Gap Year Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeanJeff

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I graduated college in May and am currently finalizing my choice for my gap year.
My stats:
3.95 GPA from a top 10 school
4 years of research with multiple awards and one publication
506 MCAT

My MCAT ended up 10 points lower than my test averages that I decided on taking two gap years. My lab options are at Stanford and NIH. At Stanford I'll be a tech working in a lab that publishes an average of 5 Nature Science Cell papers a year. At NIH, I'll be a trainee but the PIs aren't as good. Does anyone have any recommendations? My goal is to retake the MCAT next spring and apply.

Members don't see this ad.

As much as you might be chasing getting your name on a published paper, I would say just go to the lab that's researching something you're genuinely interested in. And... that gives you enough side time to study for the MCAT.

Being published is definitely a plus, don't get me wrong, but I don't feel like it's something you something you should use as a determining factor as to whether a lab experience was worth it or not. Believe it or not, many pre-meds (obviously not the ones on sdn) apply and get into medical school WITHOUT a published paper. Of course... if you're going for an MD/PhD then throw all of this out the bag and go for the one that can get you the most published papers haha

Go to the place that affords you the best mentorship. That naturally leads to productivity. You don't know if you're going to get your name on any of those Nature or Science papers. You might get stuck doing all the bitch work and not getting much credit. It doesn't matter where you publish at this stage. What's more important is that you're mentored and have a good relationship with people in the lab as well as with the PI.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
the best mentorship
Cannot emphasize this more. There relationship you build with the PI can really help productivity. Not to mention there's a potential letter of recommendation you can get.

Reactions: 1 user
Assumed you are a Stanford grad. Just get your MCAT up, way up.
THEN work on the research stuff. There is a LONG TIME between now and your medical school matriculation date.

Study like crazy and get that MCAT number up, then research.

Crux of your issue is MCAT, not research.

Reactions: 1 users