Gap year thoughts 3.6x gpa, 521mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ignorantsince2016

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is such a repetitive question asked here, but I'd really like more takes on it. Do you think taking a gap year is worth the 0.10 gpa increase (3.7x range) and the improvement in grade trend?

Right now, I'm thinking of applying to medical school. I've taken the mcat and I'm happy with my score, but not so much my transcript. Second semester sophomore year I destroyed my classes. I basically ended up with two withdrawals a C+ in an elective, a D+ in a non-prerequisite science course, and a C in a prereq lab (I dropped the lecture). I had three semesters after where I maintained a 4.0, but that bad semester is very recent. I really want to get a good merit scholarship for medical school so I'm not caught up in finances and work during medical school, but I'm not sure how realistic this is with my grades.

I got into two car accidents during a really bad snow storm and completely lost my car. I commute to school and my insurance covered the debt that was on my car so I came out with no car. I tried commuting with uber and such, but I was unrealistically broke so I withdrew from my morning class. I take care of all of my personal finances, because I grew up with a single mom and I have three other younger siblings she cares for. I spent the month building my credit and prayed to god that some bank would let me finance a car at 19. I finally replaced my car mid march, but playing catch up was hard and it was either me paying back my financial aid or keeping atleast 13 credits worth of classes.

sorry in advance if this should've been in wamc

Members don't see this ad.

This is such a repetitive question asked here, but I'd really like more takes on it. Do you think taking a gap year is worth the 0.10 gpa increase (3.7x range) and the improvement in grade trend?

Right now, I'm thinking of applying to medical school. I've taken the mcat and I'm happy with my score, but not so much my transcript. Second semester sophomore year I destroyed my classes. I basically ended up with two withdrawals a C+ in an elective, a D+ in a non-prerequisite science course, and a C in a prereq lab (I dropped the lecture). I had three semesters after where I maintained a 4.0, but that bad semester is very recent. I really want to get a good merit scholarship for medical school so I'm not caught up in finances and work during medical school, but I'm not sure how realistic this is with my grades.

I got into two car accidents during a really bad snow storm and completely lost my car. I commute to school and my insurance covered the debt that was on my car so I came out with no car. I tried commuting with uber and such, but I was unrealistically broke so I withdrew from my morning class. I take care of all of my personal finances, because I grew up with a single mom and I have three other younger siblings she cares for. I spent the month building my credit and prayed to god that some bank would let me finance a car at 19. I finally replaced my car mid march, but playing catch up was hard and it was either me paying back my financial aid or keeping atleast 13 credits worth of classes.

sorry in advance if this should've been in wamc
I would apply for sure if you are good in all other areas. maybe have some more safety schools but you can talk to your problems, just like I will (friend does from drug od and then I got in a bad car accidet..... 88 year olds should get uber for free). but unless your deficient elsewhere the 521 is a banging score!

Sent from my SM-G935P using SDN mobile

I would probably apply now. Your 521 is a stellar score, and your GPA isn’t too far below many schools.

Unless you want to apply to T20, I would take a shot.

Reactions: 1 user
Small addendum:

84.2% of AMCAS applicants with a GPA 3.60-3.79 and an MCAT of 518 or higher received at least one acceptance.