wouldn't do is nothing thinking you've got things locked up.
 
Take some pharm and anatomy they're always good, I'd avoid upper genetics or biochem, they'd get too far in the weeds to be of use. Embryology might not be a bad addition, as would histology if it were a human based class. What I wouldn't do is nothing thinking you've got things locked up.
I've done those suggested classes currently in biochemistry and this class is absolute garbage it goes way beyond the scope of the MCAT but they do cover the topics. but thanks for your input I was fearful that I was wasting my time doing more post-bacc classes. Also, my institution doesn't have many upper levels left for me to take besides genomics and histology(the other upper-levels are geared towards marine biologist), I was thinking about picking up a minor but I'm not sure how that would be viewed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm still in the very early stages of completing school, and have little idea to what medical schools would prefer. Personally though, if you want to continue your research study, then I would take classes that you think would be enjoyable and fun, since this is the only time you have the opportunity to take elective courses. You mentioned picking up a minor, what were you thinking? If you wanted to pick up a minor solely because you enjoy the subject matter I think that is a good idea, but not because you think it would look good to medical schools. From my understanding, the general consensus is medical schools don't care what your minor is. Like I said though, I don't know what medical schools would prefer, I'm just thinking from a "you only live once, might as well do things you enjoy" perspective.
 
I've done those suggested classes currently in biochemistry and this class is absolute garbage it goes way beyond the scope of the MCAT but they do cover the topics. but thanks for your input I was fearful that I was wasting my time doing more post-bacc classes. Also, my institution doesn't have many upper levels left for me to take besides genomics and histology(the other upper-levels are geared towards marine biologist), I was thinking about picking up a minor but I'm not sure how that would be viewed.

MS3 and MS4 students (me) will be asked what we think when you interview. Based on your response, I personally don't think you're concerned with how things are viewed, you seem like you're trying to confirm your opinion. My suggestion had nothing to do with the MCAT, I was trying to make your transition to medical school as smooth and painless as possible; I was simply suggesting a good way to use your time. I'm guessing you aren't being honest with yourself, "my institution doesn't have many upper levels left for me to take".
 
MS3 and MS4 students (me) will be asked what we think when you interview. Based on your response, I personally don't think you're concerned with how things are viewed, you seem like you're trying to confirm your opinion. My suggestion had nothing to do with the MCAT, I was trying to make your transition to medical school as smooth and painless as possible; I was simply suggesting a good way to use your time. I'm guessing you aren't being honest with yourself, "my institution doesn't have many upper levels left for me to take".

??? How did you get that from my response I was agreeing with u that biochemistry is a very complicated course and I was just using the MCAT prep as a metric to how complicated it is. I am getting a plethora of opinion ranging from "taking classes after you graduate is a waste of time" to "take a bunch of whatever classes to maintain your study" I am very worried about how things are viewed I was trying to zero in on some sound advice but I do really appreciate your response.
 
I've done those suggested classes currently in biochemistry and this class is absolute garbage it goes way beyond the scope of the MCAT but they do cover the topics. but thanks for your input I was fearful that I was wasting my time doing more post-bacc classes. Also, my institution doesn't have many upper levels left for me to take besides genomics and histology(the other upper-levels are geared towards marine biologist), I was thinking about picking up a minor but I'm not sure how that would be viewed.
It's not all about MCAT preparation. Biochem is a required prereqs for some medical schools now so remember that before you dismiss a class so easily
 
??? How did you get that from my response I was agreeing with u that biochemistry is a very complicated course and I was just using the MCAT prep as a metric to how complicated it is. I am getting a plethora of opinion ranging from "taking classes after you graduate is a waste of time" to "take a bunch of whatever classes to maintain your study" I am very worried about how things are viewed I was trying to zero in on some sound advice but I do really appreciate your response.

"I've done those suggested classes"? You must be nearing a Ph.D. in anthropology and a Pharm.D., kudos? Your biochem class is, "absolute garbage" and "goes way beyond the scope of the MCAT"? I'm saying watch what you assume in your interview, there will likely be a biochemist in the mix and there is a lot more to medicine than the MCAT. Are you suggesting it's a "waste of time" to do things that improve you chances of success IN medical school or success there IS a forgone conclusion? That's what the admissions committee is trying to determine, can you hack it in medical school. Believe it or not, many kids with stellar MCATs never matriculate, they can't get out of their own way and some never understand the reasons why. You were "thinking about picking up a minor", but you didn't know how, "that would be viewed"? Heard of many educational red flags? I was pre-law, guess my school gave up a seat to a non-believer? I am simply suggesting more thought before you react, I understand you aren't being interviewed today, but how you think will questioned when you are. Be careful with advice (opinions) you receive here, don't take too much to heart. You won't be evaluated (viewed) on the classes you took, you'll be judged on how you present what you learned.
 
It's not all about MCAT preparation. Biochem is a required prereqs for some medical schools now so remember that before you dismiss a class so easily

Im talking about my personal experience but i understand where youre coming from.