You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Gas Residency in Texas
Started by utlonghorn50
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Your score is fine. With a solid application, you should have no problem getting interviews in Texas and matching into at least a couple of the programs.
Let me know if you will interview here. We need to talk sports.
Let me know if you will interview here. We need to talk sports.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Arch Guillotti
Senior Member
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
I got interviews at Galveston, Houston and Baylor w/Step I of 200. I think you will do fine.
I don't think that is true. I think you will find more Texas people in Texas programs because we have 7 schools in state and people like to stay in Texas. But I don't think that the interview process in biased against non-Texans. In fact, my program director was excited that this year that there were more applicants from out of state looking to come to the texas medical center to train.
As I say this, note that I am going to UAB to train. So not all of us stay in state.
As I say this, note that I am going to UAB to train. So not all of us stay in state.
sdboy I hear texas programs are very biased against non-texans. How true is this?
Based on my exploration of Texas programs, I would agree with Gaseous. The best way to find out the climate for acceptance is go to the website and select the "residents" link to see who they've taken the past three or four years. I was reassured to find there are a good number of Okies such as myself in the Texas anesthesia programs.
-Induction Agent, MSIV
Definitely not true regarding out of state bias. Our most recent class has two from Cali, two or three from Chicago, one from Indiana, one from UAB, one from Wisconsin. There were four from UTSW, three from UT San Antonio, and one each from Galveston, Baylor, and Houston.
What confuses me though is how Texas doesn't really seem to have a bias on non-Texans, but has a huge bias on Texans that are IMGs. I just don't understand Texas's stance and why Texas thinks that they are God's gift to medicine.
driverabu said:I just don't understand Texas's stance and why Texas thinks that they are God's gift to medicine.
Hehehe. We just are 😀
MechE, I know of three in our program with one being one of the chief residents.
I would think that someone who is doing their residency at a fine institution such as Baylor College of Medicine would be more open-minded and have a less ignorant stance than that. I was hoping for a more sincere answer than that, so if anyone can answer the question as to why Texas looks down on IMGs in general (especially US IMGs), I would really appreciate it. I also find it interesting how Texas seems to be liscensing foreign-born doctors who completed their medical school training in places like India, the Phillipines, etc. without a problem while holding such prejudice against Texas IMGs.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
driverabu, I believe you are taking offense where none was intended. As a matter of point, Texas programs do take Texas IMG's and we routinely interview more than two dozen quality candidates each year that are Texas IMG's. Have we taken a lot of late? No but that largely reflects a larger pool of applicants from domestic medical schools (both MD and DO) and a greater of number of rotating medical students from those programs which gives them an advantage in the application process.
UTSouthwestern said:driverabu, I believe you are taking offense where none was intended. As a matter of point, Texas programs do take Texas IMG's and we routinely interview more than a two dozen quality candidates each year that are Texas IMG's. Have we taken a lot of late? No but that largely reflects a larger pool of applicants from domestic medical schools (both MD and DO) and a greater of number of rotating medical students from those programs which gives them an advantage in the application process.
I really did not take offense to the response, I just wanted a more honest and non-bias answer to my question. Concerning the above quote, I completely understand why it would put MD and DO students rotating through UT Southwestern's Gas program at an advantage. My question is, why is it that the IMG does not have the same opportunity to prove him/herself by having the privilege of rotating through UT Southwestern's visiting student elective program in anesthesia? I mean given that the decision to allow IMGs to complete electives at UT Southwestern is a departmental decision, why is it that the department of Anesthesia chooses not to allow IMGs to complete electives through their department
Have you tried and been told that was not possible? We have had US IMG's from England, Scotland, Germany, India, and the Caribbean schools. There is a soft cap on the number of rotating students we can have simply because we don't want to have two medical students in every room which would dilute the experience for everyone. It has been traditionally a first come first serve situation with the department starting to take requests as early as February or March.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 21
- Views
- 12K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 570