Gap year vs non gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajax224

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked probably a million times, but what is everyone's opinions on gap year vs not gap year? (Also I'm new to this website so bear with me pls)

I'm going to be a Junior in August and my gpa is decent but I have an upward trend and if I apply as a traditional student I'd have roughly a 3.6 (both c and s). I know taking a gap year would improve myself as an applicant (another year for gpa boost, mcat taken at end of summer so i can focus on it instead of balancing with classes, and ~1.5 years working as an EMT).

This is a fairly new idea to me, I was always set on going straight through. It's hard for me to tell whether it's my "pride" keeping me wanting to go straight through or if I'm just so excited to get to med school. I'm not sure.

Just looking for general pros/cons/advice on this topic. Especially because gap years have become more common in recent years. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Taking a gap year is fairly common these days. According to a premedical advisor I spoke to recently, some schools actually prefer it if applicants take gap years. Do what you think will be best for you. Also--I say this as a reapplicant--do whatever you can to make sure that you will not have to apply twice.

Reactions: 1 user
A 3.6 does not need a gap year, if that is the main motivating factor for you. If you aren't lacking $$ to apply with, don't have some awesome exciting way to spend the gap year, and don't need the year for grades/ECs, I'd just go the traditional route.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 3.6 does not need a gap year, if that is the main motivating factor for you. If you aren't lacking $$ to apply with, don't have some awesome exciting way to spend the gap year, and don't need the year for grades/ECs, I'd just go the traditional route.

This isn't super necessary, but I go to college in the same town I grew up in so I really want to go to med school out of state, which I know is tougher to get into. I'll still apply in state to some, of course. Just wondering if that changes your opinion at all bc I forgot to add that into my original post.

This isn't super necessary, but I go to college in the same town I grew up in so I really want to go to med school out of state, which I know is tougher to get into. I'll still apply in state to some, of course. Just wondering if that changes your opinion at all bc I forgot to add that into my original post.
These kinds of things are impossible to answer without an MCAT score; as an analogy it's like a high schooler wondering if they should do X extracurricular activity to get into Yale when they haven't yet taken the SAT. If you score very well, a 3.6 will not hold you back from getting into a lot of mid-tier private MD schools all over the country. If you score on the weaker side, then your public school might become your best chance/most likely destination no matter what.

As someone that did a gap year myself, I feel like there are some cases where it makes a lot of sense. Awesome international year like through Fulbright teaching? Do it. Broke as hell and burnt out on schooling? Do it. Late to decide to be premed and sorely need volunteering or clinical hours? Do it.

But if your grades are fine, scores are fine, ECs are fine, bank account is fine, you're excited to be a med student, and your gap year job would be something meh like scribing or being a low-level research tech...full speed ahead would be my advice.