Gap years options reapplicant, clinical research coordinator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

depression_is_in

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT 514, GPA 3.75, Graduated 2018, MCAT/Applied 2019 (2 interviews, all rejections), working at the NIH as a postbac 2018-current (have been published, research heavy MD-only application)

Thinking about applying for jobs as Clinical Research Coordinator with a specific medical school (ie. in their hospital) for 2020 August, apply 2021, working as CRC from August 2020-matriculation (June 2021).

Does CRC have enough patient-contact for it to be a similar amount of patient interaction as a medical scribe, CNA, etc? I need more clinical hours (have around ~200, research~3500). Or will they see CRC as a role that is similar to my NIH research experience?

Scribing has its cons for sure, and I have my CNA, but would prefer to use my bachelors in a gap role as opposed to grinding it out as a CNA. Any other options to get meaningful clinical experience (translating?) is welcome as well.

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on the CRC job. I would say that CNA has much more patient-contact than a CRC as you'll most likely only consent for research studies as a CRC. I think if you're really gunning for meaningful clinical experience go CNA, you already have decent research experience.

I think this really depends on the role. I've been a CNA and a CRC and I got way more clinical experience as a CRC. Most of the work I did as a CNA was in-home and involved a lot of housekeeping (I'm sure it's different if you're in a nursing home or hospital). As a CRC, you can sit in on procedures, take histories, perform assessments, EEGs, MRIs, phlebotomy, EKGs, etc. Or you can be stuck at a desk all day submitting forms to the IRB. It just depends.

Members don't see this ad :)
CRC but look for something that is heavy on patient contact. Also look into non clinical volunteering - you need to show you can get outside your comfort zone and can serve diverse/less fortunate populations.

Last edited:
CRC but look for something that is heavy on patient contact. Also look into non clinical volunteering - you need to show you can get outside your comfort zone and can serve diverse/less fortunate populations.

80 hours w/ hispanic kids, 80 hours @ nursing home, 20 hours and counting tutoring inner-city youths.... but thanks

I think this really depends on the role. I've been a CNA and a CRC and I got way more clinical experience as a CRC. Most of the work I did as a CNA was in-home and involved a lot of housekeeping (I'm sure it's different if you're in a nursing home or hospital). As a CRC, you can sit in on procedures, take histories, perform assessments, EEGs, MRIs, phlebotomy, EKGs, etc. Or you can be stuck at a desk all day submitting forms to the IRB. It just depends.

Very helpful. would you be ok with talking over dm?

Scribing has its cons for sure, and I have my CNA, but would prefer to use my bachelors in a gap role as opposed to grinding it out as a CNA. Any other options to get meaningful clinical experience (translating?) is welcome as wel

May I ask what your "cons" to scribing are? From my experience, scribing is typically great exposure to the physician-patient interaction and you really see what it is like to see patient after patient in a busy clinical setting. Beyond that, you learn how to write H&Ps and SOAP notes which will come in very handy in medical school when your classmates may not have had that exposure. You may also pick up some medical knowledge by listening to the physician you are working with when they are explaining treatment plans to patients or family members.

Personally, I didn't scribe but I knew people that did and they had nothing but good things to say.

May I ask what your "cons" to scribing are? From my experience, scribing is typically great exposure to the physician-patient interaction and you really see what it is like to see patient after patient in a busy clinical setting. Beyond that, you learn how to write H&Ps and SOAP notes which will come in very handy in medical school when your classmates may not have had that exposure. You may also pick up some medical knowledge by listening to the physician you are working with when they are explaining treatment plans to patients or family members.

Personally, I didn't scribe but I knew people that did and they had nothing but good things to say.

If you are a resident- I'm sure its changed since ten years ago.... Those I know who scribed had a hard time getting into medical schools. Doctors that I have shadowed feel as though scribes are more in it for themselves than they are a necessary piece of the health team, its great "exposure" but also not in the way that you are actually getting patient experience. My feeling is its a job made purely for pre-meds- whereas CNA you are at least a necessary part of the team. It used to be a lot more meaningful if I had to guess but now there are so many kids that do it it doesn't help you stand out in a unique way- CNA takes more grit so less people are likely to do it maybe. I am cynical about it to be fair because I know a fair amount who scribed and didn't get in, and have talked to doctors who opted out of their scribing service because they were sick of the scribes they had.

Reactions: 1 users
CRC can be a good option as long as you are really focused on getting clinical and volunteer hours. For what it's worth, people I know who scribed really excelled in med school, especially clinical years. Good experience for sure if you find a good fit.