Gap Year? Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReefingDoctor2012

Reaction score
So I've always heard that Dental school frown on a GAP year and I was wondering what people did/do during a gap year? I was going to take classes in the fall/spring next year to pass time and stay academically active but given whats going on in the world and some personal matters I'm just considering taking a gap year. (Still applying this fall).

Is it frowned upon? I already work as an assistant and the only area I could work on is volunteer more but the places I volunteer at are shut down or aren't taking in volunteers. I have 600+ hours anyways.

Members don't see this ad.

Taking a gap year is definitely not frowned upon. I think you’ll find that most people on this forum have taken gap year(s) whether it be to study, take more classes, or work.

Reactions: 1 users
There's no rule book, I don't know where this stuff comes from. I took 2 gap years because that was best for me and literally no school cared. As long as you're doing something those years or year, it doesn't even matter. If anything, just be prepared to answer a question about what you did during your gap year(s).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently taking 2 gap years doing dental research at the NIH. I'm just about to finish my first year and this upcoming second year I'll be applying to schools. I love my experience so far. I moved across the country to a region where I know no one. It was definitely scary but it felt good to push myself out of my comfort zone. I feel like I've really been able to grow as a person living in the "real world", and I'm definitely making lots of really good networking connections at the NIH. I would highly recommend it!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think its frowned upon at all...many of my class, if not half my class, took one or more years off to do other things before coming to dental school. Just use your time wisely and it sounds like you will since you assist

I took a gap year and got accepted! Only in one interview did they ask me what i was doing in my gap year. otherwise they didn't care. have fun and travel some and relax, maybe have some different life experiences besides working and volunteering that could add to your app, take up a hobby or something fun!!

I took two gap years and definitely agree with the above post to get your traveling in while you have the time! During my 2 years I became a dental assistant and worked to do some international travel, worked on a masters, and took on some long-term leadership/volunteer positions that look great on an app. I personally thought it was great to take a break between 2 intense academic programs and to just take some time to do things for me while working on strengthening my dental application.

Reactions: 1 user
I took a gap year and worked as a dental assistant. I have so much experience and I’ll be ahead when I start dental school in august