Gap years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MakeIT2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in 2015 with a 3.3 GPA-worked in banking for 2 years and now wants to go to dental school, what are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

You need to prepare for the dat. Take a good dat Score 22+
Do more volunteering and shadowing hours.
Then apply after doing that.
We can't tell you about your chances based on GPA alone
So what you have some gap years, what's important is what you do after you decide to go to dental schools.
have you taken the pre-requisites courses for dental schools?
and also it wouldn't hurt to take some classes at a community college or a university to boast your gpa.

You need to prepare for the dat. Take a good dat Score 22+
Do more volunteering and shadowing hours.
Then apply after doing that.
We can't tell you about your chances based on GPA alone
So what you have some gap years, what's important is what you do after you decide to go to dental schools.
have you taken the pre-requisites courses for dental schools?
and also it wouldn't hurt to take some classes at a community college or a university to boast your gpa.
I have taken all the prerequisites and my science GPA is really good. I work a full time job in banking so I would have to shadow, study and even volunteer all while trying to meet the deadlines... I think I will just focus on the exam right now. Prep material advice? Chad, Cliff, DAT& Math Destroyer , Bootcamp?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have taken all the prerequisites and my science GPA is really good. I work a full time job in banking so I would have to shadow, study and even volunteer all while trying to meet the deadlines... I think I will just focus on the exam right now. Prep material advice? Chad, Cliff, DAT& Math Destroyer , Bootcamp?
Do well on the DAT, find a local dentist that works on the weekend to shadow, volunteer on Sundays. All the DAT resources you've mentioned are sound; maybe add Achiever/Topscore/Crack DATPAT for additional exam practice.

I think you should read a lot of breakdowns to get a feel for the best materials to use, but I personally found all of the resources you listed to be extremely helpful in my preparation.

As for your chances, your GPA is on the lower side so you want to aim for as high a DAT score as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Do well on the DAT, find a local dentist that works on the weekend to shadow, volunteer on Sundays. All the DAT resources you've mentioned are sound; maybe add Achiever/Topscore/Crack DATPAT for additional exam practice.
Thanks a lot! I appreciate this.... I just told my manager I was moving to part time so I could really get hours in for studying. how many hours per week would you recommended. I am trying to get in for next fall so I want to take it like late July or Early August.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate this.... I just told my manager I was moving to part time so I could really get hours in for studying. how many hours per week would you recommended. I am trying to get in for next fall so I want to take it like late July or Early August.
So you're trying to apply this cycle..? or next?

submitting my application to start fall of 2018...so this cycle which means class of 2022 when I get in

I hate to break it to you, but taking it in 30 days without major preparation will not only he difficult, but could result in a poor score, which is even worst than getting into school ASAP. Be sure to thoroughly weigh the pros and cons of rushing things, especially considering people study for potentially hundreds of hours for this exam.

Reactions: 1 users
I have taken all the prerequisites and my science GPA is really good. I work a full time job in banking so I would have to shadow, study and even volunteer all while trying to meet the deadlines...

Given that you're trying to apply this cycle, doing all of that + taking the DAT in time to apply is going to be nearly impossible. I'd advise pushing your application until next cycle and spacing out everything you need to do.

Given that you're trying to apply this cycle, doing all of that + taking the DAT in time to apply is going to be nearly impossible. I'd advise pushing your application until next cycle and spacing out everything you need to do.
most of the deadlines are, October, November thereabout...I can take my DAT by now and September to meet an October deadline...what do you think?

most of the deadlines are, October, November thereabout...I can take my DAT by now and September to meet an October deadline...what do you think?

Most of the deadlines are that late yes, but an application sent out that late stands almost no chance of getting in.

submitting my application to start fall of 2018...so this cycle which means class of 2022 when I get in
Yeahhhhh, studying for 4-6 weeks while working a part-time job + your below average GPA does not seem like a strong plan.. why can't you study for longer, kill the exam, do some more ECs, increase shadowing hours and apply next cycle?

Don't throw all your eggs in the same basket!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeahhhhh, studying for 4-6 weeks while working a part-time job + your below average GPA does not seem like a strong plan.. why can't you study for longer, kill the exam, do some more ECs, increase shadowing hours and apply next cycle?

Don't throw all your eggs in the same basket!
The thing is I am international student on an expiring OPT so I have to get in this cycle because I would not be able to apply next cycle. The schools I am looking into have December-February deadline so I will be fine. I am taking the DAT in October so 3 months is enough time to score a 21-22.

