Gap Year: Post-Bacc vs. Clinical Work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denim Chicken

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this was posted a few times before, but nothing I found was really helpful for what seems like a common question... :confused:

So I'm a senior Biology major at a decent college with a 3.4 GPA and 34 MCAT, and due to some personal issues, I wasn't able to apply this cycle. There's no question that I'm taking a year before applying, but I'm stuck between doing a SMP and doing clinical work/volunteering/shadowing. My sGPA is about the same (bombed my calc and bio courses freshman year + mediocre orgo grades), and I would be doing the Masters solely to boost my application. But since my MCAT is on the higher end, I was thinking it would be better to start paying off debts rather than spend 30 grand on a Masters that I might not need. My extracurriculars are OK but more clinical experience wouldn't hurt.

If you have any advice or were in the same position, I'd really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this was posted a few times before, but nothing I found was really helpful for what seems like a common question... :confused:

So I'm a senior Biology major at a decent college with a 3.4 GPA and 34 MCAT, and due to some personal issues, I wasn't able to apply this cycle. There's no question that I'm taking a year before applying, but I'm stuck between doing a SMP and doing clinical work/volunteering/shadowing. My sGPA is about the same (bombed my calc and bio courses freshman year + mediocre orgo grades), and I would be doing the Masters solely to boost my application. But since my MCAT is on the higher end, I was thinking it would be better to start paying off debts rather than spend 30 grand on a Masters that I might not need. My extracurriculars are OK but more clinical experience wouldn't hurt.

In response to the thread title: do both. Don't do an SMP (search the forums and you'll find a lot of good arguments in favor of doing post-bac courses instead). Your MCAT's solid, and assuming you 1) bump your GPA up at least above a 3.5, 2) acquire a fair amount of clinical hours by the time you apply, and 3) apply early and broadly, you're looking at pretty solid odds.

Though I do not have a 34 MCAT (good job, by the way), I decided to earn a Master's degree in the gap year before entering this cycle. I did this to get more experience in medical sciences and boost my application. I was able to do clinical research and shadow, etc. while taking medical science courses. It wasn't $30k for me, but I do not know where you live and the price will obviously vary across the country. But it is entirely possible to do both. Go for it if you can, and best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
@Bartemius
I'll have to look into that more, I think I was just set on an SMP from the start because of that nice (albeit useless outside of medicine) extra degree it gave you...it sounds like well-known post-bacc programs are as helpful as SMPs, and a lot of people on here seem to have done one instead of the SMP. Mostly I was worried about the extra money, since it's probably hard to hold a job while studying in a post-bacc full-time.

@AnthroMD
Which Masters program did you do? I'm in Florida too, and I've heard good things about the USF IMS program. The $30k figure came from the first few I looked at, Boston and Georgetown....the consensus seems to be that they aren't worth the money

@Bl4ckout
Florida, and as much as I would love to get out of here, cost is a big issue...

Don't do an SMP. I don't think you need it, and can probably get the same result by doing some post-bacc courses instead. You said that you "bombed" calc and bio, so it may be a good idea to retake those or take more math and biology classes to show that you are now competent in those fields. If you're doing a post-bacc, I would suggest an informal program where you can pay by course and just take what you need. Here are some suggestions:

Calc (I, II, or III)
Stats (make sure it is for scientists, not the watered down version)
Intro Bio
Biochem
Genetics
Physiology

@cuculici1
Yeah, I've seen people call a B+ "bombed" so it would be more accurate to say my freshman/early sophomore core sciences were C's/B-'s just because I didn't have my **** together. A big appeal for the SMP was that you take graduate level courses nearly on-par with med schools ones. My upper division sciences have all been B+'s or higher (3.7 last semester with 17 credits) so I'm not sure retaking classes is the best way to go.

DON'T do an SMP. It's for people with subpar GPA's less than 3.3 and less than 30 MCAT. You have a 34. I would recommend a post-bacc instead of a Masters since it is more cheaper and a Master's do not make a significant difference in decision, whereas a post-bacc boosts your uGPA.

Don't do an SMP. I don't think you need it, and can probably get the same result by doing some post-bacc courses instead. You said that you "bombed" calc and bio, so it may be a good idea to retake those or take more math and biology classes to show that you are now competent in those fields. If you're doing a post-bacc, I would suggest an informal program where you can pay by course and just take what you need. Here are some suggestions:

Calc (I, II, or III)
Intro Bio
Biochem
Genetics
Physiology

You mean Biostats?

@JohnnyRomanes
Does it matter which school I do the post-bacc at? Not just reputation-wise, but would it change my uGPA if I took it somewhere besides my undergrad college?

