Gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slim Ma

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I enrolled at a 4-year school on a basketabll scholarship and took a redshirt year my first year. Which basically means I will be in school for 5 years. I’m in my 3rd year now and I believe that I may be cut from the basketball team this spring. Up until this point I had planned on graduating in 5 years and applying to dental school next summer, June 2019. But now with not being on the team anymore why would I want to go to school for an extra year. So I’m trying to determine if i should try to apply this summer, June 2018. Or take a gap year or just graduate in 5? Here are my application specs right now:

GPA: 3.98

Have taken all pre-reqs except Biochem (can take that next year)

Haven’t taken DAT but would this may, start studying now if that’s the case.

Member of a National leadership society

Have worked at a non-profit directly supporting disabled adults for 1.5 years now

Been a full-time student-athlete for the past three years

What concerns me is that I do not have shadow or volunteer hours as I was planning on starting that this spring and continue through next year. I’m confident I could get about 100 hours shadowing before applications this summer, but my volunteer hours would be very minimal. I did some basketball camps over the summer that worked with children closely but that doesn’t seem too useful. Let me know what if you think the volunteer hours would be a big issue or not, or any other opinions about my situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Just shadow right now. like 20 hours a week (4 hours a day) for 5+ weeks on weekdays. Volunteer only on weekends. It's not the most entertaining experience after seeing the same things but try to get to 100 hours of shadowing and like 50-150 volunteer hours or something.

ALWAYS apply early if possible. A gap year is literally just letting the schools charge you more (aint getting cheaper) and delaying your income as well.

My personal opinion - I would try to finish your degree in 4 years and still take the gap year. an admission officer once told me he considers the gap year an "enrichment" year. you are not taking a gap from anything if you are still working toward your goal. in the time in between, you can work, volunteer, shadow, and gain more experience in the medical field. If you wanted to apply this summer youd have to rush your experiences as well as your DAT and I dont think thats a great idea.

I wouldn't stay in school for 5 years though to finish you undergrad. Get that out of the way and graduate in 4 if possible. If you're still in school that 5th year you will be limited in your opportunities due to time. You have a good GPA and im sure you will have a good application by next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
I am in a gap year right now and have no regrets. I've been able to volunteer, shadow, lecture at my uni, do research, make money, travel, and relax. Highly recommend no matter what your stats are. Just make it extremely productive. Be prepared to answer questions about why you would want a gap year with your high stats because they will ask you. Also it's best not to rush the DAT if possible.