The thing is I am international student on an expiring OPT so I have to get in this cycle because I would not be able to apply next cycle. The schools I am looking into have December-February deadline so I will be fine. I am taking the DAT in October so 3 months is enough time to score a 21-22.
I think it will be a serious challenge to apply in October on a whim that you will score that high..

The schools I am looking into have December-February deadline so I will be fine.

No man...no. This is a terrible plan. You seriously need to step back and re-think this. Taking the DAT in October means you don't complete anywhere until October at the very earliest. Combine that with your current GPA being on the lower end and it's a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: 4 users
What is your science GPA?

I have Meharry, Howard, Lecom, Case and Maryland in mind...looking into others too

You gotta apply next year, that's just the way it's gotta be. There's just too much to do at a high level in just not enough time. And, applying early is huge, too, which could do next year with possibly actual competitive stats.

Since you are desperate. You can do it if you sacrifice the job and study like crazy. After you take the dat and get awesome scores, you try to get Shadowing experience and apply and try your luck. Nobody of us can decide for you or anticipate the future.
Nothing is impossible if we set our souls and minds to it, but some stuff are just so hard to achieve.
The question remains, are your ready to commit yourself to this path? If you are, then you can do it.

Another route is, if you want to stay in the US, you need to get into a master program for the time being.
It could be anything really.
Meanwhile, while you are doing your master, prepare for dental schools.
Shadowing, volunteering, and dat preparation.
Everything should be ready by May 2018

Last edited:
Volunteering is easy, shadowing is harder to get.
I mean you can volunteer at any place, it does not have to be a hospital
One thing comes to mind that is welcoming any help they can get, a dog shelter.
Other options are museums.
Also the Red Cross.

Since you are desperate. You can do it if you sacrifice the job and study like crazy. After you take the dat and get awesome scores, you try to get Shadowing experience and apply and try your luck. Nobody of us can decide for you or anticipate the future.
Nothing is impossible if we set our souls and minds to it, but some stuff are just so hard to achieve.
The question remains, are your ready to commit yourself to this path? If you are, then you can do it.

Another route is, if you want to stay in the US, you need to get into a master program for the time being.
It could be anything really.
Meanwhile, while you are doing your master, prepare for dental schools.
Shadowing, volunteering, and dat preparation.
Everything should be ready by May 2018
Thanks a lot! I really really appreciate this. I am going to do it and get in for 2018...I am 26 now and can't put it off another year.

I have 60 hours of shadowing and 20 hours volunteering.
Just focus on the dat and increase the volunteering for now. If you get a great score, I think you can get in.
Then increase shadowing later on after you take the test you can always update them with more shadowing hours.

Just focus on the dat and increase the volunteering for now. Trust me if you get a great score, you can get in.
Then increase shadowing later on after you take the test you can always update them with more shadowing hours.
I agree. How much does a misdemeanor and suspension from 5 years ago hurt me?

If you really want to do this, it will be tough. It will be LOTS of studying, and you will need to shadow/volunteer more. It's not impossible, but you are really going to have to all out.

I agree. How much does a misdemeanor and suspension from 5 years ago hurt me?
Have no idea really.
I think you need to talk to a professional about that.
That changes a lot of stuff.

Now I retract my speech about great scores can get you in, dental schools are more complicated than that.
I hope it was not a serious thing. If you will bring it up, be honest and sincere about it, and show them that you have changed.

Best of luck!

How are you planning on paying 400k+ for dental school as an international student? Also how are you planning to stay in the US afterwards. It is not as common in dentistry as it is in medicine to get work visa sponsorship.

Have no idea really.
I think you need to talk to a professional about that.
That changes a lot of stuff.

Now I retract my speech about great scores can get you in, dental schools are more complicated than that.
I hope it was not a serious thing. If you will bring it up, be honest and sincere about it, and show them that you have changed.

Best of luck!
Damn the little hope you gave me is like all gone now. I am still going to try my best and get in. I will explain everything as best as possible and hopefully they give me a shot.

Taking your DAT that late is really not a good idea. Although most schools have deadlines in December or later, they are rolling admission so the longer you wait, the less likely you are to get interviews. Most schools give out interview invites in August/September and without a stellar DAT score they won't even look at your application. If you really want to apply this cycle, I would suggest focusing on your DAT full time for the next ten weeks and also getting more volunteer hours (20 won't cut it). Good luck!