@JohnnyRomanes
Does it matter which school I do the post-bacc at? Not just reputation-wise, but would it change my uGPA if I took it somewhere besides my undergrad college?

not really. Because if your applying it won't be on your amcas transcript, this is just something to keep you busy. I'd also suggest volunteering so you can talk about it during your interviews.

Calc (I, II, or III)
Intro Bio
Biochem
Genetics
Physiology

sorry for not quoting this with my last post.

I wouldn't suggest calc, stats, or intro bio -- These are time wasters. It won't matter if you do well in them, because it won't be on your transcript and some schools will not accept any grades not from amcas -- take things relevant.

If possible, do an anatomy course (extremely suggest this- upper level if possible -- not the nursing of pre-pt one if you can), a neuroscience course (if offered), and then also maybe biochem, genetics, physiology.

I'd suggest taking some of the "suggested" courses -- because they typically are the ones that first year med school includes in their curriculum. I'd even throw in a humanities (cool history course?). Don't overwork yourself, maybe do 12-14 credit hours a semester.

@cuculici1
Yeah, I've seen people call a B+ "bombed" so it would be more accurate to say my freshman/early sophomore core sciences were C's/B-'s just because I didn't have my **** together. A big appeal for the SMP was that you take graduate level courses nearly on-par with med schools ones. My upper division sciences have all been B+'s or higher (3.7 last semester with 17 credits) so I'm not sure retaking classes is the best way to go.

If your upper division classes are good I wouldn't worry about retaking lower division classes. A few bad grades in intro classes can be overlooked if you do well in the upper levels.

An SMP is useful and interesting, but expensive. Another downside to doing one is that if you can't do well, it looks bad when applying to med school because it basically indicates that you are not capable of handling it. There is a lot of risk to doing an SMP, but it has helped out many applicants and if you are interested in the material it may not be a bad idea.

I would personally suggest an informal post-bacc, and take some upper division classes that you have not completed yet to raise sGPA.

If your upper division classes are good I wouldn't worry about retaking lower division classes. A few bad grades in intro classes can be overlooked if you do well in the upper levels.

An SMP is useful and interesting, but expensive. Another downside to doing one is that if you can't do well, it looks bad when applying to med school because it basically indicates that you are not capable of handling it. There is a lot of risk to doing an SMP, but it has helped out many applicants and if you are interested in the material it may not be a bad idea.

I would personally suggest an informal post-bacc, and take some upper division classes that you have not completed yet to raise sGPA.

That was my biggest worry honestly, that if I did the SMP something would happen and I'd screw it up, shooting my chances of admission to near-zero. From some other posts I've read, it sounds like finishing with less than ~3.8 would barely help your odds anyway. And none that I've seen do financial aid besides loans, so that's another $X0,000 of debt.

A post-bacc might be better from what you said, and it'd leave enough room to work or volunteer part-time. How do they do admissions for those programs? Would I aim for a post-bacc from my first choice medical school?

That was my biggest worry honestly, that if I did the SMP something would happen and I'd screw it up, shooting my chances of admission to near-zero. From some other posts I've read, it sounds like finishing with less than ~3.8 would barely help your odds anyway. And none that I've seen do financial aid besides loans, so that's another $X0,000 of debt.

A post-bacc might be better from what you said, and it'd leave enough room to work or volunteer part-time. How do they do admissions for those programs? Would I aim for a post-bacc from my first choice medical school?

I would recommend taking open enrollment classes at your local state school, if that opportunity exists. There are a few formal programs you can look into but I don't think you need to do them and they are also more expensive.

Definitely take the post-bac route. You're trying to boost your uGPA, not add an insignificant graduate degree. Take a few classes that will get you guaranteed As to get your GPA over 3.5 (like a year of stats) and a few carefully selected upper levels like genetics or microbio or physio. My understanding is that taking these classes, on your own, at a 4-year college is much cheaper than the SMP route and will bump your uGPA rather than add good grades to a separate program of study that very well might be overlooked...

I would recommend some post-bacc classes in the mean time to boost your uGPA before applying. Get some research involvement as well. Your MCAT score is really good.

I would recommend some post-bacc classes in the mean time to boost your uGPA before applying. Get some research involvement as well. Your MCAT score is really good.

Haha you'd be surprised how little comfort a high MCAT brings; if I were on an admissions committee, I would take the kid with hundreds of clinical hours and a good personality over the high numbers in a heartbeat. Post-bacc seems like the way to go for my situation (at least over an SMP), but I'm worried about doing something unstructured...on the plus side, my school has neither an SMP nor any post-bacc offerings, so I'll be going somewhere new for my "off"-year no matter what.