Gastroenterology as a speciality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gc1983

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,

Im considering my career paths as im about to enter the clinical part of my med course..and ive at this stage narrowed it down to gastroenterology and cardiology....basically Internal medicine...Can anyone give me any advice on how gastro is as a speciality-anyones opinion would be great.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It's a lot like cardiology except instead of the heart it's, ya know, the colon and whatnot.

-Plumbing versus sewage
-Crap versus plaque

Members don't see this ad :)
-four buttholes and hour.

Judd

thanks for that one guys, i kind of knew that already. I was thinking more of career paths, hours,pay, private practice, competition for placements.

gc1983 said:
thanks for that one guys, i kind of knew that already. I was thinking more of career paths, hours,pay, private practice, competition for placements.

It's a lot like cardiology, except with some differences (some subtle, some more dramatic) in the hours, the pay, what private practice is like, and what the competition is like for placements. Also, instead of the heart, you'll be dealing with the colon and whatnot.

I heard the colon is a big part of it, but that sometimes, the liver plays a big part too. there are a lot of diseases of the liver to know about, thats what i learned when I did my rotation. also, you need to know and remember the pancreas, especially if there is a stone, or if there is pancreatitis. so if you like the colon, and the liver, and the pancreas, it should be pretty good for you.

jjackis said:
I heard the colon is a big part of it, but that sometimes, the liver plays a big part too. there are a lot of diseases of the liver to know about, thats what i learned when I did my rotation. also, you need to know and remember the pancreas, especially if there is a stone, or if there is pancreatitis. so if you like the colon, and the liver, and the pancreas, it should be pretty good for you.

So what if you like the colon, can tolerate the liver, but don't care much for the pancreas or (just to toss in a wild card here) the stomach? Can you substitute, like, the thyroid for the pancreas?

i've never heard of a GI Doc taking care of thyroids too, but I guess its certainly possible. Maybe a separate thyroid mini-fellowship, or maybe you could just read up on the thyroid. I'm sure, if you really wanted to, you could avoid the stomach. Although, thats pretty tough, because you have to pass the stomach on the way to the pancreas. And people are gonna want to know what you found on the EGD. But who knows!!!!!
sacrament said:
So what if you like the colon, can tolerate the liver, but don't care much for the pancreas or (just to toss in a wild card here) the stomach? Can you substitute, like, the thyroid for the pancreas?

jjackis said:
Maybe a separate thyroid mini-fellowship, or maybe you could just read up on the thyroid.

you guys are aweful!!! :laugh: :laugh: :wow: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Is it possible to specialize in Blakemore tube placement in GI?

How many extra years will this take?

Hey there,

How's anesthesia at Columbia going? How are our mutual friends over there? :)

-Jason (your LIJ cohort)

powermd said:
That's a fellowship of EM. :(