Hey man it seems like you've made up your mind but I would seriously suggest doing a lot more research into past SDN posts and try to listen to what everyone's saying.... To reiterate a couple of points that others have made and to tell you some new things:
- Just because the deadlines are in December-February doesn't mean much. Most try to submit in the summer as it's a rolling cycle. Admissions at schools have said that anything past summer is "late"-- not impossible, but very difficult.
- 3.5 is actually not "really good" for sGPA, it's just okay. It's not bad, it won't slow you, but it's not going to bump anything either, especially if your DAT is average.
- You said you hope to apply to Meharry and Howard.... In case you didn't know, these schools heavily favor Under Represented Minorities (URMs). So unless you're black, Latino, or American-Indian, your shots at these are slim. Since you also mentioned you have a visa, this is another thing to consider when picking schools. Do research into international-friendly schools like UDM or USC.
- I have no idea what a misdemeanor would do or what kind of crime you committed. However, the application asks about this, and it's probably not going to help.
- You also have to get letters of rec from science professors. Only bringing this up since you graduated a few years back so make sure you have someone in mind who you think would write you an excellent LOR.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but take everyone above who has already given you advice seriously; they've been around this community for a long time. Is it impossible for you to get in with average stats and applying late? No, not at all. It's been done. I know someone who applied in October and got in. However, they also had thousands of hours of work as a dental assistant, GPA around 3.9, and was accepted only weeks before the semester started.
This is a really expensive and long process and if you seriously cannot wait, then you know your situation better than anyone. But you're going to need to absolutely kill your DAT, sort out your misdemeanor, shadow more, volunteer more, write an excellent PS.
But I'd really advise doing some more research into the process and schools.

Hey man it seems like you've made up your mind but I would seriously suggest doing a lot more research into past SDN posts and try to listen to what everyone's saying.... To reiterate a couple of points that others have made and to tell you some new things:
- Just because the deadlines are in December-February doesn't mean much. Most try to submit in the summer as it's a rolling cycle. Admissions at schools have said that anything past summer is "late"-- not impossible, but very difficult.
- 3.5 is actually not "really good" for sGPA, it's just okay. It's not bad, it won't slow you, but it's not going to bump anything either, especially if your DAT is average.
- You said you hope to apply to Meharry and Howard.... In case you didn't know, these schools heavily favor Under Represented Minorities (URMs). So unless you're black, Latino, or American-Indian, your shots at these are slim. Since you also mentioned you have a visa, this is another thing to consider when picking schools. Do research into international-friendly schools like UDM or USC.
- I have no idea what a misdemeanor would do or what kind of crime you committed. However, the application asks about this, and it's probably not going to help.
- You also have to get letters of rec from science professors. Only bringing this up since you graduated a few years back so make sure you have someone in mind who you think would write you an excellent LOR.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but take everyone above who has already given you advice seriously; they've been around this community for a long time. Is it impossible for you to get in with average stats and applying late? No, not at all. It's been done. I know someone who applied in October and got in. However, they also had thousands of hours of work as a dental assistant, GPA around 3.9, and was accepted only weeks before the semester started.
This is a really expensive and long process and if you seriously cannot wait, then you know your situation better than anyone. But you're going to need to absolutely kill your DAT, sort out your misdemeanor, shadow more, volunteer more, write an excellent PS.
But I'd really advise doing some more research into the process and schools.
Very insightful and I really appreciate this! I am black just to point out the reason why i had Meharry and Howard as one of my choices and I know professors at my school would write excellent letters of recommendation. The two doctors I shadow will also write stellar LORs. I think my major focus at this point is to get a 21-22 on the DAT to even stand a chance from what everyone is saying. I have been doing calls at the schools I am interested in and have setup phone consultations with the deans about my background. I am doing everything I can to strengthen my chances so I am going give it my all and leave the rest to the schools.... Thanks a lot, a little motivation for the rest of the way.

Terrible, terrible, terrible idea. ADCOMS will know that your making this decision on a whim, with low amounts of shadowing, an extremely late application, a sub par GPA, and BEST case scenario a 21 DAT, you still have a low shot. Wait till next cycle and don't waste your money.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

as an international student myself, most of these guys are right...it's gonna be extremely difficult to do that. If you really go for i, I wouldn't take my DAT later than beginning/mid august. if you do that full-time it shouldn't take more than 6-8 weeks. and yes sadly yuo'll have to cram in volunteering/shadowing in whatever leisure time you have left. If you actually get interviews, the hard work will be worth it. you really gotta do well on the DAT since as an international student you're competing for a very few numbers of spots!
good luck man! PM me if you have any questions! but i'd make a decision fast. and don't even think of taking DAT after august IMMO