Gap year positions as machine learning researcher at clinical research center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newbird123

Reaction score
Hi I am a current junior looking for gap year job opportunities. I am graduating with a CS degree and I was really hoping to utilize my degree and especially my focus in machine learning (CNNs, RNNs) while also doing something in the clinical field. I have heard that there are opportunities at clinical research centers as a machine learning researcher, does anyone know where I can find any of these opportunities and if a Bachelors degree would meet the requirements for this type of paid job? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am currently doing ML research in cancer while completing my masters degree part time in my gap year. I majored in applied maths for undergrad so I completed ML courseworks through my masters program.

A bachelors degree should meet the requirements for any gap year opportunities provided you have taken ML courseworks. Having completed some ML project is a bonus. The best place to start is of course your current undergraduate institution. At my school, securing a research position with a student status is much easier and requires less paperwork than doing so without.

Finding opportunities outside of your current school would depend on multiple factors. Do you have a particular research interest in mind? Are you willing to move? Do you need to bump up GPA through addition courseworks? How many gap years are you planning to take? Also keep an eye out for the possibility of remote work since in principle many ML research can be done without being on site.

People with dual medical and CS knowledge are quite rare and there are a lot of data waiting to be analyzed so I think you should have no problem finding an opportunity.

I am currently doing ML research in cancer while completing my masters degree part time in my gap year. I majored in applied maths for undergrad so I completed ML courseworks through my masters program.

A bachelors degree should meet the requirements for any gap year opportunities provided you have taken ML courseworks. Having completed some ML project is a bonus. The best place to start is of course your current undergraduate institution. At my school, securing a research position with a student status is much easier and requires less paperwork than doing so without.

As for finding opportunities outside of your current school, that would depend on multiple factors. Do you have a particular research interest in mind? Are you willing to move? Do you need to bump up GPA through addition courseworks? How many gap years are you planning to take? Also keep an eye out for the possibility of remote work since in principle many ML research can be done without being on site.

People with dual medical and CS knowledge are quite rare and there are a lot of data waiting to be analyzed so I think you should have no problem finding an opportunity.
Currently I have completed some ML and deep learning projects and I also have a research position at my current school, but I was wishing to find a paid position and I am not sure if I could secure that. Also my school is not that big in the intersection between cs and med (weak cs dept). I don't really have a particular research interest and I think it would be best if I don't move tbh, but if the opportunity is good I would also take it. My gpa is solid and I am just planning to take one gap year. Thanks for the info!

Currently I have completed some ML and deep learning projects and I also have a research position at my current school, but I was wishing to find a paid position and I am not sure if I could secure that. Also my school is not that big in the intersection between cs and med (weak cs dept). I don't really have a particular research interest and I think it would be best if I don't move tbh, but if the opportunity is good I would also take it. My gpa is solid and I am just planning to take one gap year. Thanks for the info!
Do you plan on a career in academic medicine and do research in ML as an attending? If you are willing to find opportunities essentially anywhere, you might as well make sure it aligns with your career goals.

You should find a research field that interests you and look for groups that publish in that field. (You can ask ChatGPT to give you a summary of the field with examples of recent papers.) Then you either apply to a listed open position or email the PI and ask for a job with your resume. Good luck!

Last edited:
Do you plan on a career in academic medicine and do research in ML as an attending? If you are willing to find opportunities essentially anywhere, you might as well make sure it aligns with your career goals.

You should find a research field that interests you and look for groups that publish in that field. (You can ask ChatGPT to give you a summary of the field with examples of recent papers.) Then you either apply to a listed open position or email the PI and ask for a job with your resume. Good luck!
Im justing thinking of doing an MD tbh. Chatgpt is definitely the goat, i will do that now. Thanks!